Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2010, 10:04 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
AAA roadside assistance?

Just wanted everyone's thoughts on who they use for roadside assistance. Today I renewed my AAA for our cars, and it occurred to me to ask about RV roadside assistance. They do offer it, so I signed up for the year, an extra $80. What do you all use, if any?
monkeypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi monkey'

common question, asked often over the years...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...nce-60282.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...nce-36574.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...nce-28907.html

(yes that's 3 different threads with the same title)...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f351...plan-7814.html

also search using ANY of the common club names and threads will appear...

and SCROLL down to the bottom of this thread for at least 4 more or the 3a thing...

cheer
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
As I understand AAA does not cover RVs. Maybe a rider is available. I use Good Sam Club for roadside assistance which is RV friendly and reasonable.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I have AAA basic roadside assistance for my cars, but nothing for RVs; [my trailer] except for credit cards. AAA has different rules and policies for road side assistance in different states, so I would go with Good Sam. Good Sam towed my brother's SOB motorhome and saved him big bucks. What I mean about different policies in different states is that it is not where you buy it, but where you are when you need it. Towing distances may be different in Oregon compaired to California.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:26 AM   #5
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I have AAA basic roadside assistance for my cars, but nothing for RVs; [my trailer] except for credit cards. AAA has different rules and policies for road side assistance in different states, so I would go with Good Sam. Good Sam towed my brother's SOB motorhome and saved him big bucks. What I mean about different policies in different states is that it is not where you buy it, but where you are when you need it. Towing distances may be different in Oregon compaired to California.
I wasn't aware of the different state coverage issue. Good to check into and know before we leave on a trip. We too have AAA (w/RV coverage)also, but have not used it yet for our AS. We added it when we purchased our AS. We also have the motorcycle towing. The regular towing for the autos has always been great. We have been AAA members for 34 years.

Mary
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
https://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

https://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:55 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
How often, in those 34 years, have you needed AAA? I found that when I needed them, so did everyone else. Because so many were calling for assistance, it took them hours to respond to my needs - then when they did arrive, the driver had no idea where the battery was located in my car. I discontinued AAA nearly 40 years ago and have used Good Sam since we purchased our AS. I've never had a need to call them, but a neighboring SOB in an Ohio campground had a flat tire a couple years ago and called for Good Sam assistance. In less than thirty minutes they had help and we were located in the country 10-15 miles from the closest anything. I was impressed! I will continue with my Good Sam Roadside assistance as it protects my wife and myself in anything we are driving! I find it to be much better than AAA.
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:14 AM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We, also, use AAA Plus/RV.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
We had CAA (almost the same thing as AAA, just in Canada) Plus RV. Have never needed the RV portion thank goodness. My in-laws had used it several times while travelling in Florida due to a faulty tire rim that kept blowing (they had a 5th wheel SOB).

They were pleased with it.

I suspect that AAA has better coverage than CAA, even though I was under the impression that it was identical. I was travelling in upper state New York (in a car) when the fan belt broke on the interstate, kinda in the middle of nowhere. I pulled over and phoned CAA who directed me to the local AAA agent. She started telling me what kind of coverage I could expect, such as hotel for the night if necessary. Then she went "whoops - sorry - you're CAA - you don't get that coverage". So I found out that even with what I thought was the top level of coverage, I couldn't get little extras that AAA members received. I was then told that only "Premier" members could get that extra coverage.

Well, how do I sign up for Premier? I asked.

You can't. You have to wait and get invited to join Premier.

I had alot of time to think about all this, because the tow truck driver took 6 hours to arrive (beautiful sunny summer day - have to wonder why it took so long).

At any rate, I tend to think that it's good to have, but don't count on it for everything. I suppose that's true for many things in life, eh?
Old 01-26-2010, 07:01 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1953 17' Clipper
Mendon , Vermont
I have AAA Plus RV and have been extremely satisfied, though, I have yet to have either of my trailers towed. I pay for both of my kids to have their own cards, and it has paid for itself the last two years. The "plus" part has to be added in order to get the "RV" part. The "Plus" part pays for alot more miles per each towing, which makes a huge difference.

I was stuck with a dead tow vehicle in a campground in the boondocks of Maine last summer, my car was towed over an hour away, and they arrived, prepared to pick up my trailer as well. I stayed with the trailer, though, and my car was delivered back the next day.

I have been very pleased......
pinktrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:10 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I have CAA Plus RV - which I think is pretty much the same as AAA Plus RV.

One of the things I like about it is that the "Plus" also gets me coverage on our motorcyle.

A flat tire - especially rear - on a motorcycle can be a touch thing to deal with on the road if you are unable to plug it. In practical terms it would mean moving the bike with a tow truck or flatbed to the nearest motorcycle shop. I don't believe that your average gas station would deal with a motorcycle if the tire needed to be removed.

So far I have been lucky - no flats yet - probably just jinxed myself!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:09 AM   #11
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Satisfaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrim View Post
How often, in those 34 years, have you needed AAA? I found that when I needed them, so did everyone else. Because so many were calling for assistance, it took them hours to respond to my needs - then when they did arrive, the driver had no idea where the battery was located in my car. I discontinued AAA nearly 40 years ago and have used Good Sam since we purchased our AS. I've never had a need to call them, but a neighboring SOB in an Ohio campground had a flat tire a couple years ago and called for Good Sam assistance. In less than thirty minutes they had help and we were located in the country 10-15 miles from the closest anything. I was impressed! I will continue with my Good Sam Roadside assistance as it protects my wife and myself in anything we are driving! I find it to be much better than AAA.
We use them on average about 2x's per year, usually for things like a dead battery or flat. Have had to use it for tows also. They always arrive within about 30-45 min, and have always been helpful and pleasant. As I said before we have not yet had to use it for the AS. As a side note the service calls have always been in California. We even used it for a friends car that was in a remote area and had it towed to his home (also remote). We informed them of the tow need when calling for the tow service and since we had the "premier" level of service (200 miles) we could get it towed the distance without any trouble.

They have been great. Since we have 2 cards between us, we are entilted to 4 tows/calls per year each. No problems here, but maybe it's different in other areas. Luckily we haven't had to use it in other states yet.

Mary
Forums member #29232

Old 01-26-2010, 09:08 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
We just received a AAA mailing that we were considering. However, it states they tow 3 miles for free - then you get a "special rate".

Anyone know if the Plus version overcomes that limitation. Maybe Good Sams would be the better route....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:10 AM   #13
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
I thought the tows are usually a 7 mile distance on the standard service. You'd have to call and inquire about the specifics in your area.

Mary
Forums member #29232

Old 01-26-2010, 09:21 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryw164 View Post
I wasn't aware of the different state coverage issue. Good to check into and know before we leave on a trip. We too have AAA (w/RV coverage)also, but have not used it yet for our AS.

Mary
From experience, I can verify that. I was also a long time member of AAA. and then Plus RV, until I heard of some inconsistencies in their towing policies based on your location. I looked into it by contacting the local, regional and national AAA offices, and got three slightly different answers. The question was... "If my tow vehicle were to break down, would you tow both the TV and the trailer to a safe location"? The best I could determine was that the level of service did indeed depend on where you were at the time of the breakdown.

Since I tend to wander around when I travel, it would be too cumbersome to get information by specific location, and there's no way of telling where and when you'll need them. So, I went with Good Sam ERS, and haven't regretted it at all. They gave a clear answer to my question, their service has been quick and professional, and it's consistent across the country.

I had a good run with AAA too. Their service was good and, until GPS, those maps were useful. Don't forget your vehicle insurance company. Sometimes for a small fee, you can get road service through them.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:44 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1953 17' Clipper
Mendon , Vermont
I guess that I have lucked out being in new England when I have needed tows........I've had AAA for at least 20 years, have been towed at least 20 times and have never paid a penny, let alone ever seen a bill for towing.
pinktrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:49 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
We just received a AAA mailing that we were considering. However, it states they tow 3 miles for free - then you get a "special rate".

Anyone know if the Plus version overcomes that limitation. Maybe Good Sams would be the better route....
My AAA Arizona handbook says that the Plus RV coverage will provide two tow trucks and drivers and 100 free miles. Motorcycle coverage is an additional add-on.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
AAA +RV has been helpful.... if only to use the wrecker as a shield on the side of the freeway, while I'M changing the trailer tire
Old 01-26-2010, 09:10 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
I was told that w/ the plus, I get 100 miles of towing for free, 3 w/ the basic.
monkeypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:17 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
My AAA card says that I have been a member since 1952. I was born in 1948 but that is another story. I had the Moho towed a year and a half ago with a broken flex plate and a flat changed several months later. No problems. By the way the plus service is free after 50 years of membership.

I once had a car brake down on a bridge in San Pedro, CA. This was before cell phones. I was in a blind spot on a curve so I had walked back 100 yards to direct traffic around my car. When a cop showed up he pulled up behind my car. As he set out flares I walked back toward my car. He told me that he called a tow. I told him I had AAA and ask if he called AAA and he got evasive and would not give me a straight answer. I didn't feel like I was in a position to argue. The tow cost me $75.

A few days latter I went to the AAA office and posed the question if I had the right to demand a AAA truck in the situation. They spent 45 min. calling downtown and checking with legal staff. I never did get a firm answer but they did reimburse my $75.

I suppose standing on the side of the road arguing with a cop is not a good idea but the AAA did pick up the tab so I guess I can't complain.

The car on the bridge was my 1926 Model T Ford.

The bottom line with all tow service plans is that they are all contract vendors. If you get a good guy great. For me I have used them many times and they have been good to me.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:31 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Good Sam ERS for me

I've had Good Sam for nine years now. For around $100 they cover all of my vehicles and my trailer. There is no limit on the distance they will tow.

One year four of my tires expired, at different times, and Good Sam mentioned it on the last one. I explained that with 2 cars and the AS I had 14 tires on the ground. Last year my TV died while in tow. Good Sam sent two tow trucks, made reservations for me at an RV park, and notified the local police that I was disabled.

When I travel, I'm always concerned about these unexpected things that happen. Good Sam gives me some comfort in knowing that there will be a few things I won't have to worry about when they occur.

________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote