Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2014, 10:56 AM   #81
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Pat, thanks so much for posting this. So glad that you and your spouse emerged (relatively) unscathed. No doubt, you were very fortunate! We just got back Monday from an 8,200 mile trip with our Airstream, and though I'm about as defensive a driver as possible there were two instances where if I hadn't been focused there would have been a situation. We saw one RV accident. I-40, just W of Memphis...around 30' SOB on its side in the median, TV also flipped on its side. I have to say that while your trailer clearly got it -- it looks pretty good compared with what was left of the SOB-- which basically looked like an explosion had gone off...walls, roof, etc...all separated. Please let us know how this all ends up for you. Barry
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:41 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
find and show him recent purchases of the very same rig w same equipment. They want a true comparison. A dealer can help there, especially if they cam show one that sold and inc the sales price.. Also give a copy of your sales slip. It also shows true value. Forget NADA...useless.
K
Old 08-28-2014, 05:41 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
find and show him recent purchases of the very same rig w same equipment. They want a true comparison. A dealer can help there, especially if they cam show one that sold and inc the sales price.. Also give a copy of your sales slip. It also shows true value. Forget NADA...useless.
K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Cassity View Post
Update. The damage to the Airstream was appraised today by a LM adjuster. During our conversation yesterday, he told me that it would take a few days and then he would contact me to discuss the N.A.D.A. value if in fact it was determined to be a total loss. I reminded him that N.A.D.A was notoriously low, in regards to RV values. Can anyone suggest where I might 'steer' him to find a more accurate value?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-28-2014, 06:41 PM   #84
4 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Just now seeing this thread....so glad you guys are okay. Sorry to hear about your 'stream. I truly hope the insurance comes through for ya.

Follow our blog! https://theoverlanderproject.blogspot.com/
lonewolf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:34 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
They have access to the internet and can do a market study on Airstreams for sale currently.You also need to do this in order to know what is fair for you.Search RV classifieds,and dealer inventories on the web.Start by running a google search such as ... 2008 Airstream 25ft International for sale.This will get you started.Also find 'Search all of Craigslist' this is a great site for finding ads.RV trader is another good one.Call a few large Airstream dealers like Colonial Airstream and ask for there opinions of replacement cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:13 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I have had country company Ins. for many years. When I rolled my 30 ft. AS in Ten. in 1968 the next day the adjuster met with me, and consulted local AS dealer as to good fair value of trailer was, that I was very happy with . He cut a check on the spot for me for the full pur. price that I had pd. 1 yr. before. [It was a total loss] I will never have a different ins. co. as they have done this for every claim. The only prob. that others may have as they are a Ill. co. but there are other farm bureau ins co. in other states.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:47 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Our Good Sam policy was issued by Allied and lacks that particular weasel clause mentioned in post #79. I spent quite a wile looking,for it though last night. Thanks for sharing your experience about coverage that wasn't what you thought you had purchased.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:54 PM   #88
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Montgomery , Texas
Good news this week in regards to my insurance claim. Liberty Mutual honored my new vehicle replacement endorsement and paid me enough to totally replace my Airstream with the latest model. However, my Yukon is another story. It is still being appraised. There are now over $30,000 in repairs and they have found a bend in the frame. I should hear Monday if they are going to consider it a total loss, as well. So far, I could not be happier with Liberty Mutual's response!

Old 09-06-2014, 03:10 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
That is good news, Pat! Good luck with the tow vehicle too!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:17 PM   #90
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Outstanding news.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:49 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good news.

Maggie
Old 09-12-2014, 09:10 PM   #92
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Congrats !!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:47 PM   #93
4 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Texas
Thought I would post another update. I received more good news yesterday. LM finally made the decision to 'total' my Yukon. Since it was only 4 months old, it also qualifies for their full vehicle replacement. We have decided that if we replace the Airstream, we will go with either a 2014 or 2015 25' Flying Cloud. So, now I need to make a decision on a new TV. First, it needs to be a SUV, as I use the vehicle for business purposes. I originally went with the Yukon Denali because I wasn't happy with how my previous Suburban pulled the 27'. Although, I was really happy with the Denali, I don't know that I will need that much power (or expense) to tow the 25 footer. Would like to hear from some of you that might be towing a 25 with an SUV.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:25 PM   #94
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1989 34' Limited
long beach , Mississippi
I would prefer a Ford Expedition EL over a Yukon if I had the choice...
They been around now long enough and I see them usually advertised used with very high miles, which means they hold up pretty good.
Good luck.

Resurrecting one Airstream at the time..
maybe one day i save them all
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:01 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Thoughts on Yukon tow vehicle with 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Cassity View Post
Thought I would post another update. I received more good news yesterday. LM finally made the decision to 'total' my Yukon. Since it was only 4 months old, it also qualifies for their full vehicle replacement. We have decided that if we replace the Airstream, we will go with either a 2014 or 2015 25' Flying Cloud. So, now I need to make a decision on a new TV. First, it needs to be a SUV, as I use the vehicle for business purposes. I originally went with the Yukon Denali because I wasn't happy with how my previous Suburban pulled the 27'. Although, I was really happy with the Denali, I don't know that I will need that much power (or expense) to tow the 25 footer. Would like to hear from some of you that might be towing a 25 with an SUV.

Given the damage, I'm glad the insurance company has totaled the Yukon. Good luck with choosing a new vehicle.

We bought a used 2010 Yukon Denali to tow our 2013 25 foot Flying Cloud. We have had the trailer 18 months, and have put 10,000 miles on it.

The trailer is 6780 pounds loaded, with three awnings and aftermarket solar & inverter in it. The tongue weight is around or over 1000 pounds (we have not weighed the tongue since the solar & inverter we installed, just the total weight).

The Yukon has done the job, but has not been great, and we are thinking of replacing it.

The good:
1) It fits in our garage. A Suburban would be too long.
2) Comfortable, adjustable, front memory seats. My wife has back/neck troubles that make most cars intolerable for her. These seats she can use with just a minor accommodation.
3) Good power. Not enough to do the speed limit up every mountain in Colorado (where I live), but enough power to satisfy me.
4) Sufficient cooling capacity for 100 degree temps, when towing on the flat.
5) Smooth ride solo at highway speeds.

Not so good:
1) Cooling seem marginal for the big climbs of Colorado. The engine temp rises from its normal 210 to 235. The manual doesn't say what the temp is where bad things start happening. For tranny fluid, the manual says normal is 160 to 200. We often see 210 or so on mild grades. The first time we did Vail pass eastbound, it hit 248. The second time, 244. I am told the car will flash a warning somewhere around 266 degrees, but I worry that the temps I am experiencing are doing damage.
2) Harsh ride at slow speeds---parking lots with speed bumps, forest roads. We really get bounced around.
3) Seems to need a lot of weight distribution to feel stable on the highway. We use EAZ Lift hitch with 1400 pound bars, set up by Can-Am in London, Ontario. We can feel the difference between adjusting the weight distribution to get the front fender height back to it's original position (or to 100% the same weight as measured on a truck scale), and adjusting tighter to get a couple hundred more pounds on the front axle. GM recommends getting the front fenders to the original height, but we find the rig feels squirrelly that way.
4) Really bad porpoising on segmented concrete highways. With the 1400 pound bars we need (to get the amount of weight distribution we want), we really get bad jerking on certain highways, when towing.
5) The weights are getting close to GM's stated limits. We are within 200 pounds of the Yukon GVWR. Our tongue weight is at or over the receiver rating of 1000 pounds.
Now, I'm talking about a 2010, and you're probably considering a 2015. Some of my complaints may have been fixed since 2010.

One other thing: My factory receiver flexes a fair amount with a heavy trailer and weight distribution. They guys at Can-Am welded two pieces of angle iron to the back of the receiver to reduce the flex, but it does still flex some when we hook up the bars. I don't know if this has been improved in newer models.

If we do trade the Yukon for something bigger/heftier, I'm going to miss the maneuverability of the Yukon.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:12 PM   #96
2 Rivet Member

1985 27' Sovereign
Jonestown , Texas
We have 85 27' sovereign and tow with a 2010 VW Toureg TDI. It pulls beautifully but is also a fun, comfortable daily driver. It also pulls my 5500 lb boat. Good luck with everything.
God bless you and your wife. Happy travels
Texas Gal 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:45 PM   #97
4 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Texas
I think this will be my last update. Hard to believe it's now been almost 8 weeks since the accident. It plays over and over in my head at least 5 times a day. Unfortunately, I am still fighting with the insurance company. What a nightmare! I'm hope that none of you ever have to go through it. I can't imagine those unfortunate folks that have to go through it while being injured. Talk about the insurance company having an edge! I have literally been on the phone with with the insurance company, talking to 7 difference adjusters almost every single day for the entire 8 weeks. However, it looks like all may be settled this week. We still haven't made the decision to buy another Airstream, though. This entire ordeal is something that I never want to experience again. The accident was bad enough. The insurance company tries to 'wear you down' every chance they get. Switching you from one adjuster to another, not returning phone calls, not returning emails to delaying communication with the GMC dealer that had my Yukon. It took over a month just to get the Yukon appraised and declared a total loss! Then ( and still ongoing ) is the issue with the New Vehicle Replacement Policy. It took me weeks to finally convince the adjusters that both vehicles qualified for that coverage. Now, after talking with numerous adjusters for the insurance company, they have changed their mind again regarding the airstream and are telling me it in fact, does not qualify. So, tomorrow begins another fight. My reason for writing all this is not to burden all of you fine folks with my problems. I am hoping that someone will take some of the information that I have provided during the last few weeks to make you are as prepared as you possible can be before heading out on the road. If nothing else, I would suggest that everyone contact their insurance companies to find out just what your coverage is and how to proceed if you need to make a claim. I really felt I had the best insurance money could buy. What I found out is that I may have the very best insurance company there is in trying to avoid paying what they originally promised.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:14 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yikes, what a nightmare.

You have my sympathies and I wish you patience and perseverance.

Maggie
Old 10-05-2014, 08:24 PM   #99
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
Pat keep records of your contacts and what is discussed with your insurance company. Think about an attorney if you feel that your contract with them is not being fulfilled.
BassCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:00 PM   #100
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Perhaps a speaker phone on your desk with a tape recorder would be handy. You know they are recording you on every call by now.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote