Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2014, 04:30 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
An attorney might be a really, really good idea.

They know there is only so much you can do by yourself, also that your knowledge base is limited.

Attorneys have their place in this world, and can get you to a level playing field that you may otherwise not be able to access.

Good luck to you,

Maggie
Old 10-07-2014, 05:52 AM   #102
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
In this case it should be a no brainer. You're clearly not at fault, therefore, total the two, replace them per the policy, then get the money from the insurance of the guy who caused the accident. Easy. Insurance companies do this all the time (subrogation is the term, if I remember correctly). In fact it likely happens so often that they probably just settle the difference in claims at the end of each month, rather than writing checks claim-by-claim.

It doesn't amaze me at all that they're giving you the runaround, though.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:09 AM   #103
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
Three years ago, we were heading down a long hill on Hwy 70 in central Missouri when a terrible wind storm started blowing us all over the highway at the same time a tractor trailer was going way too fast by us and clipped the back end of our AS causing the same type of jackknifing and we we ended up on our side in the medium. Our Ford Excursion and AS were both totaled. We had the same mess on the inside - still makes me sick. We were treated very fairly by State Farm. We debated whether or not to even get another trailer but decided we just love the lifestyle. We got ended up getting a three-year old newer trailer and now have a Pro-Pride anti-sway hitch. I love my new trailer, bu still get jumpy towing the AS. I'm glad you guys are ok. The State Trooper who helped us with our accident told us the AS saved our lives too - he said if it had happened to any other trailer it would have been smashed to smitherines. They were able to turn our wrecked AS back on it's wheels and tow it to the local AS dealer. Good luck with your claim.
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:59 PM   #104
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
As a former claim adjuster for three major insurance companies, I would recommend that you deal directly with the ins co of the party that hit you and caused the accident. You have the greatest leverage with them, rather than with your own ins co, LM. LM will not care if you get an attorney because "pain and suffering" are not paid by them, but by the other driver's ins co, and it is pain and suffering costs that frighten ins cos to the bargaining table and to fairer payouts to "make you whole" again.

You have suffered injuries, thank the Lord not life-threatening, so use these injuries as a bargaining chip and threaten to get a lawyer if you are not satisfied. Ins cos know well that involving an attorney raises their costs exponentially and will go to greater lengths to avoid that situation.

I appreciate Steve's position as a current ins professional, and in my experience as an adjuster found many ethical and honest individuals in the industry, but times are hard and the attitude of many ins cos is to avoid payment if possible. So give them a reason to pay for what they honestly owe you: your injuries.

Two years ago, our 34' Ltd was rear-ended at a stop sign in the middle of nowhere exiting an Interstate--had to be texting by the young people driving behind us. If I had not had claims experience, I would not have known how to achieve a reasonable settlement, but we had the repairs made good at an A/S dealer we trusted, our $500 (?) payment for the International Rally we had to miss made good, and $300 paid toward the cost of fuel to tow it 14hrs to the dealer and back home again. Our own ins co would never have paid those last two items--simply not covered--but it is the responsibility of the other driver's ins co to make good those other monetary losses as well as the direct damages to your trailer. So try working through the other driver's ins co and you will probably fare much better. (Sorry this is so long!)

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:50 AM   #105
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Vivian, no need whatsoever to apologize. I'm sure many of us, myself included, appreciate your valuable advice.
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:04 PM   #106
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Cassity View Post
I think this will be my last update. Hard to believe it's now been almost 8 weeks since the accident. It plays over and over in my head at least 5 times a day. Unfortunately, I am still fighting with the insurance company. What a nightmare! I'm hope that none of you ever have to go through it. I can't imagine those unfortunate folks that have to go through it while being injured. Talk about the insurance company having an edge! I have literally been on the phone with with the insurance company, talking to 7 difference adjusters almost every single day for the entire 8 weeks. However, it looks like all may be settled this week. We still haven't made the decision to buy another Airstream, though. This entire ordeal is something that I never want to experience again. The accident was bad enough. The insurance company tries to 'wear you down' every chance they get. Switching you from one adjuster to another, not returning phone calls, not returning emails to delaying communication with the GMC dealer that had my Yukon. It took over a month just to get the Yukon appraised and declared a total loss! Then ( and still ongoing ) is the issue with the New Vehicle Replacement Policy. It took me weeks to finally convince the adjusters that both vehicles qualified for that coverage. Now, after talking with numerous adjusters for the insurance company, they have changed their mind again regarding the airstream and are telling me it in fact, does not qualify. So, tomorrow begins another fight. My reason for writing all this is not to burden all of you fine folks with my problems. I am hoping that someone will take some of the information that I have provided during the last few weeks to make you are as prepared as you possible can be before heading out on the road. If nothing else, I would suggest that everyone contact their insurance companies to find out just what your coverage is and how to proceed if you need to make a claim. I really felt I had the best insurance money could buy. What I found out is that I may have the very best insurance company there is in trying to avoid paying what they originally promised.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Others with actual experience working IN the insurance business have certainly given you good advice about that topic. My turn on the "Back into Airstreaming or Not?" question. First, replace with a used unit - pre-dented for carefree towing. Ditto on the truck/SUV you choose to replace it with. Next start with 10 to 50 mile trips. Virtually anywhere in this beautiful country there are nice places to visit even a county or two away. And if towing is stressful, well a one hour drive and the big "whew" followed by "triumph" will start to make the accident become less prominent. Truth? On the trip home from Colonial to Cape May I made it in 5 or 6 "legs" of about 50 miles each. Worst result? Blew right through my deodorant big time. Had a handy place to shower off the funk though.

You don't ever HAVE to tow more than 50 miles .... at a time. Just take a 30-60 minute break and nap every 50 miles if you have to. When you feel comfortable, you'll start stretching that to 75, 100, 200 or longer. Stay home? Bad stuff can get you in your easy chair. I had a nasty thought about being quarantined in the Airstream because of Ebola... It's real and not as remote a possibility as we'd all like to think about. How far are YOU from a regional, national or international Airport. That's exactly how far you are from possible infection. FEAR is a four letter word!

All in all, there are a lot worse things than being in a wreck. Having an Airstream is a good excuse for having a vehicle big enough to take a licking and not crush you.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:11 PM   #107
DANIEL WILLIAM WEGGESSER

2014 27' FB International
AMARILLO , TX
Just to let you know I just bought this airstream from the salvage pool. It does have some damage but I am a aircraft structures guy so it will be repaired well and make a great as for me and my wife. We have been waiting for one like this for many years and feel blessed to have it but we hope you are all well after the accident.
dnavcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:37 AM   #108
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Montgomery , Texas
dnavcrew, are you saying you bought our old (now yours) airstream?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-27-2014, 06:48 AM   #109
DANIEL WILLIAM WEGGESSER

AMARILLO , TX
I believe I have. Is this your old vin # 1STTFYL25EJ529471. I'm buying it from a salvage dealer here in amarillo.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:00 AM   #110
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
FEAR = false evidence appearing real

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:12 AM   #111
3 Rivet Member

Mantua , Ohio
Not to belittle your AS loss, but it's NOTHING compared to not being hurt!
God bless you!
Studioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:37 AM   #112
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Montgomery , Texas
That's it! That is so great, Great to know that the texting idiot that hit us not only didn't kill us, he also didn't kill our Airstream! I wish you well with it and would love to see photos of its restoration! We have decided that we loved the lifestyle way too much not to do it again. We ordered our new one last week and it will be available in late December. Thanks for letting us know. Take care and good luck with the rebuild!

Old 10-27-2014, 09:00 AM   #113
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
That's it! That is so great, Great to know that the texting idiot that hit us not only didn't kill us, he also didn't kill our Airstream! I wish you well with it and would love to see photos of its restoration! We have decided that we loved the lifestyle way too much not to do it again. We ordered our new one last week and it will be available in late December. Thanks for letting us know. Take care and good luck with the rebuild!

YEAH! Good for you!
Old 10-27-2014, 09:12 AM   #114
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:

Good for you both!

Maggie
Old 10-27-2014, 01:44 PM   #115
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Yay!!
Pat, glad you worked out the problems!!! That is super news!

And, you helped another Airstreamer get started!!!! Tough way... but... you did it...!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:08 PM   #116
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Pat,
Just finished reading this biting my nails, glad everybody was safe, could have been horrible, saw a SOB get blown over on I94 in west ND and it took the TV with it at speed. Very ugly. Making me second guess buying a new AS now.

dnavcrew,
Not sure if it's out of line to ask(you can always say no) but how much did it cost to buy the salvage trailer?
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:03 PM   #117
DANIEL WILLIAM WEGGESSER

AMARILLO , TX
Dnavcrew history

Thank you so much I was worried most members would look down on a guy like me. A little history about this purchase. First I'm a retired us navy aircraft structural mechanic. I also have had many years working on BIG aircraft repairing them form the inside, they are truly very similar to an AS.
Ok back story. I have ALWAYS been a fan of airstream. My father, a machines by trade and in a line of blacksmiths, always would point them out to me and how well they were made. He was able to purchase one finally in 2004, a 75 land yacht 30 footer. Unfortunately it had sat since new in the Mohave desert and time, rats and Mother Nature took its toll. He now is suffering major health issues and I couldn't afford to restore it so we gave it away last year for 5 grand.
Lastly I have been a major gear head since birth and have experience in restoration of old cars, gas pumps, motor cycles etc. Since the military never pays well I used my abilities to buy and sell lots of cars. My speciality is 69/70 mustangs of which I own several. To add to my addition in 2003 I started buying wrecked VW diesels from the local salvage pools, at my last duty station,
and made it into a thriving business until the market crash of 2008. Since then I have struggled to stay perminately employed and recently had to move to amarillo with my spouse who had a more stable job.
NOW for the surprise and major irony!
Two months after I sold my home of ten years, moved a 4000sqft restoration business my wife surprises me with my dream car, a 2008 Roush 427R.
On the second day after I bought it a old lady turns into me as I drove through a intersection at 55 mph and destroys my hip, car and neck. Funny how the guy that saves things people think as trash gets it in the end.
Now out of work for two more years I have repaired my body as best as I can, got ripped off by some "great lawyers" but got a good degree while I was recouperating. This AS will be my first and the next step in my life long education of rebuilding great and beautiful things
Thanks for the space and I'm looking forward to having some fun.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:08 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
um, DNA, I am acquainted with an AS dealer who's personal 30' Classic is a salvage title rollover that he rebuilt......so if we look down on you....we look down on the AS dealer?!?!?!?!?!?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:33 PM   #119
Firedog1

2018 30' Classic
Woodbridge Connecticut & , Venice Florida
Welcome back Pat, followed your story from day one. So happy it all worked out.
DNA, wish you best with the restoration. Post pictures.
Sold but not forgotten: 2005 Classic 25 Limited
2015 Classic 30 RB
Firedog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:58 PM   #120
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Checking in late to the end of this thread, but check out our photos in post #203 on this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...124100-15.html .

Our accident happened on August 25--a driver in front of us dozed off, flipped her car in the ditch, and hit a utility pole which snapped and then smacked into the Bambi. Thankfully nobody was hurt, but it has taken two months to finally get our insurance adjuster to agree that Bambi was a write-off and we could go ahead and replace it on their dime.

Hopefully we'll find its replacement early next month.

Not all RV insurance appraisers and adjusters have experience with Airstreams. Finally we got our adjuster to agree that we could get an estimate from a licensed Airstream mechanic, not just from their guy who is familiar with ordinary SOBs. Our mechanic's (Doug, at Airstream of Spokane) estimate was significantly higher than what the adjuster's appraiser-for-hire came up with.

Persistence will hopefully pay off in our case; but sadly, that is what it seems to take. Never mind that we were that close to being killed in the accident.

Our best wishes to anyone else undergoing a similar ordeal.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote