Old 01-15-2009, 09:48 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Steph,

Please tell Darol our thoughts and prayers are with him for a speedy recovery.

Marie

Old 01-15-2009, 10:48 AM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Thank you for doing that, you never know who you might help!

How do you go about volunteering for that?

Steph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfrodge View Post
I'd like to chime in with best wishes for a speedy recovery too, but I'd also like to give thanks to the donor as well. I'm on the Red Cross marrow donor list, and though I've never been a good enough match, I've come close a few times. I also donate platelets. If you've never thought about becoming a donor - perhaps now would be a great time to sign up!

(sorry if this sounds all preachy)

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:49 AM   #17

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn View Post
I hope you have time to print out all the posts and send a copy to Darol!
I printed off the thread and sent it to him last week, so he could read it before he went back in for the transplant. As more well wishes come in I can print them off and send another batch along

Old 01-25-2009, 12:37 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Any word on how he is doing? We sure are wishing him well!

Claudia
Old 01-26-2009, 09:33 PM   #19

1968 17' Caravel
I have not heard from him yet. Hopefully he's recovering from the transplant by now. We're all keeping our fingers crossed for good news as soon as he's feeling well enough to get back in touch.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:17 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
When I was going through my treatments (a long time ago) I found letters that were upbeat and talking about things friends were doing to be very uplifting. I could read them while sitting in a waiting room, while being injected, and re-read them later as refreshers. The letters were one way of me staying connected to our group of friends so when we did see them I was not completely out of touch. Importantly it was also a way of my knowing that the writers felt I was just out of reach due to illness and not permanently out, and with focus on non-illness related things it gave me a much needed diversion from the day to day I was living. For those of you who know me you will know that the ones I enjoyed the most were those dealing with hot rods, vintage cars, and road trips. The latter ones I read many times, envisioning doing the same trips myself and what I'd see and do when I got better.

With that in mind I put together a letter to Darol when Steph put out his address, telling him what we'd been up to with the trailer and our plans for the coming year. No mention about the illness other than a best wishes and hope things are going okay but the pirmary focus was on looking forward to the future and hope to meet him in person.

I think email is great when the intended recipient can access it frequently and we know in Darol's case he cannot. But getting real old fashioned mail to read, and stuff that is newsy and focused on what is to come in a positive way, is always helpful and appreciated.

So, if you have a chance, type him that note that you would have typed on the forum and hit print, or rough it and pick up a pen, and when done throw it into an envelope. Cards are wonderful too, but a letter in the mail with things to read time and again are always treasured.

Another thought, if you are on the road, it would be fun to send Darol a postcard from the various towns you hit with a bit of news about the days or a weeks worth of travels. Or print a copy of your days blog and fire it off. At least in that way he will get to do some "travel" vicariously for now.

Take care,
Barry
Old 01-26-2009, 11:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Thank you for doing that, you never know who you might help!

How do you go about volunteering for that?

Steph
In the US, I believe it's the National Marrow Donor Program. In Canada, it's through the Canadian Blood Services. While I can't attest to the US requirements to become a bone marrow donor, I believe it's similar to what we undergo here in Canada - a simple information session and blood donation in order for them to type your blood. After that you're in the registry and wait for a match to come up.

Platelets/apheresis - in Canada, again it's the Cdn. Blood Services. In the US I believe it's the Red Cross. It's a bit of a time commitment - up to 2 hours for a donation (which you can do every 2 weeks or so). It's really tough too, sitting in a very comfy chair with a heated blanket reading a book/watching TV or a movie, nice and peaceful... They use platelets to help those who are suffering from various cancers or blood disorders, etc...

So get out there folks! If you don't know your blood type, maybe it's time to find out - you may have a rare type that can really help out! When I found out I was O neg, I felt the need to lend a hand to someone who needed it.

As Martha would say, it's a good thing.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:28 PM   #22

1968 17' Caravel
Wise advice from the last two posters!

Here's a bit of an update from Tony and Linda:

Quote:
Hi Stephanie,
Just talked again to Darol at OHSU - he's looking forward to a daytime visit to Area 33. The transplant is going OK. He's on the rebuilding track and will be at OHSU for at least a few more weeks.
Good news!

Old 01-28-2009, 01:32 PM   #23
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Thanks for the update Stephanie. So glad to hear things are going okay!
Old 02-19-2009, 09:50 PM   #24

1968 17' Caravel
I got a call from Darol tonight! He has been in the hospital since the bone marrow transplant in January. He said he has been really wiped out the whole time. Tomorrow they are finally moving him out of the hospital, but not to home - to a rehab center, because he fell and broke his leg while in the hospital! What luck! So he's expecting to spend a week there building his muscles back up, then back home to his trailer, finally.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:41 PM   #25
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Wow - bad news about the leg, but good news about the move to new digs. Heal up quick Darol - you have 3 months before your attendance is expected at area 33

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:02 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Wow ~ sorry to hear about your leg! I am sure it has something to do with those icky socks they give you to wear and the green jello....

Our good thoughts are with you Darol, we want to see you in the Retro Pod at Area 33!

Claudia
Old 03-16-2009, 12:18 PM   #27

1968 17' Caravel
Here's the latest on Darol. I just heard from Butch and Beth

Quote:
I spoke with Darol today.He is going home in the AM from the therapy unit.Very weak and lost much weight,but blood is improving,so there is good hope.Will go to visit him again in a couple days. See ya' soon,Butch and Beth
So if anyone wants to send him a letter to cheer him along, he'll be back at his home address (at the beginning of the thread).

Old 03-16-2009, 09:06 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Steph,

Glad Darol is finally heading home... home he is strong enough to deal with it. If you see him, tell him I will be more than glad to give him a few pounds! Tell Butch and Beth thanks for sending the news!

Thanks!
Claudia