Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2016, 12:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Atlanta , Georgia
Adding a real piano to an Airstream

So I've been giving full-timing some thought, but there's one thing I can't live without and it's a real, acoustic piano. If I were to live in an Airstream, I'd have to take my piano with me (465 lbs).

1) What would it take to do this?
2) Which Airstream model would be the best for this?

Thanks
jacobjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Based on that requirement, it doesn't sound like full-time Airstream living would be for you.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
it would need to have extra support welded beneath it and then the weight would be still be unstable for towing especially. Maybe someone like Colin could have a solution.
I suggest an electronic keyboard. They sound great and weigh nothing. You may have to sacrifice something for the lifestyle you desire.
A Yamaha grand weighs a lot less...for example.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
To answer the "what would it take" question

1) you'd need to remove something - a couch, one of the twins if you have a twin bed model, etc.

2) You'd also need 24x7 temperature and humidity control (Airstreams aren't intended as 4-season trailers and the swings in temp and humidity year round would destroy your piano without consistent conditioning).

3) you'd need some sort of shock absorption system to prevent the piano from being banged up in transport.

If you could sort those out, I think you'd want something larger than a 27 (which I have and can't envision even the old "Micro Piano" acoustic model fitting).

For the record - I have a Yamaha C7 grand (7' 6") at home - the sound and experience are amazing. Thinking of this in an aluminum tube is a non starter.

Yamaha also made the Electric Grand back in the 80s - this is an acoustic mini grand piano without the soundboard so it needs amplification and isn't quite as susceptible to temp/humidity fluctuations (though it would also be affected). They used to make a "silent" piano for the home on the same principle - you might want to check that out.

There are a wealth of "digital" pianos (including 88 weighted key models) that sound very nice (they will never be acoustic, but lower end models in the $500 range are fairly convincing and the Nord - at 10x that cost - are downright stunning). These aren't subject to the issues raised above and wired directly in to the sound system would be fairly convenient.

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:47 PM   #5
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
I agree with earlier assessments about weight and wear and tear on an acoustic piano. As a working musician, I can attest to the daily pommeling that road vibration has on instruments. Your sound board and pinblock would not survive.

Go check out a nice 88 key touch sensitive, weighted keyboard and a good amp. They are really quite good and very durable. IMO yamaha makes the best of the bunch. check out the stage pianos here: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music...nts/keyboards/

You can great a keyboard and a nice amp for under 2K.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:29 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobjm View Post
1) What would it take to do this?
$$$
Quote:
2) Which Airstream model would be the best for this?

Thanks
Possibly one of the larger motor home models produced before about 2005.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Would a real piano even fit through the door?
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:37 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalweg View Post
Would a real piano even fit through the door?
Maybe, if it was a slideout model, and the slide was removed for access.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
A lot of agreement on the Yamaha. I was thinking of an older grand. They are awesome
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:45 PM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Pick out the best road you can find and ride in your trailer for 5min....then decide.

Bob
Old 02-16-2016, 10:52 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Is there an aversion to digital pianos?
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:01 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Hollywood , California
First thing to worry about is weight distribution, second- how are you getting it inside? Maybe an alternative would be to install the piano on a flatbed pickup truck to haul the trailer with?
Cleareye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:36 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
No matter what RV you decide on, Please also consider, every time you stop and wish to play. You will need to do a full tuning first. This takes time and depending on your location and you are not doing it yourself, might be hard to find someone qualified and or able to get it done while you are parked. Getting a piano tempered is an art all in its self, but a trailer is not a controlled environment and going down the road, from what I've head, is the equivalent of a 3 on the Richter scale
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:39 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
The dude that tuned the piano for Adel's performance last night is probably free to travel with you!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:44 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Columbus , 43220
Like absolutely everyone who has gone full-time, you are faced with negotiating what sacrifices are worth the effort. The sages who have chimed in are right, as usual, but this newbie wants you to know that even this obstacle can be overcome to make a life on the road possible. It is worth the sacrifice because your creative spirit will thank you tenfold.
tumbleweeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:48 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Columbus , 43220
PS: Read The Piano Tuner, by Daniel Mason, an excellent read and I wish you all the best.
tumbleweeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:25 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
I travel with an electric....it's impossible, absolutely impossible, to full time with a piano in a MOVING Airstream (for that matter any moving RV) I started off with a Korg but replaced it with a Yamaha that imo is the closest in feel to my Steinway at home...That's my other baby besides my boats and RVs...but I don't think it's possible to put a concert grand in an RV, hell even Prevost convo makers and Newell would say no (on the Newell front I happen to know they said not a chance pal, but they did install a very slick 88 key electric setup in the rig)
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:52 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
LucasS - in fairness, the OP is talking about an upright - I mentioned my Yamaha C7 and may have confused the issue.

Maybe another option is an 88-key Fender Rhodes? These weigh in at about 150#, have a delicious mellow tone (hammers on tines instead of strings), are slightly less temperamental (a bit - not entirely) than an acoustic upright. You could "unpack it" and store it over the axles while in transit and then set it up wherever you're camping so that would ease some of those problems. You'd still have to run it through your trailer sound system or some other form of amplification/headphones (it can be played VERY quietly without an amp).

I was wrong on the Silent Piano. It's a full acoustic with an additional feature that disconnects the hammers from the strings to trigger digital samples you can listen to by headphone. In that case - a digital piano would be a more reasonable choice for an Airstream.

It would be good to know why having an acoustic is a must....

If it's so important that a digital version is a non-starter, perhaps building a custom trailer that addresses consistent temp/humidity, travel shock absorption, proper weight balance while on the road etc. would be your next step. Not cheap but if this is an absolute must and you have the cash, anything is eventually possible. 😃
Old 02-16-2016, 05:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Traveling with a traditional piano (i.e., real) in an RV???

I'm sure this post was a hoax.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:02 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Actually - I'm wrong again. Jacobjm started another thread with a wish list including space for his grand piano.

Jacob - I love your vision and passion. It's not impossible, but it's going to cost a ton. If you are up for that, knock yourself out! If not - warm up to a digital piano and enjoy camping 😃