Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-26-2008, 07:19 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
A note of thanks from Darol Ingalls

A lot of folks around here know Darol, he's a forum contributor, a regular at NW forum rallies, a talented Airstream restorer, and an all-around good guy. This summer he was diagnosed with leukemia, and he made it to the Confined Spaces Forum Rally with the good news that a bone marrow donor had been located, and that was his last chance to visit with folks before heading off a week or so later to OHSU to begin cancer treatments.

Unfortunately to begin treatments he had to move out of his house and into his new trailer, a nice old Holiday Rambler he bought just for the purpose, and parked on his parents lot in Oregon. When he did that he had to give up his computer connection and no longer has access to the forums.

Here is the card I just received from him today:

Quote:

I know I already sent you a card but now I feel better and thought I'd give you an update.

I had a 3rd round of chemo 3 weeks ago and 2 more days the next week. Finally they think the leukemia is reduced enough to go ahead with the transplant, starting Jan 5th. Of course, there are no guarentees, but at least there's some encouragement.

I wonder if you could post a 'note of thanks' for me on the forums site, along with a short update on the transplant. So many people have been wondering what's up, and I have no way to access the forums.
So that's the latest update. I have been trying to keep people up to date whenever I get news on how he's doing, and I send those out by PM. Because the system is limited to PMing 5 people at a time I may have missed some folks. If so I'm sorry. But now you have the latest news. When I, or anyone else gets further news, feel free to post here.

If anyone wants to post well wishes I'll print them up and send them on to him. Keep him in your prayers. He's a great guy, and I'm looking forward to him getting through this and joining us for more rallys this summer!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Steph

Is there an address that we can sends cards to? I know Darol's many friends would like to send cards of Hope and Encouragement.

If not please forward to Darol:
Hang in there our thoughts are with you.
You will be expected at Area 33, so get better.
Janet and Gary
Old 12-26-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
My thanks to Darol for counting us in his sphere of friends. I'm sure all are wishing him the best.

Thanks for posting, Stephanie.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:08 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet's Husband View Post
Steph

Is there an address that we can sends cards to? I know Darol's many friends would like to send cards of Hope and Encouragement.
Yes, I almost forgot! You can mail him at:

Darol Ingalls
1171 N. Maple St.,
Canby OR 97013

Old 12-27-2008, 12:18 PM   #5
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Steph, thanks for posting his address and I'll get a card in the mail to him. I was so glad he was able to stop by Confined Spaces. Glad to hear things are looking up and I'm hoping he will be ready to go for rally season in '09!
Old 12-27-2008, 01:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Thank you Steph for posting the information on Darol.

He has been in our prayers since we learned of his illness.

We will get a card off to him right away.

Barry
Old 12-27-2008, 01:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Darol, we miss you at the forums and hope the new year will bring in many good times and that you will soon be back to rallying with all your friends around a warm campfire.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:22 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Thompsons Station , Tennessee
Darol has helped me so much with questions about my Caravel. I will be praying for him and hope he makes a speady recovery.
modarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:22 PM   #9
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Steph - Thanks for posting this update.

Darol – Thank you for your note and the good news it contains. I’m very happy to hear that the transplant will finally happen. I join many in wishing you an excellent result and a quick return to feeling well – on a permanent basis! I have a few new campgrounds to recommend to you when you’re back on the road.
Many thanks for all the help you’ve given me with my Tradewind project. Be prepared for a barrage of questions when I begin re-installing the cabinetry and woodwork. . . .

Mark
Mark Wiltrakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:24 PM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
I got a call from Darol this morning! He said there was some questions about the donor, but those have all been worked out, and now he is ready to go back into the hospital on the 12th, for a week of prep before the transplant on the 20th. He said he really appreciated the cards and well wishes. His spirits are up, he sounds like his regular old self, and he says he's determined to make it to the rally at Area 33 this summer, even if he just drives down to join us for a day! He said that will show he's beating this thing!

Old 01-08-2009, 10:32 PM   #11
JDL
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
T , Oregon
Darol, you are in my thoughts and prayers. I miss seeing you on the forums. My best for a speedy recover. See you at area 33!

jd
JDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:04 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Steph,

Thanks for posting this thread! I hope you have time to print out all the posts and send a copy to Darol! It is always welcome to know your friends are pulling for you! Darol is a great guy and has helped us a great deal and been a good friend. We wish him the best and hope his recovery is excellent!

May the force be with you, Darol! and your doctors!

Claudia & Don
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:28 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
I'd like to chime in with best wishes for a speedy recovery too, but I'd also like to give thanks to the donor as well. I'm on the Red Cross marrow donor list, and though I've never been a good enough match, I've come close a few times. I also donate platelets. If you've never thought about becoming a donor - perhaps now would be a great time to sign up!

(sorry if this sounds all preachy)
Old 01-15-2009, 06:26 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Darol, Glad to hear things are moving forward. This fight you are going through sounds somewhat like an Airstream restoration. Pulling all the pieces together and finding the time for this and that. But when the project is complete, it's really something to be proud of.
We're with you Don
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:48 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Steph,

Please tell Darol our thoughts and prayers are with him for a speedy recovery.

Marie
Old 01-15-2009, 09:48 AM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
Thank you for doing that, you never know who you might help!

How do you go about volunteering for that?

Steph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfrodge View Post
I'd like to chime in with best wishes for a speedy recovery too, but I'd also like to give thanks to the donor as well. I'm on the Red Cross marrow donor list, and though I've never been a good enough match, I've come close a few times. I also donate platelets. If you've never thought about becoming a donor - perhaps now would be a great time to sign up!

(sorry if this sounds all preachy)

Old 01-15-2009, 09:49 AM   #17

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn View Post
I hope you have time to print out all the posts and send a copy to Darol!
I printed off the thread and sent it to him last week, so he could read it before he went back in for the transplant. As more well wishes come in I can print them off and send another batch along

Old 01-24-2009, 11:37 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Any word on how he is doing? We sure are wishing him well!

Claudia
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #19

1968 17' Caravel
I have not heard from him yet. Hopefully he's recovering from the transplant by now. We're all keeping our fingers crossed for good news as soon as he's feeling well enough to get back in touch.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:17 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
When I was going through my treatments (a long time ago) I found letters that were upbeat and talking about things friends were doing to be very uplifting. I could read them while sitting in a waiting room, while being injected, and re-read them later as refreshers. The letters were one way of me staying connected to our group of friends so when we did see them I was not completely out of touch. Importantly it was also a way of my knowing that the writers felt I was just out of reach due to illness and not permanently out, and with focus on non-illness related things it gave me a much needed diversion from the day to day I was living. For those of you who know me you will know that the ones I enjoyed the most were those dealing with hot rods, vintage cars, and road trips. The latter ones I read many times, envisioning doing the same trips myself and what I'd see and do when I got better.

With that in mind I put together a letter to Darol when Steph put out his address, telling him what we'd been up to with the trailer and our plans for the coming year. No mention about the illness other than a best wishes and hope things are going okay but the pirmary focus was on looking forward to the future and hope to meet him in person.

I think email is great when the intended recipient can access it frequently and we know in Darol's case he cannot. But getting real old fashioned mail to read, and stuff that is newsy and focused on what is to come in a positive way, is always helpful and appreciated.

So, if you have a chance, type him that note that you would have typed on the forum and hit print, or rough it and pick up a pen, and when done throw it into an envelope. Cards are wonderful too, but a letter in the mail with things to read time and again are always treasured.

Another thought, if you are on the road, it would be fun to send Darol a postcard from the various towns you hit with a bit of news about the days or a weeks worth of travels. Or print a copy of your days blog and fire it off. At least in that way he will get to do some "travel" vicariously for now.

Take care,
Barry