Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2014, 09:50 AM   #61
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Montgomery , Texas
Yes. It is Liberty Mutual. The initial claim was filed with them A subsequent claim has been file with the other driver's insurance. LM will pay the initial claim and his insurance will reimburse LM.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:38 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Claims adjusters are paid to NOT disperse funds and will look for any excuse to pay the least or no compensation. The agent on the other hand gets his commission by selling the policy in glowing terms that often do not align with the reality of a claim.

In my experience, the consumer gets the shaft in both directions - exaggerated selling to inflate premiums and miserly claims payouts.
Well, I'm sorry - but now I do take offense at this statement. Do you work in the insurance field? How do you make such a broad brush statement as though it were an immutable fact? I'm open to hearing your point of view, but your statement is - in my opinion - ill-informed at best and frankly insulting.

The vast majority of people in this business (whether Agents, Underwriters or Claim professionals) are wired to do the right thing. Every industry has some rotten apples - but your sweeping attack is unwarranted.

I have the privilege of leading lead the Claim training team at my carrier and would fire on the spot any trainer who even suggested anything remotely close to your accusation that adjusters are paid not to disperse funds. Moreover, I would quit on the spot if management ever suggested such a thing. It's called "bad faith" and a carrier who would engage in that manner wouldn't be in business very long. We've been in business over 160 years precisely because we honor our promise.

I don't mind if you don't understand the business, the products or the myriad jurisdictional differences regulated by each state - as I said before, it's very complicated. But I deeply object to your broad brush and false accusations of the professionals I know and work with day in and day out. I know first hand literally hundreds of heroic and compassionate interactions on the part of our Claim professionals with claimants and our customers in the midst of some horrific catastrophic events - some of whom now work on my team training others to FIND coverage - not excuses to avoid paying.

Unless you've got some specific experience that supports your statement, I would welcome your apology on behalf of all the honest professionals you've just insulted.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:13 PM   #63
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Woodstock , Georgia
In 50 thousand plus miles I of towing a camper I am lucky to have had one close call. To this day I still don't know how we were completely side ways though a ditch(seeing the side of our camper in my side view mirror is still in my mind) skid marks grass it was hard to forget. All cause by a distracted driver.
I hope you are able to replace the things in your life and be thankful for your safety.

The Streaming Gantt's on Airstream Forums
Keith Gantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #64
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Steve, there are many reckless statements made on this forum, usually by people who are uninformed or have a grudge. Unfortunately, now that post is on the forums it will show Everytime someone uses the search function. And you know how it is, if you repeat a lie enough times, it becomes fact. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:48 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Texas
Other than my disagreement with information as it was explained to me regarding the full replacement endorsement, I couldn't be happier with LMs response. They have communicated with me every day but Sunday since the accident. At the moment I have no reason to doubt that they will continue to act in accordance with the policy. Certainly there may be disagreements along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-24-2014, 06:11 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Pat - I hope things resolve well for you. Liberty (not my company) is a solid carrier. So sorry this even happened but am so glad it wasn't more catastrophic. I still think texting and driving should be a universally criminal offense with significant jail time even for first offenders. That they presume their text is more important than the lives and property of everyone else on the road is as narcissistic as it gets and it's inexcusable.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:21 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Steve, there are many reckless statements made on this forum, usually by people who are uninformed or have a grudge. Unfortunately, now that post is on the forums it will show Everytime someone uses the search function. And you know how it is, if you repeat a lie enough times, it becomes fact. Jim
That's why I responded in the forum - that attack won't go undefended. Switz's posts are usually very informative. Not so with that last one. Everyone is certainly entitled to his/her opinion - but that broad brush (like most) is just plain insulting :-(

Most importantly, just hoping Pat's situation is resolved well and there's more safe and happy camping ahead for Pat and all of us!! :-)
Old 08-24-2014, 10:31 PM   #68
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Pat... Offer still stands! Hang in there!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:42 AM   #69
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Claims adjusters are paid to NOT disperse funds and will look for any excuse to pay the least or no compensation. The agent on the other hand gets his commission by selling the policy in glowing terms that often do not align with the reality of a claim.

In my experience, the consumer gets the shaft in both directions - exaggerated selling to inflate premiums and miserly claims payouts.
I assume you are generally speaking here as there are good and bad apples. But in your defense I have seen my share of skin flint adjusters. They always think of a way to decrease their payout. I do have to say they know all the tricks. Just 2 weeks ago I seen a Progressive adjuster not wanting to pay for a boat trailer that had a wheel bearing fail. The guy told the adjuster I should of known by your name to stay away.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:08 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I will apologize for my broad brush statement above in post #59.

I made it based upon my personal experience in a vehicle accident remediation process that still galls me.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:22 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
I will apologize for my broad brush statement above in post #59.

I made it based upon my personal experience in a vehicle accident remediation process that still galls me.
Thanks - I'm very sorry you had a bad experience.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:27 AM   #72
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
We cool!! Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:33 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
I must say that Farm Bureau responded quickly with payment in full for the recent damage to my Airstream. The damage was from a windblown party tent that took flight in a storm, and did over $8100 in damages.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-27-2014, 05:45 PM   #74
4 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Texas
Update. The damage to the Airstream was appraised today by a LM adjuster. During our conversation yesterday, he told me that it would take a few days and then he would contact me to discuss the N.A.D.A. value if in fact it was determined to be a total loss. I reminded him that N.A.D.A was notoriously low, in regards to RV values. Can anyone suggest where I might 'steer' him to find a more accurate value?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-27-2014, 05:50 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I'd get a public claims adjuster if they are talking NADA. I don't remember the age of your trailer, but maybe show him like trailers that are for sale.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:58 PM   #76
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Pat, get estimates of value from your selling dealer and maybe one or two others. I think you said your trailer is about 6 months old. Should be covered for replacement cost of the price you paid.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:52 PM   #77
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Maybe someone here knows the logic used by adjusters when working with "customers". The goal must be "to make you whole"...or at least restore you to a slightly depreciated based upon your personal wear/use. Like within $500.

Next you have your personal impact..we can attest to the damage done there, I bet family and close friends can attribute some weight to that part of the damages.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:37 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
When any new trailer rear bumper passes the edge of the dealership lot as one starts to tow it home, the value just dropped about 25%. If there is a loan, one is wise to also carry "GAP" insurance to make up that difference to pay off the loan in the event of a "total" loss.

Some insurance carriers provide for full replacement in the first few years of ownership. That is a good deal. We are using Good Sam with that specific feature.

We have increased the declared value to cover all the after sale modifications which are about 25% of the original list price.

Our original insurance carrier on the 25FB would have only paid the "actual cash value" so we would have had to eat that 25% value loss. That is a really bad deal for the consumer as the premium is based on what you paid for it.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:07 AM   #79
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Switz saw your post about Pat's incident and you mention that you have Good Sam. Just an FYI. I had Good Sam which is actually a policy from National General. My storage lot, which has the standard storage lot disclaimer that they aren't responsible for anything that happens, moved my 2 month old trailer and ran it into a wall. Damage estimate from Airstream, $11K.

I filed a claim with Good Sam which they promptly denied. In their policy through National General in Part D6 they have the following:

6. loss to your covered auto or any non-owned auto being maintained or use by any person while employed or otherwise engaged in the business of: A. selling, b. repairing, c. servicing, d. storing, e. parking, f. road testing or g. delivering

This is typical language in a policy with the EXCEPTION of the words 'covered auto’.

I got quotes and sample policies from 3 other carriers and NONE had that language in the exclusion section.

So if you drop your trailer off for warranty work and while moving it the service center runs it into a wall or otherwise damages the trailer you are at the mercy of other guys insurance company if you have a policy with Good Sam/National General.

So my lesson learned was to look more closely at the insurance exclusions and will never do business with Good Sam/National again. Lots of other companies out there, competitive prices and many also offer the replacement coverage you mention during the early years of ownership.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:52 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
NADA values are very low on Airstream trailers.They are not real world selling prices.I would ask them to do a market evaluation on real sale prices.Also gather all service and maintenance bills,and upgrades that you have made in order to justify them settling with you for more money than just the average Airstream trailer.Also you make sure that the comps they find are the same model and had the same factory options as yours.You might do your own market analysis so you are on the same page.
Let the negotiations begin...............
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote