Old 08-20-2014, 09:30 PM   #43
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Man, I can barely begin to find the words looking at those photos. Our vehicle isn't as new, and we're buying a used Airstream, but to just have everything and be setting out on what should be an adventure and to have your world basically turned upside down. Glad you guys weren't seriously hurt. Praying your insurance companies move quickly in restoring everything. And hoping this won't deter you from future adventures and fun.

Good luck Pat.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:06 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
rockwall , Texas
wow

I just learned of your misfortune, my greatest fear while traveling. I think the advice about the value of your trailer is correct, NADA values are unrealistic. Be sure to point the PD adjuster to sites that reflect the true market value of your trailer.(airstreamclassifieds) and others. Do not settle the PD claim until you been made whole. Some insurance company are better than others. If the 3rd party carrier is not offering the true market value, then turn the claim over to your own insurance company and see what they offer. Your insurance carrier will pursue the other in arbitration. If neither meets your expectations, see if you can get legal help. Sorry for your our loss.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:28 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Glad your O.K. This is what I worry about when traveling any where. I saw a driver texting with a smashed front end. You would ''think'' that they would have learned after the first crash. I hope that I can be as understanding as you were after finding out the cause of accident. Should be mandatory jail time for texting.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:22 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
That is a nightmare come true. I am happy to hear you were not injured.
I am with those that think texting and driving is as bad as drunk driving. I would say the offender got off very easy!!
Best of luck with the insurance.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:00 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
road rash

Yeah, glad you all are ok. It's like 'Mad-Max' on the highways these days.
You know, it says something for the construction of the Airstream that it was not peeled open. So often you see Travel trailers cracked open and items strewn about the interstate. I am impressed with how well you Airstream survived the calamity, and your GMC.
Sounds like you handled the situation in a calm, professional manner. The one time I was hit by a drunk driver, I didn't do so well.
Your family is in our prayers.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:34 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Sure am glad you both are basically okay.

Incidents like this do not always turn out okay. At least the culprit that caused the accident is known. Not mentioned so far is the idea of a civil lawsuit for damages not covered by the weasel insurance companies). Do some home work with your attorney as you may need his letterhead as coercion with the insurance companies.

The trailer and tow vehicles will eventually be replaced.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:43 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
San Jose , California
our most sincere symphaties

God bless you guy's came out ok without any scratches frōm this horrenduos accident, most important is that you and tour familly are ok. Needless to say, that both of your vehicles performed great to protect you as I can see from the pictures, the AS and whatever hitch you had did their job. Hope you get back on the road soon and put this incident behind, this is ne of those things that are impossible to avoid and can happen to anyone of us. I am convinced that after looking at those pictures that the AS performed as the best safest TT is out there on the roads. God Bless you are ok. Tony
Old 08-22-2014, 07:22 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Sure am glad you both are basically okay.

Incidents like this do not always turn out okay. At least the culprit that caused the accident is known. Not mentioned so far is the idea of a civil lawsuit for damages not covered by the weasel insurance companies). Do some home work with your attorney as you may need his letterhead as coercion with the insurance companies.

The trailer and tow vehicles will eventually be replaced.
Totally agree about the civil suit (and I'm not a fan of the frivolous lawsuits that are the new "lottery" in the US - but this one warrants action in my unprofessional opinion).

A for my profession - I work at an insurance company and I'm not offended by your characterization - though I'd offer for your consideration a few points.

1) insurance is an odd product in that you buy it in the hopes of never using it and 99% of the time, we understand the basic concepts but VERY few specifics on the contract language, the actual coverage we have or don't have, jurisdictional differences in legal interpretation of the contract, etc. It's very simple on the surface and exceedingly complicated in practice. That it can't be summarized in a bumper sticker contributes to that "weasel" feeling.

2) some carriers (the one I work for, which doesn't provide RV coverage) train their Claim professionals to FIND coverage in the contract and to pay what is owed - period. Others may go about that process differently. Choose wisely. Very often that lowest price is not lowest overall cost.

3) Insurance is actually a very non-weasely business. If you've seen Jimmy Stewart in "It's a Wonderful Life" - its like that scene where there's a run on the bank (their savings and loan) and he's telling them - your money isn't in the vault, it's in Sam's house and Sally's kid's education....etc. It's amazing how we all pool our funds (premiums) like a community (and we rarely know all the other members of that community) so no one of us has to take a catastrophic hit. Yes, some people never have a loss or need to make a claim and you could say they "wasted" their money. For some, having the peace of mind of knowing they are covered (and hopefully the exact definition of that in the event of a loss) is worth the funds.

These are my opinions - not my employer's. everyone's mileage may vary.

As for Pat's situation - I'm so glad you guys are ok though I am so tired of seeing people texting while driving I could literally scream! I think this is worse than drunk driving because in theory, you're not impaired and should be able to make a better decision - like - put your damn phone down and think about the other drivers on the road and not only your narcissistic self! Argh!!!!
Old 08-22-2014, 09:01 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Petaluma , California
I'm with Tyvekat. Given the explanation of the accident as it happened, I think the pictures show that both vehicles performed beautifully. I think the AS might be a good salvage title to work on. It's tough to see your new baby banged up like that and Paula may be right that there is hidden damage but by and large the AS looks very in-tact and salvageable (for someone who wants to take that on). I would not think that an SOB would have the same integrity inside and out with a external hit and then high speed jackknife and roll. Pat, we are very glad that you and your wife were not seriously injured. Thanks for sharing so much of your story with us.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
So glad you came through this all right!!
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:03 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have an AS dealer acquaintance who bought a salvage title rollover and repaired it for his personal use. I haven't seen it, but he says it tows perfectly, looks fine on the outside, but if you sit and study the interior really hard, some stuff just isn't square and/or lined up perfectly. He said if someone came in and didn't know it had been totaled, they probably wouldn't even notice.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Thank God, you are ok! The rest is fluff. Good luck as you go on.

Kay
Old 08-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrouper View Post
I'm with Tyvekat. Given the explanation of the accident as it happened, I think the pictures show that both vehicles performed beautifully. I think the AS might be a good salvage title to work on. It's tough to see your new baby banged up like that and Paula may be right that there is hidden damage but by and large the AS looks very in-tact and salvageable (for someone who wants to take that on). I would not think that an SOB would have the same integrity inside and out with a external hit and then high speed jackknife and roll. Pat, we are very glad that you and your wife were not seriously injured. Thanks for sharing so much of your story with us.
Dear Super - you are so right about what would have happened to an SOB in a wreck. I've seen four of those wrecks. A big fiver had one whole side come off - and everything that was against that wall went flying too down about 300 yards of highway median. It looked like a semi was trying to pass it and perhaps the 5th wheel got sucked into the side of the trailer. I was actually surprised that as much of the trailer remained in one piece! This one didn't even go over, it was still on its wheels when I drove past in the other direction. The other three simply disintegrated as the side hit the ground. The Airstream is a crushed tin can, but it's in one piece.

Paula
Old 08-22-2014, 12:49 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
[QUOTE="Pat Cassity;1497036"]Yesterday was a day that my wife and I will remember for the rest of our lives.

Thankfully you and your wife weren't seriously hurt. I had déjà vu when I read the thread, as back in June my wife and I were leaving the Amarillo KOA heading to I 40 when making a left turn a truck came flying from my left and drove around the front of our truck and skidded back on the road. Turns out the driver of the truck told me he saw my blinker for the left turn, but he zoned out and almost hit the rear of our trailer, and he managed to drive like Dale Earnhart Jr. And catastrophe was avoided.

Looking at your pictures I realize how bad it could have been. This has to be every Airstreamers nightmare, as we can control how we drive but are at the mercy of fate with other less careful drivers. Good luck with your insurance carrier, and safer travels in the future...

Regards,

Reganzo