Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2019, 06:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Maplewood , Ohio
Acadia Suggestions Early Aug. 2019

First post but avid reader. My spouse and I, as well as 2 med/large breed dogs, are planning a trip, including a several day stop in Acadia, in early August of this year. We are curious of where to stay and how many days you would recommend to be in this are to see the sites. Also, what sites should we make sure that we see? We would like to be on/near the water, centrally located to the sites, and stay in a place that is pet friendly and has areas where we could exercise the dogs. Any advice would be appreciated.
kjseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Presuming you mean Acadia NP, I made reservations two or three weeks ago for 8/1-8/6 and things were already filling up. Friends of ours recommended Schoodic Woods campground which is part of Acadia NP and a nearby state park, Cobscook Bay. Cobscook Bay is boondock camping. No hookups, but generators allowed in hours. It is heavily wooded and had plenty spaces left. Schoodic Woods was getting full. I have no knowledge of the area, just relying on friends who live there part of the year and here in FL the rest.

Good Luck,

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
There is a full-time couple that spent 2 or 3 summers in Acadia. Unfortunately, the husband just died, but they have much information on the Acadia area including kayaking, the bridges, etc.
http://directionofourdreams.blogspot.com

This couple also has spent several summers in the area.
http://rvagogo.blogspot.com
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
We stayed in Blackwoods Campground last August for 6 days and had no problem finding things to do. There are two NP campgrounds, Blackwoods and Seawall. I took a drive over to Seawall and that whole side of the island seemed much less interesting.

Blackwoods puts you right in the thick of all the main attractions including the town of Bar Harbor, fantastic hiking trails all over, Park Loop Rd (a scenic toll road) and whatever you do don't miss the carriage roads. You can hire a horse drawn carriage, walk or better yet, bike. The granite stone bridges are breathtaking and by bike you can see a lot of them. Blackwoods is about as close to the water as you can get, it's just a few minutes walk from your campsite, but there are only a couple sandy beaches on the whole island and swimming at one lake I know of.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Another great thing about Acadia, is that there are free shuttles that will pick you up at the Campground and take you into Bar Harbor during the busy season! They also have bike racks on the shuttles (sponsored by LLBEAN)
Very convenient!
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
We did Acadia 2 years ago. I would not stay at Schoodic Point, I'd visit it for sure, but not stay there as the drive to the main park would be counterproductive.

From Bar Harbor to Schoodic Point is 46 miles.

Bar Harbor, way cool town, hike to Bar Island at low tide for sure.

Any and all sights are worthy on the park map.

If you have bicycles, definitely take them. We biked a lot of the interior carriage roads and highly recommend.

Definitely spend a half day, or a whole day on Cadillac Mountain.

Take snacks, lunch, and water/drinks every day you go out

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
Earthly paradise

I can recemend KOA oceanside, there are great sites on the bay, a little price but the sunset alone is worth it. its on Acadia island and maybe 15 minutes to Bar Harbor. The park loop road will allow you to see alot, then get onto the carriage trails and explore the internal park. If you like to hike or bike there is plenty to do. Enjoy!
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:13 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Holyoke , Massachusetts
I have reservations at KOA Oceanside for the 3rd week in July. Never been to this area so I can't give any recommendations. I have heard to be prepared for a lot of tourists.
hsgsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:21 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Bar Harbor CG

Bar Harbor CG has sites on the water. No reservations made us a little skittish, but they’ve never turned anyone away. (There was a family waiting for our site as we prepared to leave.) Shuttle Bus stops athenCG throughout the day. Don’t miss the ice cream shop next door! Amazing!

We spent 3 nights and found it adequate, though a 4th would have allowed us to see the Schoodic Woods side of the park. Agree with earlier post to decline the Schoodic Woods recommendation (we got it, too). Very remote.

We drove Acadia, but the shuttle is excellent. There is an interior lake that provides the area’s drinking water with a resort that is beautiful. Have lunch there! You want regret it.

Bar Harbor is one of the most beautiful towns we’ve visited. The view from the Bar Harbor Inn is breathtaking. Have lunch or take a break on the beautiful lawn overlooking the harbor.

Cadillac Mountain is cool, but it was windy and cold when we visited in July. It was up, out and down for us. Enjoy!
Johndews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:27 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
This will be the 4 year that we are staying at "Narrows Too" on the bay in Trenton Maine, as you enter Mount Desert Island (Acadia). 2 weeks - Full hookups - easy drive to park entrance - we use our Airstream as home base for our adventures. You will want to do the "loop" road around Acadia. If you bike - the carriage roads are awesome - no cars etc. to worry about - you can rent bikes if you don't have them in Bar Harbor. We hike many of the trails - get maps at the National Park visitors center - near town as well. Kayaking is everywhere - ocean, bays, river - you can do your own or join a tour in Bar Harbor - all levels of trips offered. See sunrise on top of Cadillac Mountain = awesome.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 02:01 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Living in north east, we've been to Acadia NP a dozen times but only camping with our Airstream since 2014. If you have never been to Acadia, suggest reviewing the many options how you might want to spend your time ( you didn't mention how long your visit will be). Although we enjoyed staying right in Bar Harbor with all the shops and restaurants when we visited with our children, now we prefer more natural, peaceful settings. Fortunately, you can find campgrounds to suit your style.
We've camped in and around Acadia with our Airstream and enjoyed camping at Blackwoods, Seawall and Schoodic. Staying in the park surely has advantages but early August will be very busy. You can beat the crowds by heading out very early and also utilizing the shuttle buses. Be sure to take your swimwear and gear to enjoy a afternoon swim at Sand Beach but no dogs allowed. More dog friendly coastal areas can be found near Seawall campground and Schoodic. Both these areas are a bit of a drive from all the touristy areas of Mount Desert Island but very enjoyable. You won't find sandy beaches but you can take your pups and allow them to wade along the smooth rocky coastal areas. Both Sewall and Schoodic areas of Acadia are notably the "roads less traveled" with lots of hidden treasures.
Someone mentioned Coobscook Bay campground, just a fair warning....we planned to stay there a few days in 2017 enroute to a summer in the Canadian Maritimes as the online photos of the area looked so picturesque but we encountered the most mosquito infested campground we've ever been and promptly exited and headed north to escape the horrific mosquito mobs that attacked us.

BTW, on one of our New England trips, we spent three weeks in Acadia without advance reservations! However, we arrived late August after most NE families with school age children were no longer camping. We were fortunate enough to arrive at the brand new Schoodic NP campground on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend. The first year Schoodic was entirely first come sites in all loops. For more details, see my review in Campedium ( literally the first review for Schoodic). I would suggest Schoodic Woods is not to be missed if you are visiting Acadia. The whole peninsula is somewhat sleepy but there is a nice local grocery store, lobster coop that sells prime lobster meat by the lb. which is great for homemade lobster rolls and if you're into stargazing....Schoodic is terrific!
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 02:33 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , FL
Koa oceanside

We enjoyed a stay at KOA Oceanside with our two dogs last August. We had a nice waterfront site, which I highly recommend. The on site lobster delivery is handy, although there are better and cheaper options very nearby.

The campground had easy access to the parks and towns.

It was pre-Labor Day, so the Bar Harbor area was busy, but the rest of the island was fine.

We met campers who moved from wooded campgrounds to the seaside to get away from bugs.
Bob Peahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 03:04 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
We stayed at KOA Oceanside last June and found it a good campground with hookups. We did not experience the traffic that comes in the summer so found access to Bar Harbor and the park pretty good from the KOA location.

One thing that was unexpected was that that electric bikes are prohibited on the carriage trails. Regular bikes are OK.
jnm30327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 03:28 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I appreciate all the feedback on Schoodic Woods and Cobscook Bay. I may revisit those plans. I relied on friends who lived there and reports that the bugs were better in late July and August. I'll pack some repellent just in case!

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 04:08 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Waynesville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Wanderer View Post
This will be the 4 year that we are staying at "Narrows Too" on the bay in Trenton Maine, as you enter Mount Desert Island (Acadia). 2 weeks - Full hookups - easy drive to park entrance - we use our Airstream as home base for our adventures. You will want to do the "loop" road around Acadia. If you bike - the carriage roads are awesome - no cars etc. to worry about - you can rent bikes if you don't have them in Bar Harbor. We hike many of the trails - get maps at the National Park visitors center - near town as well. Kayaking is everywhere - ocean, bays, river - you can do your own or join a tour in Bar Harbor - all levels of trips offered. See sunrise on top of Cadillac Mountain = awesome.
We can vouch for Narrows Too. I will add that the (as someone else mentioned) there is a free shuttle that frequents off-site rv parks AND they allow dogs. Three may be pushing it. We were there Aug 17 - 22, 2018. Not site-specific reservations but we got lucky with a site just across the street from waterfront sites. Good canoe/kayak launch ramp. Tides range at lease 6 feet high to low. Friendly/helpful staff, dog exercise area, decent bathhouse, and a variety of privacy levels. Worth a look.
2016 RAM 2500
FL Crackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:32 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Joining the thread as we are planning on going there this summer. No hookup sites preferred.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:17 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Maplewood , Ohio
Thanks for all the information everyone. This gives us lots to think about and investigate.
kjseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:51 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

State College , PENNSYLVANIA (PA)
We stayed in Bass Harbor (quiet side) last June. We liked it, campground was decent. It had full hookups. We drove thru Seawall and liked that as well but it doesn't have hookups. We drove to Bar Harbor twice and enjoyed the time we spent there. It can be tough to find a parking spot (at least one large enough to accommodate a large truck) in Bar Harbor so we parked on the outskirts and would walk a few blocks into town. Top of Cadillac Mountain can also be tough to find a parking spot but there is a secondary lot about 1/4 mile before you get to the top. We parked there, crossed the street, then hiked to the top. The kids really liked it.
GSP9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:42 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
I have stayed at the Mt. Desert Campground, which is very nice and convenient to the National Park, but limited to travel trailers or other RVs no longer than 20 feet. It has a 3 day minimum, and no dumping station. Dogs are not allowed during the Peak Season, but are allowed in the Off Season. See the Mount Desert Campground website for more information.
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 01:35 PM   #20

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Easton , Maryland
Acadia

My wife and I have been going to Acadia for over 30 years. Most of the highlights have been covered in other posts. The campgrounds mentioned a fine depending on your need for amenities. We prefer full hookups since we typically stay for two months at a time. We like Smugglers Den Campgound in Southwest Harbor. It’s got spacious sites, great staff and is relatively small compared to some of the other ones listed. Good luck and have fun. You can’t go wrong.
maestro66 is offline   Reply With Quote