Old 01-26-2010, 04:44 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
1967 26' Overlander
1953 17' Clipper
Mendon , Vermont
I guess that I have lucked out being in new England when I have needed tows........I've had AAA for at least 20 years, have been towed at least 20 times and have never paid a penny, let alone ever seen a bill for towing.

pinktrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:49 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
We just received a AAA mailing that we were considering. However, it states they tow 3 miles for free - then you get a "special rate".

Anyone know if the Plus version overcomes that limitation. Maybe Good Sams would be the better route....
My AAA Arizona handbook says that the Plus RV coverage will provide two tow trucks and drivers and 100 free miles. Motorcycle coverage is an additional add-on.

snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
AAA +RV has been helpful.... if only to use the wrecker as a shield on the side of the freeway, while I'M changing the trailer tire
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:10 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
I was told that w/ the plus, I get 100 miles of towing for free, 3 w/ the basic.
monkeypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:17 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
My AAA card says that I have been a member since 1952. I was born in 1948 but that is another story. I had the Moho towed a year and a half ago with a broken flex plate and a flat changed several months later. No problems. By the way the plus service is free after 50 years of membership.

I once had a car brake down on a bridge in San Pedro, CA. This was before cell phones. I was in a blind spot on a curve so I had walked back 100 yards to direct traffic around my car. When a cop showed up he pulled up behind my car. As he set out flares I walked back toward my car. He told me that he called a tow. I told him I had AAA and ask if he called AAA and he got evasive and would not give me a straight answer. I didn't feel like I was in a position to argue. The tow cost me $75.

A few days latter I went to the AAA office and posed the question if I had the right to demand a AAA truck in the situation. They spent 45 min. calling downtown and checking with legal staff. I never did get a firm answer but they did reimburse my $75.

I suppose standing on the side of the road arguing with a cop is not a good idea but the AAA did pick up the tab so I guess I can't complain.

The car on the bridge was my 1926 Model T Ford.

The bottom line with all tow service plans is that they are all contract vendors. If you get a good guy great. For me I have used them many times and they have been good to me.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:31 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member
2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Good Sam ERS for me

I've had Good Sam for nine years now. For around $100 they cover all of my vehicles and my trailer. There is no limit on the distance they will tow.

One year four of my tires expired, at different times, and Good Sam mentioned it on the last one. I explained that with 2 cars and the AS I had 14 tires on the ground. Last year my TV died while in tow. Good Sam sent two tow trucks, made reservations for me at an RV park, and notified the local police that I was disabled.

When I travel, I'm always concerned about these unexpected things that happen. Good Sam gives me some comfort in knowing that there will be a few things I won't have to worry about when they occur.

'04 34' Classic S/O lounge, dome king, twin a/c, faux fireplace to keep the wife warm , equa-li-zer, prodigy, 4 birds, dog - no kids allowed!

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:13 AM   #21
1 Rivet Short
1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Originally Posted by SilverRanger View Post
From experience, I can verify that. I was also a long time member of AAA. and then Plus RV, until I heard of some inconsistencies in their towing policies based on your location. I looked into it by contacting the local, regional and national AAA offices, and got three slightly different answers. The question was... "If my tow vehicle were to break down, would you tow both the TV and the trailer to a safe location"? The best I could determine was that the level of service did indeed depend on where you were at the time of the breakdown.

Since I tend to wander around when I travel, it would be too cumbersome to get information by specific location, and there's no way of telling where and when you'll need them. So, I went with Good Sam ERS, and haven't regretted it at all. They gave a clear answer to my question, their service has been quick and professional, and it's consistent across the country.

I had a good run with AAA too. Their service was good and, until GPS, those maps were useful. Don't forget your vehicle insurance company. Sometimes for a small fee, you can get road service through them.
That is how I understand AAA also. They are "regional" clubs. Some offer RV coverage...some do not. Here in New England, they do not. We were AAA members for many years, when I called them some time ago to add RV they explained that if you break down in a region that does not offer RV coverage (even though your "home region" sells it to you) you would be out of luck. This does not mean an extra means, at the discretion of the tow company, they may not even touch your RV for any fee! Leave our AS by the side of the road-no way!
Many references to this situation are noted on this forum and others...

This prompted us to switch to GS...which covers all vehicles, every where. My Wife has needed service twice due to minor accidents, GS has been responsive so far. When you call GS, the operator will ask several questions; are you towing? What type of RV? How long? Etc...this provided a certain level of comfort that they are indeed familiar with RV's. I never recall AAA asking any questions like this. Fortunately, we have never needed a tow while out with any of RV's...but have used towing service for passengers cars.

We never know where we will wander off to, so coverage across North America is important.

*Life is Good-Camping all around the Continent*
*Good people drink good beer-Hunter S Thompson*
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:49 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
Jonesboro , Georgia

Our tow vehicle would not start back up after pumping gas at a gas station.We were blocking one entrance into the station and preventing other customers from using the pump we were at. AAA arrived in less than 20 minutes. We, however, did not know that we needed separate coverage to tow the RV. Luckly, we were only 20 minutes from home and my nephew came and rescued the trailer. AAA took me, the truck and my 80 lb. chocolate lab home. My husband stayed with the RV and waited for help. We now have the AAA plus with RV towing coverage for up to 100 miles. I think it was only $50.00 extra dollars.
Kristi Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:25 PM   #23
1998 31' Land Yacht
Laurel Springs , New Jersey
We have an AS motorhome and use Good Sam. We were told that AAA will not cover the motorhome. Good Sam also covers our two cars. We have found them to be GREAT! Have used their service on the motorhome and the cars. We highly recommend the Good Sam service.
WhoWhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:31 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member
2000 35' Land Yacht XL w/slide
Vermilion , Ohio
I had both AAA plus RV and Good Sam's
RV broke down Called both
Good Sam's said one hour
AAA said Three hours
Good Sam's was there in 45 min
towed us to camp ground then next am towed us to service garage
Go with the Good Sam's