Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #379
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Definitely....a new thread is needed.

Keep it refined and to the point. There must be a consensus on the most important issues.

Bob

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
Old 06-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #380
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
It might be better to prepare and edit a letter through PM's. Editing with numerous inputs can be haphazard. It may work for Wikipedia, but they have a pretty sophisticated system.

Now, back to looking at real estate.

Gene

Old 06-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #381
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Definitely....a new thread is needed.

Keep it refined and to the point. There must be a consensus on the most important issues.

Bob
Bob,
Yes, of course there must be consensus, or we won't get the number of signers we need to have impact. I will start the new thread and we'll see what happens.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #382
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Your presentation to Thor, should probably quote this comment from Chief, in the opening statement.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
I have been following this thread with some intrepidation about posting, for reasons that will be apparent.

We have owned two new Airstreams: a 2007 20' Safari SE, and a 2008 25' Safari SE.

I resolved every single problem with either of them in a total of two days. One day involved trading the 20' for the 25'. The second day involved selling the 25'.

Towing over 25k miles, and spending 170+ nights in our Airstreams gave us some great memories, and priceless friends. But, in all honesty, I would not buy another Airstream. My reasons do not have to be rehashed, as they have been sufficiently covered in this thread.

I wish everyone that is still chasing the dream the very best, and hope that we can share our thoughts over an adult beverage somewhere down the road.

Keep the shiny side up!

Chief
Old 06-26-2012, 12:05 PM   #383
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
As I and other motorhome owners seem to be already disqualified, I guess all we can do is wish you luck on your venture of frustration.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodguy View Post
What's a motorhome?
Old 06-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #384
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm
As I and other motorhome owners seem to be already disqualified, I guess all we can do is wish you luck on your venture of frustration.

Dave
They got out of that business already. That was my meaning.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #385
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
AS makes two dif clas B mh now. In fact I think the Interstate is the top sales leader for all true clas Bs. They have their problems also I am sure. Jim
Old 06-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #386
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
That fact is lost by many trailer owners.

The Class B, (and other motorhomes) have frames that are automotive standards, so that is one problem solved.

Some of the good points are seen here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
AS makes two dif clas B mh now. In fact I think the Interstate is the top sales leader for all true clas Bs. They have their problems also I am sure. Jim
Old 06-26-2012, 10:47 PM   #387
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Style trumps function

Women DO wear high heels until their feet are deformed and too painful to cram into them any more. I can't wear anything over 2 inches any more - and I never wore the six inch hooker heels.

I CAN afford a brand spanking new Airstream - AND Airstream makes pretty trailers - that leak like sieves, have understrength frames, and floors that rot out. And 90% of them don't get the hard use mine does fulltiming.

Yet in a few years I'll probably buy another one - a pretty shell with decent mechanicals barely USED and stored in a barn for 3 years. I'll spend $65K Timeless Trailers or some other high end customizer rebuilding the frame, floor, seams and insulation - to my specs.

I won't be going to NJ to Colonial Airstream to buy that 30 ft Serenity new off the showroom floor. I know Mr. Botacelli reads this forum, and he seems like a nice fellow, but I simply CANNOT buy new even though I can afford it. Let HIM take up his lost commission with Mr. Wheeler.

Paula
Old 06-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #388
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Our point exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Women DO wear high heels until their feet are deformed and too painful to cram into them any more. I can't wear anything over 2 inches any more - and I never wore the six inch hooker heels.

I CAN afford a brand spanking new Airstream - AND Airstream makes pretty trailers - that leak like sieves, have understrength frames, and floors that rot out. And 90% of them don't get the hard use mine does fulltiming.

Yet in a few years I'll probably buy another one - a pretty shell with decent mechanicals barely USED and stored in a barn for 3 years. I'll spend $65K Timeless Trailers or some other high end customizer rebuilding the frame, floor, seams and insulation - to my specs.

I won't be going to NJ to Colonial Airstream to buy that 30 ft Serenity new off the showroom floor. I know Mr. Botacelli reads this forum, and he seems like a nice fellow, but I simply CANNOT buy new even though I can afford it. Let HIM take up his lost commission with Mr. Wheeler.

Paula
We chose to buy a 1968 28' Ambassador that had been trashed on the inside and had Uwe do a complete rebuild....we knew the floor was rotted and everything except the outside shell, windows and door needed to be replaced or reworked.....we have a 2009 on the inside, hand built......it was not inexpensive but it works really well....we could have spent less had we purchased new but we knew that it would not be trouble free plus we wanted a one of a kind....which is exactly what we got...and we spent 3 months in it last summer traveling around the country......if you want to see it...go to www.area63productions.com then go to blog archives and scroll down to Grand Reveal.....date is around July 2009. (Or see the Summer edition of Airstream Life where we are featured) We can boon dock for 3-4 days.....have solar, nu axles, disc brakes, tankless water heater, Bose speakers, auto stabilizers, Princess cooktop and stove. We are happy campers and while not totally trouble free, it is pretty darn close. paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
Old 06-26-2012, 11:56 PM   #389
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
I have been following this thread with some intrepidation about posting, for reasons that will be apparent.

We have owned two new Airstreams: a 2007 20' Safari SE, and a 2008 25' Safari SE.

I resolved every single problem with either of them in a total of two days. One day involved trading the 20' for the 25'. The second day involved selling the 25'.

Towing over 25k miles, and spending 170+ nights in our Airstreams gave us some great memories, and priceless friends. But, in all honesty, I would not buy another Airstream. My reasons do not have to be rehashed, as they have been sufficiently covered in this thread.

I wish everyone that is still chasing the dream the very best, and hope that we can share our thoughts over an adult beverage somewhere down the road.

Keep the shiny side up!

Chief
Interesting comparison Chief (from a Navy M/Chief). We also traded our Safari 20' to a new 25' for more room and extended trips (20 months last three years). Not every experience is the same, both of our trailers have been excellent. I will say the build quality of the new trailer is improved considerably.

doug k
Old 06-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #390
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Where did the thread go about composing a letter to Bob Wheeler?
Old 06-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #391
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
Where did the thread go about composing a letter to Bob Wheeler?
Hi-jacked.... while the powers that be decide whether we're a bunch of AS malcontents bent on destroying the Company......or not.

Bob

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
Old 06-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #392
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I thought the letter to Airstream was a pretty conservative attempt to ask the company what they would do about the suggestions made on the suggestion box thread. All references to the letter on the suggestion box thread appear to have been removed and the letter thread has disappeared. I expect this post and the two above will soon disappear too.

Gene