Old 10-27-2014, 10:00 AM   #113
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Cassity View Post
That's it! That is so great, Great to know that the texting idiot that hit us not only didn't kill us, he also didn't kill our Airstream! I wish you well with it and would love to see photos of its restoration! We have decided that we loved the lifestyle way too much not to do it again. We ordered our new one last week and it will be available in late December. Thanks for letting us know. Take care and good luck with the rebuild!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
YEAH! Good for you!

Old 10-27-2014, 10:12 AM   #114
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Cassity View Post
That's it! That is so great, Great to know that the texting idiot that hit us not only didn't kill us, he also didn't kill our Airstream! I wish you well with it and would love to see photos of its restoration! We have decided that we loved the lifestyle way too much not to do it again. We ordered our new one last week and it will be available in late December. Thanks for letting us know. Take care and good luck with the rebuild!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Good for you both!

Maggie

Old 10-27-2014, 02:44 PM   #115
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Yay!!
Pat, glad you worked out the problems!!! That is super news!

And, you helped another Airstreamer get started!!!! Tough way... but... you did it...!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:08 PM   #116
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Pat,
Just finished reading this biting my nails, glad everybody was safe, could have been horrible, saw a SOB get blown over on I94 in west ND and it took the TV with it at speed. Very ugly. Making me second guess buying a new AS now.

dnavcrew,
Not sure if it's out of line to ask(you can always say no) but how much did it cost to buy the salvage trailer?
Old 10-27-2014, 08:03 PM   #117
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
amarillo , Texas
Dnavcrew history

Thank you so much I was worried most members would look down on a guy like me. A little history about this purchase. First I'm a retired us navy aircraft structural mechanic. I also have had many years working on BIG aircraft repairing them form the inside, they are truly very similar to an AS.
Ok back story. I have ALWAYS been a fan of airstream. My father, a machines by trade and in a line of blacksmiths, always would point them out to me and how well they were made. He was able to purchase one finally in 2004, a 75 land yacht 30 footer. Unfortunately it had sat since new in the Mohave desert and time, rats and Mother Nature took its toll. He now is suffering major health issues and I couldn't afford to restore it so we gave it away last year for 5 grand.
Lastly I have been a major gear head since birth and have experience in restoration of old cars, gas pumps, motor cycles etc. Since the military never pays well I used my abilities to buy and sell lots of cars. My speciality is 69/70 mustangs of which I own several. To add to my addition in 2003 I started buying wrecked VW diesels from the local salvage pools, at my last duty station,
and made it into a thriving business until the market crash of 2008. Since then I have struggled to stay perminately employed and recently had to move to amarillo with my spouse who had a more stable job.
NOW for the surprise and major irony!
Two months after I sold my home of ten years, moved a 4000sqft restoration business my wife surprises me with my dream car, a 2008 Roush 427R.
On the second day after I bought it a old lady turns into me as I drove through a intersection at 55 mph and destroys my hip, car and neck. Funny how the guy that saves things people think as trash gets it in the end.
Now out of work for two more years I have repaired my body as best as I can, got ripped off by some "great lawyers" but got a good degree while I was recouperating. This AS will be my first and the next step in my life long education of rebuilding great and beautiful things
Thanks for the space and I'm looking forward to having some fun.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:08 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
um, DNA, I am acquainted with an AS dealer who's personal 30' Classic is a salvage title rollover that he rebuilt......so if we look down on you....we look down on the AS dealer?!?!?!?!?!?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:33 PM   #119
Firedog1

2015 30' Classic
Woodbridge Connecticut & , Venice Florida
Welcome back Pat, followed your story from day one. So happy it all worked out.
DNA, wish you best with the restoration. Post pictures.

Sold but not forgotten: 2005 Classic 25 Limited
Firedog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:58 PM   #120
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Checking in late to the end of this thread, but check out our photos in post #203 on this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...124100-15.html .

Our accident happened on August 25--a driver in front of us dozed off, flipped her car in the ditch, and hit a utility pole which snapped and then smacked into the Bambi. Thankfully nobody was hurt, but it has taken two months to finally get our insurance adjuster to agree that Bambi was a write-off and we could go ahead and replace it on their dime.

Hopefully we'll find its replacement early next month.

Not all RV insurance appraisers and adjusters have experience with Airstreams. Finally we got our adjuster to agree that we could get an estimate from a licensed Airstream mechanic, not just from their guy who is familiar with ordinary SOBs. Our mechanic's (Doug, at Airstream of Spokane) estimate was significantly higher than what the adjuster's appraiser-for-hire came up with.

Persistence will hopefully pay off in our case; but sadly, that is what it seems to take. Never mind that we were that close to being killed in the accident.

Our best wishes to anyone else undergoing a similar ordeal.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:01 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Wow, dnavcrew....life has given you some hard tests, but you have survived and are here, ready to rebuild a wrecked Airstream....likely into something amazing, I'll bet.

Good luck to you, and keep us posted. Maybe start your own restoration thread.

Maggie
Old 10-27-2014, 09:16 PM   #122
1 Rivet Member

amarillo , Texas
Thank you all . I had a nice phone chat with pat tonight. I'm looking forward to this build just need to find some replacement frame pieces and I'll be ready to go.
Also I meant that I didn't want to be looked down upon as if I was a bottom feeder making out on someone accident.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:38 PM   #123
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
No one here will look down at you, you are saving an Airstream! Sounds like you have the skills, not everyone does, or wants to for that matter! Start your own rebuild thread and we'll look forward to following you on your journey!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:03 PM   #124
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Great story DNA - glad to see Pat's Airstream is getting a (proper) second life.
Stuff happens in all of our lives, but it is only the strong who pull themselves up by the boot straps and come out the other side stronger than they went in.

As for anyone looking down at you... That's just crazy and it is not anything you will need to be concerned with around here. Or at least I sure hope not.

Keep us posted on the rebuild as I for one would be very interred in your progress.

Cheers
Doug
Old 10-28-2014, 04:24 AM   #125
1 Rivet Member

amarillo , Texas
here is what it looked like in the salvage pool

Old 10-28-2014, 04:31 AM   #126
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Salvage

There are a few salvage/conversions that get scorn. On your what to avoid list, consider:

https://picasaweb.google.com/Lulusug...92171841674562

or: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ler-44222.html

Or one I know I posted on but can't find... A really tarted up airstream that looked like a bordello.

I'm glad to see wrecks rebuilt or parted out so they have a second life.

My wrecked 25' was rescued by a member of the forum. If I'd have known that was going to happen, I would have poured all the chemicals I had left down the toilet before abandoning it! Seriously, I think he used mine for parts to restore another one, but I am glad to know it got more use than just being crushed and turned into beer cans. (I'd upgraded to 16 inch wheels with almost new michelins on them, and the buyer found out that there was a recall on the tires... so he ended up with brand new rims and brand new tires. One tiny thing I lost in the wreck was the remote for my Dyson hot/cold, which he found and mailed to me months later. I'm glad to know it HAS been salvaged and "donored" out.

I admire anyone with the skills and persistence to do a restore/salvage/repair of that magnitude. With your background you'll probably have us all drooling over your skills. Start a thread and post! We love pictures.

Welcome aboard, Paula