Old 06-07-2004, 04:58 PM   #15
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by upallnight
AV8

Here in AZ we don't usually bother with little things like water heaters, just set a can of water out and pretty soon you have hot water, just kidding, I shouldn't joke with you about such a serious matter, glad you and yours are all right, hope you can post pictures of your new A/S.
funny, I have my trailer set up in a new spot, 100ft+ from the house, with a long hose and extension cord running to it. the other day it was sunny, and I was testing the water system out for leaks and so forth. as I was running water into the toilet bowl, I started to see steam rising from the bowl, and was quite startled. ("what the ***???!!! ), then I realized what was going on. I actually thought for a second that someone (me) had crossed the hot and cold water lines. then I remembered that I hadn't touched the water lines...

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 05:01 PM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I had a friend who's apartment burnt while he was at work. He was a bachelor with no pets, so all he lost was stuff, but still he said it was the most devastating thing he'd ever gone through. Glad you didn't lose too much stuff.

I've been updating the appliances in my trailer as I suspect they are having a problem. We put an entire new burner assembly on the water heater this year. Last year it was a new thermocouple and safety valve on the fridge. Both units got ignitors. It makes them easier to live with, and I feel safer now about leaving them on, with us in the unit or not.

I've also added CO, smoke, and LP detectors. AV8's experience might be a good reminder for other vintage owners to do the same if they haven't yet.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 05:20 PM   #17
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Any idea what exactly went wrong with the water heater to cause the fire? Suddenly I'm glad I spent the money to have mine inspected and updated.
I had to replace the pilot assembly on mine. It worked fine, but after about an hour I checked it, and found that a tiny flame at the joint between the feed tube, and the outlet for the pilot. It is something that happened from years of vibration, and years of years. Left untended, it would have caused a major fire, with my dog inside! If I wasn't paranoid, and usually check this stuff repeatedly, my trailer could have joined the ranks of "car-b-ques", as AV8's did.
Terry
Old 06-07-2004, 05:32 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

The Bowen Water Heater is enclosed in a galvanized box and the "fire tube" that the burner goes into is at least a quarter inch thick and curves around and exhausts at the access door. If the burner did not shut down the water would boil and the pressure relief valve would open or if defective the tank would split I guess eventually. Even if there were no water in the tank and the burner just kept burning I cannot see a fire escaping into trailer within 2 hours but I am not sure what the result would be.
Seems a Rat Nest obstructing the fire tube would ignite and be contained in the tube until it burned thru the nest which would establish circulation of heat out thru exhaust vent.
The galvanized box does sit upon the plywood floor, and recesses into the bath cabinet on a rear bath model, so depending on what was in that cabinet I guess ignition from high heat is possible.
I can imagine is a rupture of a LP supply line which enters from underneath I believe.

Be nice to know the details of Insurance settlement, and what became of the shell etc.
My condolences to AV8.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:55 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Sorry about your loss, but thanks for the warning!

I have finally found the one trailer that we ( new wife and I ) are planning to make ours. It is a tiny Caravel in almost pristine condition, cushions were gone. The PO did share that he had removed all propane gas lines from underneath the silver gem. Having done extensive work on previous trailers I thought about doing this "minor" work myself. However, since I do plan to use my aluminum retreat in cold places, I guess I will buck up and do pay for my lines to be put professionally.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:24 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
AV8,
I am so sorry to learned of the loss of your trailer~
I can remember back when you were talking first about picking up the new trailer~
I echo the other's sentiments about how lucky you and your family ,were that no one was inside and it happened where it did.
If you get a chance before you leave, stop by or give me a landline..okay?
I'm happy to learn of your newer unit.~!
This serves as a wakeup call for me~I thank you for that`
ciao
53FC...
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 06:27 PM   #21
AV8
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaco
.... Even if there were no water in the tank and the burner just kept burning I cannot see a fire escaping into trailer within 2 hours but I am not sure what the result would be. ....
It is not completely clear what exactly occurred other than it was the water heater. The ironic thing is, it almost looks like the water heater is one of the few thinks that “survived”. The reason is, it is all stainless and was not damaged in the fire. But clearly the fire started there, and the part of the water heater that is “inside” was completely exposed so the cabinet and all that was once around it, was all gone. I don’t think the flooring was all gone below it, even thought the floor over the tanks in the back was gone. My uneducated opinion was the water heater kept going, loosing the water, and then simply got so hot to start the cabinet going. There was nothing really in the cabinet, but it looked to be so completely gone that I assumed the fire started there. I did not check for loose propane lines after the fact but for the most part the under pan was still in place so I don’t think it was “external”…

The insurance settlement went fine. It was underinsured as the company only wanted to insure it at blue book. For a trailer of this age that was 3500. This one, as Sneeknup will attest, was in such nice shape, it was worth (and cost) more. The contents were covered by my homeowners. The loss was in love and attention over the winter, not so much the monetary loss…
Old 06-07-2004, 07:06 PM   #22

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Do you mind naming the insurance company? I only ask because I deal with State Farm to insure all my vehicles, and they have repeatedly assured me that for the trailers, if a loss occurs, then at that time we will figure out what it is worth based on current value. I was just in there last week putting insurance on the new Bambi, and they again confirmed that this is how it will be. So I sure hope if anything ever happens they stand by it as they have said they will.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 07:28 PM   #23
AV8
2 Rivet Member

The company is Amica. They were very upfront about the insured value when I got the insurance. I was considering not insuring it, but the price of the insurance seemed ok, and it was prudent because of the long trip we were going to take. Glad I did, even if they did not cover the true value…
Old 06-08-2004, 08:09 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Amica

Our 66 Trade Wind is insured by AMICA. We paid $7900 for it and that's what it is valued for on our policy. I did call them and ask several questions on the order of, "If a tree falls on it in our yard and crushes it, do we get $7900?" and "If a tree falls on it in a campground...?" and the answer was "yes."

So I am wondering, AV8, what was the value claimed on your policy?

Also I want to add condolences about the fire. That is terrifying and is making me rethink my old pilot system on the fridge and water heater.

Connie
Old 06-08-2004, 09:31 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
AV8

Sorry about your loss, especially to someone who lives in the same state and town I do. Vern, 53flyingcloud, has talked about you and your trailer. Sometime, the three of us should get together over coffee.

Mark
Old 06-08-2004, 09:40 AM   #26
AV8
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin
..... So I am wondering, AV8, what was the value claimed on your policy?

Amica paid the full value that they had on the policy. When I originally insured it they did not come and inspect it, they simply said ~3500 was all I could get on it. I explained that it was low, and you could not find a decent vintage Airstream for that, but they said that was it. Perhaps I could have pursued it further, but I figured better to have some, than none. That was true.

I don’t want to cast any aspersions on Amica as they handled the claim very quickly. It was my mistake for not arguing further about the value of the trailer. But on the other hand, if there had been a $1000 deducible I would have probably opted for that, so this was not that far out of line. The big problem with underinsuring a vehicle (I know from aircraft) is when the damage is not total. Then the insurance company will total it out from under you, and you lose the property prematurely. There was no argument that this baby was totaled….
Old 06-08-2004, 09:42 AM   #27
AV8
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjoandall
AV8
.... Sometime, the three of us should get together over coffee....

Now it can be coffee, a few weeks ago it would have needed to be bourbon…

I’ll pm you and set it up…
Old 06-08-2004, 09:54 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Horrible that you lost that coach.

I just went through Ebay. The guy your insurance sold it to has listed it again.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6783

59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote