Old 07-07-2003, 09:54 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

A Scarry Parade !!

It was shocked and amazed at all of the poorly connected and balanced tow vehicle to "floats" that I saw in our recent July 4th
parade.

I think I saw just about every violation of common towing sense
No safety chains,
Front wheels riding high,
Jury rigged "hitches"
No brake lights,
Some of these were on police "floats"

I guess common sense goes out the window for a "parade"!!

Gave me many giggles and some concern!

Anyone else see this kind of sillyness over the holiday weekend??

DMC

Old 09-27-2003, 06:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
A Scarry Parade !!

Quote:
It was shocked and amazed at all of the poorly connected and balanced tow vehicle to "floats" that I saw in our recent July 4th parade.

What I've noticed is how the F/D or P/D with their vehicles will run their sirens. They seem to not think about how loud it is for people along the route. I believe you could suffer ear damage standing so close. I almost hate to go and see a parade because of that.

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 09:05 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Not that I condone dumb towing, but most of the floats in our area go no more than 5 mph on flat ground. Although not entirely safe, I'd be more concerned if they were taking them on main roads with traffic....

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 08:17 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Forget about parades ....just look on the freeway on any holiday weekend ....errrr ...any day for that matter.Most people just dont know how to set up a trailer properly,its amazing that they even get to where they are headed.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:53 AM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Agreed. There are a bunch of folks that practice some strange saftey habbits out there......

I may be one of them. I will be towing a 6300lb gross trailer with a 5300lb gross car that is rated to pull only 5000lbs before it was modified......I'll be the first to admit I feel I am taking a risk, but it's a calculated one. For example, I've upgraded the brakes, trans cooling, engine cooling, final drive gears (3.73 up from 2.93), springs, shocks, lower control arms, etc. My tires are each rated to hold 1819lbs, which at a typical loaded car (less than the 5300lbs) with a 750-900lb hitch weight using weight distribution bars still give me both an axle weight and tire weight that has a fair size buffer.

So to me, you can see I am going to do it. Why you ask, well for starters the car's drivetrain is similar to that which is found on the 1998 or earlier Silverado. The trans and gears are the virtually identical to the current Silverados (no tow/haul switch, but I have modified the PCM to match it). The only thing that is lacking is a 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton frame. True the car has a full parimeter frame, but the center section is far less robust than the Silverado.....

Am I nuts, maybe, but I'd like to hear what you all think.....

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 09:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
scarrry...

good luck chuck.....

norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 10:01 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Eric ,I was refering to the way people hook up thier trailers ,loading, ect.Its sounds like you have done your homework and more than likely will have no problems....when I look at my 70's owner manuals for my A/S's all I see are large and intermedite sized cars towing them ,NO Trucks to found in thise manuals
Old 09-28-2003, 11:02 AM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We live on the main road next to a state park, and all the time I glance out the window to see poorly setup trailers, horse trailers, and boats go by. Often they are riding just on a ball, no chains, front wheels high, back end almost on the ground, and bouncing up and down. And we're about 300ft away from the road, if we can see it bouncing from here, it must be quite a ride for the occupants!

These aren't poor country yokels either, these are people towing with fancy new suburbans, fancy horse trailers, they obviously spent some money on their rigs, how come they don't get them set up right?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote