Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Bruce, I too am critical and have high expectations. I do disagree with you on Airstreams response.
Airstream is the mothership, they control the dealer chain and need to make this process work. Mainly I think that a trailer that is less than a year old and has issues as severe as experienced by Mohave should have been handled differently, if only from a public relations standpoint. I think they took advantage of Mohave and I think he has some fault here as well. Maybe they just wore him out.
I know about implied and stipulated warrantys and how they work. So maybe you're right technically.
BUT, I have three lawyers in my family and none of them are timid, and I can pretty much tell you we would have a new trailer by now. Squeaky wheel and all of that. There are also workmanship and construction standards and build expectations that may or may not trump any and all warrantys. Thats why people have comlpeted operation coverage. I hope to hear on this forum from AS about this and why it happened. Are you listening Mr. Wheeler. This kind of occurance shakes my confidence in AS in general and especially THOR who is the real driver here.

Dan

Dan

Old 06-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
I do not see Triangle Rv listed as a dealer. Am I missing something? If they are not a dealer they certainly would not go to too much effort to fix your AS. In fact I do not know how they could fix it under warranty. Jim
I might be more sympathetic if I had more specifics. From what I have read here and on the other thread it seems as if:
  1. The trailer had some kind of leak and the owner elected to try repairing it at a non Airstream facility?
  2. Airstream balked at paying a non dealer for repairs so the owner finally elected to take it back to the factory for the repairs that where subsequently made to the trailer?
  3. After this the trailer was somewhere else and somebody said that it needed something else???? The owners then cut their losses and sold?

What else was wrong with the trailer? Who determined that it was wrong? What is the consignment sale you are referring to? Who determined the value of the trailer?

There is a lot that is not clear that I'd like to know before I decide to criticize....

Bruce

Old 06-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Bruce, all good points. I do think Mohave has some liability here as well. Does anybody have a reliable sequence of events thatled up to this? Maybe I'm missing something here too. Were the non AS dealer fixes authorized by AS?

Dan
Old 06-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I do not think he ever took to an AS dealer or the factory. Jim
Old 06-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I guess I'm a little confused about the people who think it's OK that an owner of an A$ that is less than a year old would have to take said trailer on a 4,000+ mile road trip to have warranty work done. At their own expense.
If you bought a new Ford (anything) and they told you. Oh! By the way. If you need warrantee work done. You have to drive it (at your own expense) to Detroit to have the work done.
My trailer was built in 1974. It must have been past the era of "pride in workmanship". When I bought it from the original owners son. I expected to find numerous things that needed repaired. This trailer was in above average condition and I more or less knew it would turn into a money pit. I really don't have a problem with my purchase.
But!!! After reading this story and others like it. I would even consider buying a new one. I mean I read everyday about owners of units less than 5 years old dealing with the same problems I have encountered with my 38 year old.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Who said anyone had to take it to the factory?
This was a suggestion made here on another thread. The owners obligation was to return it to the nearest authorized dealer. This is something they elected not to do....
I still do not know the nature of the original failure or the reported next issues. No need to damn anyone with less than the entire set of facts.
Bruce
Old 06-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I would not consider buying a new one is what I meant to say. In my situation I have the skills to do most of the repairs, upgrades and maintenance myself. So I know where to find the guy that did the work.
I would be " going postal" if I had put a ton of money into what is suppose to be the "top of the line" in travel trailers and had to deal with this kind of stuff.
I don't think it can be held against the owners. They made an effort to have the trailer fixed. Maybe they did take it to a non A$ approved shop. And maybe the guy that made the repairs was one of these RV professional technicians you hear about. My point is. If the trailer is supposed to be the best on the market and the quality control is as high as they say it is. Then this kind of stuff should not happen. I read about the high standards and the ridged testing that each unit goes thru at the factory before shipment. If the standards are that high. How did these folks wind up with this unit?
Old 06-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
He was aware there was no dealer near him. He evidently let it sit at a nonAS dealer for months and let it leak. Try taking your ford to a GM dealer and have warranty work done. If I drive a thousand miles to buy a Ferrari, how can I expect a non Ferrari dealer to fix it. One must be responsible for ones actions. You cannot expect someone to bail you out for a bad decision.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Another lesson from the School of Hard Knocks. But in this case the tuition was way too high. $20,000.
I would not consider anything made by A$ to be anywhere close to the craftsmanship and quality of a Ferrari.
I have toured new A$'s looking in storage spaces to find bits of wire, chunks of metal and wood scraps, rivet mandrels, plumbing parts and the list goes on. Even found a screw driver. Don't think you'd find that in a Ferrari. But maybe the screw driver was included in the price as part of the "tool kit".
Old 06-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
When I bought my new Airstream in 2004 it had dozens of problems (reported here previously). Airstream's service director asked me to not report those problems on this forum, and required that I bring the Airstream to Jackson Center at my own expense, rather than take it to an Airstream dealer as stipulated in the written warranty policy, in order to have these problems repaired. On one of these iitems, I was also required to sign a non-disclosure agreement before the issue was addressed.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Still a non Ferrari dealer will not do warranty work on it. Jim
Old 06-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Don't have to be a dealer to do warranty work

I just had a few repairs done to my new Sport at a non-dealer. Refrigerator, tank monitor, and a couple small items. I am fortunate to live near enough to C&G Trailer repair. They have a long history with AS and know just how to get authorization, etc. for warranty work with NO OUT OF POCKET FROM ME. The work was excellent.

Unfortunately, the OP doesn't live near a dealer, or the factory. I don't blame him for not wanting to get another due to this inconvenience. Not everyone is anxious to drive to "Airstream Mecca" in JC, Ohio. This is a valid reason for not buying one. I had some hesitancy also, when I found out that repair facilities aren't as prevalent as Car repair facilities. But in my case it was just being patience and accepting an hour drive and a slow parts process.

AS doesn't put out that many trailers, so they can't be expected to be everywhere. Life is compromises.

Good luck to you guys. Hope you find something else for your fun. There are lots of good rvs out there.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
I feel badly for the OP.

It is so very unfortunate that the manufacturer of a trailer continually marketed as the worlds best is losing owners due to quality control issues.

I've been a member of this forum since we purchased our 02 Bambi new in 2003.

Our ownership, like many others, can best be characterized as a "labour of love" - we addressed most of the "warranty" or "quality control" issues ourselves - we had our fair share - not nearly as many as some - but considering the trailer was purchased new we had issues that we shouldn't have had - but heck - it's an Airstream ...... right?? ...... it's a privilege to simply own one ..... right?? .... nothing wrong with being out of pocket on some basic warranty issues ..... right??

I suppose we might be called suckers - but in the 10th season of ownership we both still love the trailer ..... wouldn't have another one ..... guess that makes us part of the cult following .....

Having said that ...... we do feel taken advantage of ......

Also in the10th season of following forum complaints about quality control it is clear that Airstream just doesn't "get it" - and are long past the time they should have acknowledged they have a significant problem - stood up to the plate - and done something about it.

..... I wonder if this thread ..... a thread about new owners cutting their losses and cashing out ....... will stand the test of time in a fashion very similar to one of its predecessors - the corrosion thread ......

I kinda hope so ......

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
Old 06-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Good post.

You know the solution, or at least the beginning of one, seems simple to me. Why don't they rotate some of the excellent JC warranty/repair people into the assembly side? Let them get exposed to and influence the cult of quick assembly. I bet they would have some things to say about preventative measures that need to be taken at the beginning.

Of course this makes too much sence to be more than rhetorical.