Old 08-19-2004, 06:22 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Smile a good book?

I just bought a 1965 Caravel and have the owners manual and all original paperwork but I'd like to do some further reading. Can anyone recommend a good general type RV book as well as a book specific to Airstream?

Thank you!

Old 08-19-2004, 07:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
Wink Good books that helped me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnZ3
I just bought a 1965 Caravel and have the owners manual and all original paperwork but I'd like to do some further reading. Can anyone recommend a good general type RV book as well as a book specific to Airstream?

Thank you!
I found a copy of "Trailer Travel, Here and Abroad" by Wally Byam, at a local sale a few years ago. It's what originally got me kickstarted, along with fond childhood memories of running around my Grandma's trailer park in Florida as a child. She ha d a pink trailer; I don't remeber what brand. I wish I did!

Anyway. that book is worth hunting (and paying) for, but also you should invest in "RVing for Dummies".. I swear it sheds a lot of light, especially if you're a beginner! You can probably find that, used, on Ebay.

Welcome to the forum! Is this your first attempt at camping and/or Airstreaming?

RaChelle

Old 08-19-2004, 09:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Right now Wally's book is going for a lot of money on the second hand book market. However, it is worthwhile reading, at least for historic content. However, you can do this for free through asking your public library to get it for you by inter-library-loan (there may be a small charge for covering postage costs). It seems that Airstream owns the rights to this book, so maybe someday they'll come out with a cheap reprint, so it can be more readily available (they did this in the early 70s).

Two books we really like include Trailerlife's RV Repair and Maintenance Manual by Bob Livingston. This is a comprehensive book covering all the essential maintenance issues common to any trailer.

For fun, Airstream: The History of the Land Yacht by Bryan Burkhart is just plain cool. It has lots of fun pics of vintage trailers and the text gives a good overview of the development of the Airstream trailer.

Both of these books are readily available--at bookstores and at your public library. Its a good idea to check them out at the library before buying, though these are ones we found we just had to get.

Mary
Old 08-19-2004, 06:44 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

Welcome to the forum! Is this your first attempt at camping and/or Airstreaming?

RaChelle

My husband and Iare "late bloomers." We spent the last 25 years raising our kids and catering to their sports schedules. We discovered camping last summer and promptly invested several hundred dollars in tents, sleeping bags, cooking equip. etc. I had such fun with the shopping and fun in the Adrondacks but not so much fun coming back to a sodden tent and crawling into a wet sleeping bag with a wet dog curled up next to me after a day spent killing time in the rain at shops. We looked at RVs and twice gave a deposit on a new Shadow Cruiser but it just didn't feel right. I'm in love with my Caravel. It was like doing something illegal. I drove from NY to meet a man from Louisana in Va.and paid cash in a hotel room for my AS. My husband was doubtful the night before and said"no more of my schemes!" We're on our way out the door to buy a polisher. I think he's in love

Ann
Old 08-19-2004, 07:56 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Congrats on your find, Ann. We're in love with a Caravel too We also started camping when we got ours last year. Right after I got it I was at the beauticians having my hair cut, and she mentioned camping so I asked her where they liked to go. When I told her I'd just started camping, she said 'aren't you a little old?' Well, gee, I'm 35, is that too old to start?

We are very much enjoying camping in our Caravel, and have discovered all sorts of wonderful places. We will probably never use the tent and sleeping bags again!

Enjoy!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 07:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Ann. Rally in Jamaica is on. Check this thread post #66 for info.
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=12918

If they are full I have an extra site reserved you could have at the park price. We are parked around the showers on the north side. 13 to 19 and 38.
You have a 17 foot trailer so all but tent sites are open to you. 19 is the extra site. You must let me know if you cann't get a site and what to use this one, first come first serve. But please try to get one from them first, they will call you back, promise. Oh.. call the campground directly since it is witin 2 weeks.
See you in Jamaica.