Old 08-02-2006, 10:50 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbraw
I planned to check it out for you yesterday, however, I called to see if the trailer was still there and they said it had been sold. Looked like a real nice unit and a fair price. You just can't hesitate when one that size and price comes up for sale.
Sorry,
Dan
asta2,
Same thing here. I was going to leave work early today and called Bankston for pricing. They told me the same thing. Keep looking and you will find that trailer.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:05 PM   #16
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
What a drag

Sorry this on slipped away from you. I know it is scant comfort, but I looked and looked before finding mine, no doubt there is a good one out there for you as well.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:52 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
Atlanta , Georgia
Thanks anyway guys - problem was we're hesitant to buy sight unseen. Oh well, we aren't in that big a hurry. What we really want is an early 60s TW or OL to refit, but that one did look to good to last, sigh...

While I have an audience - which is the right forum to ask about TVs? I have a F-150 and we're a bit concerned we may overbuy for the truck...

Thanks again guys!
Old 08-03-2006, 10:28 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by asta2
Thanks anyway guys - problem was we're hesitant to buy sight unseen. Oh well, we aren't in that big a hurry. What we really want is an early 60s TW or OL to refit, but that one did look to good to last, sigh...

While I have an audience - which is the right forum to ask about TVs? I have a F-150 and we're a bit concerned we may overbuy for the truck...

Thanks again guys!
I can understand the sight unseen and that is a wise approach. It is hard to say how long the trailer had been advertised but it doesn't take long before someone starts calling. Some of the members on the forum may run across one of them in their neck of the woods, check it out and give you a heads up. Pictures always help but you have to act fast if someone says it is a good deal. Two other individuals were willing to put down a $1,000 deposit on the trailer I bought but the owner said first one with the money gets it. Fortunately for me I called someone who had seen/been in the trailer and knew the individual from a rally. They said they would buy it if they didn't have the same layout but 9 years newer. That was good enough for me. I respected the individual who posted the trailer for the owner and that helped. It also helped that the owner and I are in the same business and struck up a good conversation about our work. It gave me some insite into the type of person I was dealing with.

This doesn't answer your other questions but I seem to remember some '70's 25' Tradewind owners who pull with 1/2 ton F150 Fords on the forum.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:20 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Too much publicity..

Asta-

Sorry that one got away.. I'd say a clean and functional (all working appliances and major systems) late 80's to early 90's 25' Excella or Sovereign would be worth $10K+, and more if interior and clearcoat in good shape, and good tires.. Hard to sign up for that without seeing it and for sale by a dealer, but sometimes you can get dealer to hold with deposiut, and be real clear about conditions for canceling and gtting $$ back...

We bought our 25' Excella sight unseen from Texas (over 2,000 miles) after losing a pair earlier by stalling... Seller claimed 3 other buyers thinking and working on financing when we wired funds.. Worked out well, after few minor fixes required...

As for tow vehicle, we towed ours with '94 K1500 Suburban (half ton with 200hp 5.7L V8) rated for 7,200#, and it was n't overpowered, but it worked.. There are messages you can search on "Tow Vehicles" and F-150 Fords. Probably fine on older units (pre 1980) or 25' Safari models in late wide-body versions after 1995.. A new loaded Classic 25 is kinda heavy, and might be a strain. Long wheelbase/long bed would be better...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:20 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
Atlanta , Georgia
I went and looked at a 76 Sovereign yesterday that was a nightmare. It strongly reinforced my desire to not buy sight unseen. Sounded good in the ad, but when I got there I found a trailer that hadn't moved in 10 years and had mold on the walls. Took pictures for my wife, which after downloading didn't look much different than any of the other pictures I see on-line. You certainly have to read between the lines on these ads...
Old 08-04-2006, 01:56 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
That would be the downside...

As has been repeated here often, different sellers have widely varying opinions about the term: "Good Condition"....

As Craig points out above, several tricks to extending your search area and coverage...
1. Try to establish some rapport with seller, and see if you feel comfortable with what they tell you live over phone. Ask lots of questions about recent usage, repairs, etc..
2. Try to move fast to find local resource if you can't get there. Use PM's or even phone calls to reach Forum members willing to look at a prospect. (and DO offer and follow-up to reimburse them for gas or time or efforts if they have made an effort)
3. Ask about having it "inspected" by local RV shop, if you can, and see what reaction you get..

The dual challenge is to be able to move faster than potential competing buyers, and yet not rush blindly into buying junk.. If it were easy, we'd ALL have perfectly maintained creampuffs bought way below market price!!

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote