Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #401
3 Rivet Member

2011 16' Sport
Tofino , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
We have all given Mojave our sympathy, but will he ever be happy? I doubt it. He has already said that he has purchased a $400 tent and if he has trouble with it, he will return it. He was given options for repair on the AS, but he chose to do it his way.
I had a SOB that was a "lemon", but after 1 1/2 years i traded it. It went so far that the national sales manager said "if I thought I had problems, try legal action" Fleetwood went under on travel trailers shortly after that.
It will be 3 years in August since I got my Airstream. The only problems I have had were not AS related. It must not have been built on a Monday, Friday or start of a holiday.
I think 7 months of dealing with issues and still finding more upon further inspection after the fact fully entitles me to say I gave it my best shot. You waited 1 1/2 years to sell your lemon, I chose to cut my losses and move on when I did. Dealing with a long-term law suit would only prolong the obvious - I was sold a lemon, no one at AS wanted to admit it and unfortunately life is too short to be unhappy.

For all of you who have offered your kind words of support and advice since I've been here - thank you. Once again, I need to move on...as awesome as most of you have been, the unnecessary negative criticism and judging from a few without standing a day in my shoes also needs to end for me.

I'm signing off from the forums. For anyone who'd still like to stay in contact you can do so at Buffalo Road | Travel Stories
I wish you all happy trails! Peace and respect to each of your individual journeys.

Lisa

“How would your life be different if you stopped making negative judgmental assumptions about people you encounter? Let today be the day you look for the good in everyone you meet and respect their journey.” -Steve Maraboli Life, the Truth, and Being Free
Old 06-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #402
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
May the sun follow you in your venture thru life. You have left your mark here that has left many questions unanswered. Thanks for dropping in.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
I think 7 months of dealing with issues and still finding more upon further inspection after the fact fully entitles me to say I gave it my best shot. You waited 1 1/2 years to sell your lemon, I chose to cut my losses and move on when I did. Dealing with a long-term law suit would only prolong the obvious - I was sold a lemon, no one at AS wanted to admit it and unfortunately life is too short to be unhappy.

For all of you who have offered your kind words of support and advice since I've been here - thank you. Once again, I need to move on...as awesome as most of you have been, the unnecessary negative criticism and judging from a few without standing a day in my shoes also needs to end for me.

I'm signing off from the forums. For anyone who'd still like to stay in contact you can do so at Buffalo Road | Travel Stories
I wish you all happy trails! Peace and respect to each of your individual journeys.

Lisa

“How would your life be different if you stopped making negative judgmental assumptions about people you encounter? Let today be the day you look for the good in everyone you meet and respect their journey.” -Steve Maraboli Life, the Truth, and Being Free
Old 06-27-2012, 10:30 PM   #403
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
You've enriched the Forum in your brief stay. If we get back to Tofino, I'll be looking for you both.

Gene
Old 06-27-2012, 11:08 PM   #404
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Paul and Lisa, your experience and subsequent treatment energized this thread and this Forum in a powerful manner. I still hope AS sees the almost 400 posts and comes to the conclusion that you should get some relief. Even if for no other reason than the goodwill it will generate for them. I hope you feel the strong support that came your way from the majority of posters to this thread. I wish you much happiness.

Dan
Old 06-28-2012, 04:36 AM   #405
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Godspeed....if the "Buffalo Road" ever leads to Buffalo stop by and say high.

Bob
Old 06-28-2012, 07:26 AM   #406
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Mohave,
I think you lit a fire. I hope we can find a way to use the light in a productive way. I intend to continue the effort to organize buyers and pressure the comany.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #407
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Question

Mojave - you certainly have (speaking for my wife and me) our support. It is unfortunate that in our free-market economy the bottom line is still the bottom line: profit or perish. It is the odd enterprise that can sustain a long term loss and still be viable ... without an outside influx of $$$. It is also unfortunate that you folks had issues that could have been easily resolved -but, were NOT.

We all have expectations when we buy a new product ... sometime those expectations are realized and sometimes they are drowned by companies without the leadership to simply do what is right. Hopefully - as was mentioned previously - the 400+ posts will not fall on deaf ears / eyes by the AS admin. We still really enjoy our FC20 ... even though we joined this forum and read about the problems several years ago, we still paid the big bucks to buy our dream. For us it is worth the HUGE expenditure - for others an SOB or used AS will float their boat. The bottom question for many is would ... OR ... should we do it again. That is the question that AS admin needs to address in their marketing mix.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
Old 06-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #408
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Mefly, If we ever decide to get another one I'm going to see Frank or TT. I like ours and we have not had many problems but the more I look at I keep visualizing what could have been. Am I being to critical? Probably so. We're leaving on a 3 week loop trip late next week and I hope it grows on me and I know it will. I hope the good times cement the relationship.

Dan
Old 06-29-2012, 12:25 AM   #409
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Good-bye mojave. I like your mantra - less being more.

Your brief time here has enriched us.

Blessings,
FaN.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #410
JT

1973 27' Overlander
El Paso , Texas
I have followed this thread from the beginning and was thinking, as I polished on our 73 Overlander this morning before going to work, how much they have changed over the years. I could see myself in the aluminum as I polished, not a good thing, and was noticing how thick the aluminum was compared to newer models. I haven,t been in a lot of RVs but I was in a 2008 Safari last week and it looked a lot like SOBs that I have been in. As far a quality our Overlander just has one leak, more like a drip, and a little surface rot at the entry door, probably due to a dried out door seal, and it is as straight a an arrow. It is not perfect, and probably never was, but it has huge character! I am proud to tow it and show it off at RV parks, but I have met owners of newer Airstreams that share that same pride. I first started wanting an AS in 1972 when they were the best - hands down. I kept everything as original as possible and have decorated it retro out of respect and likely to relive that era - not easy while polishing because I don't look the same. I think we all want that back and are upset that it was taken away, and possibly should be, but many changes in America have been for the better while some have not.
I love our Airstream and was looking at the Airstream website and the new ones look great. I have owned and run a business and have a little understanding of business and hope AS finds a way to earn a profit and still make a quality product, but I think all of us would be hurt if they were no longer built. All of us are living a dream through our Airstreams, probably more than the American dream of owing a home, and that is personal, not just "business".
Old 06-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #411
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
...I think all of us would be hurt if they were no longer built.
Concur!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...ers-81073.html
Old 06-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #412
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
When you read the history of Airstream, the Beatrice years (roughly the '70's) are looked at as the low point in quality. What will the history written in 50 years say were the low points?

Gene
Old 06-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #413
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
When you read the history of Airstream, the Beatrice years (roughly the '70's) are looked at as the low point in quality. What will the history written in 50 years say were the low points?

Gene
Doesn't matter, these are the Glory Days so make the best of it. The easy-to-get fuel is almost gone (don't be fooled, there is no political solution) and with it the days of pulling little houses about the countryside for fun.

doug k
Old 06-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #414
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
We are going to be buying another, larger AS in the future. I don't know if it will be 2 years or 5, but I do know we will want a 30 footer when we go full time. For me, the question is very simple: Do I want that next one to be worse, the same or better than the one we have now? Of course, I want it to be better. Why on earth wouldn't I?

I can be passive or active in life. The current push in society is called "psychological conformity." It is in a nutshell, the demand to join the hive, don't make waves, accept what is offered and shut the hell up and pretend to be happy. I think that is pure bunkum. I want to be a part of raising the bar for the products I buy in the future. I want cleaner air, purer water, more nutritious food and leakproof travel trailers. Sitting by like a lump on a log proclaiming that I will be happy with whatever is available is not an option to me.

This newest brainwashing program of "psychological conformity" is soul deadening. I don't want any part of it.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #415
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
redwood guy says

"This newest brainwashing program of "psychological conformity" is soul deadening. I don't want any part of it."

If all you do is join the bitch threads and chime in you already are part of it. That's certainly not my path and let me tell you I am not in step with this parade.

doug k
_
Old 06-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #416
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I totally agree, most of the threads turn in to bitch sessions, misery loves company. Jim
Old 06-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #417
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
redwood guy says

"This newest brainwashing program of "psychological conformity" is soul deadening. I don't want any part of it."

If all you do is join the bitch threads and chime in you already are part of it. That's certainly not my path and let me tell you I am not in step with this parade.

doug k
_
Actually, no. That's not at all what I plan to do. And I have already demonstrated that fact. If there be a parade passing by, it is the long stream of those who settle for whatever is on the plate, and then insist on trying to kill off any dissent. "Stop complaining and eat your gruel!"

So to be clear, even IF all that anyone did was "bitch" - even if that was the extent of their displeasure, to simply complain - that act of dissent by itself is far superior to the psychological conformity of accepting what others decide you will accept.

I salute the bitchers and complainers. Hats off to you all! They have the discernment to know right from wrong, good from bad, fair from foul. They are probably people who upon receiving a $45 steak that is shoe-leather tough, call the waiter over and send it back to the chef. Good for them!

I can hear this argument everywhere today. When a guy goes in for a left foot amputation, and they remove his right foot, he would be "bitching and complaining and totally negative" to insist on compensation, right? When you buy a new suit and all the lining falls out the first time you have it cleaned, I bet you are regarded too as a "bitcher and complainer and negative person" if you make noise to insist the suits should be made better, right?

I want my next trailer to be leak proof and rot proof. I want a better warranty. I want a lot of things that are not in today's product. I want excellence, and nothing less! And, I recognize that I can contribute to the process of getting what I want. Notice that I don't come and try to scold people who are just enjoying what they have. Only those who are trying to scold ME for not being satisfied, for not settling for mediocrity. What ax are you trying to grind here? What makes you believe you should stop people who want excellence? What sort of millstone are you trying to become around the process of making better travel trailers? What's in it for you to keep pushing your stick into the spokes of progress? Huh?

"Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit."
- Aristotle
Old 06-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #418
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
I totally agree, most of the threads turn in to bitch sessions, misery loves company. Jim
And after hundreds of posts - you're still here enjoying the company! Speaks volumes, doesn't it.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #419
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
no no no, thats bass akwards....the company loves misery.

If surfacing problem's bother 'ya find another "happy" thread.

I'm a clear conscious bitch'n happy Stream'r.

Sorry if that strokes you the rong way.

Bob
Old 06-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #420

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
This thread has run its course and it is now closed. Mojave we wish you well.

The Site Team

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Closed Thread