Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2007, 03:02 PM   #1
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
A fraud or not a fraud...that is the question

I saw that 280 diesel moho on ebay....though I saw a past sale was from NJ, I sent the seller a message via eBay simply asking where exactly this was located....here is the response I got and my crap detector started to go off....

Rightly so, wrongly so? Whadda think?

In retrospect, perhaps this was a fraud and is why the auction closed early.
In case it is truly a fraud, which I belive it to be, here is the guys email address, just in case someone else gets in contact with this clown:

"Andrew H" <adwhmr@msn.com>

Hello there,

Thank you for your interest in my 1982 Airstream. I want you to know that I closed my auction earlier because someone offered me the buy it now price, but didn't have all the money available and I cannot accept financing. The price I want to obtain for the RV is $5,000 US (this price includes shipping and insurance charges).
It is like new, completely working, perfect running condition,with no hidden damages or accidents,it has always been garage kept, low miles, non-smoker no flood or storms. It is a US model with US specs and passed the US test emissions. It will be as if purchased locally.The RV is insured in case of damage and you will receive it to your address in 5 working days . It will come with all the necessary papers (clear title, bill of sale, warranty documents, user's manual,insurance etc). The title is clear and you will be able to register the car in your state without any problems.
I am requesting a $2,500 refundable deposit at the beginning of the shipping and the balance to be paid after delivery and inspection. If you are not 100% content with the car you will be able to ship it back on my expense to get your deposit back. I am sure this will not happen, because it is a state of the art vehicle and you will have no reasons not to be content with it.
We will use eBay Motors as third party. First you will pay the down payment to eBay and you will send the receipt proving your payment to eBay. Please note that eBay will hold your deposit of $2,500 until you will confirm that you received the car and you transferred the title into your name.
If you agree with these terms, please send me your full name, home and shipping address, eBay ID so I can register the transaction with eBay asap.

...waiting for your fast answer, Dr. Andrew Hemril
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:08 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Oh yeah, if that doesn't set off your BS detector, you haven't been on the net long enough!

I can ship a motorhome anywhere in the US, to your address, in 5 days, no problem - yeah right! Heck, it took me longer than that to ship my own mustang across the state, and I still had to go pick it up and trailer it home!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:10 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Yea, I know, it's more of a sanity check more than anything else...when I saw it at first I thought, wow....but like folks say, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is....either way, I asked them to answer my original question where it's located, cause I want to come and see it...doubt I'll hear back.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:13 PM   #4
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Fraud. Looks like it was written by someone overseas.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:15 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Fraud. Looks like it was written by someone overseas.
I agree...smells like some Nigerian scam.....
Old 12-07-2007, 03:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Ya think???? Hell-Oooo

Ding, ding, DING!!!! My meter is going off big time!

BTW...is it a motorhome or a car? Hmmm...let me think about it?

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I saw that 280 diesel moho on ebay....though I saw a past sale was from NJ, I sent the seller a message via eBay simply asking where exactly this was located....here is the reponse I got and my crap detector started to go off....

Rightly so, wrongly so? Whadda think?

In retrospect, perhaps this was a fraud and is why the auction closed early.
In case it truly a fraud, which I belive it to be, here is the guys email address, just in case:

"Andrew H" <adwhmr@msn.com>

Hello there,

Thank you for your interest in my 1982 Airstream. I want you to know that I closed my auction earlier because someone offered me the buy it now price, but didn't have all the money available and I cannot accept financing. The price I want to obtain for the RV is $5,000 US (this price includes shipping and insurance charges).
It is like new, completely working, perfect running condition,with no hidden damages or accidents,it has always been garage kept, low miles, non-smoker no flood or storms. It is a US model with US specs and passed the US test emissions. It will be as if purchased locally.The RV is insured in case of damage and you will receive it to your address in 5 working days . It will come with all the necessary papers (clear title, bill of sale, warranty documents, user's manual,insurance etc). The title is clear and you will be able to register the car in your state without any problems.
I am requesting a $2,500 refundable deposit at the beginning of the shipping and the balance to be paid after delivery and inspection. If you are not 100% content with the car you will be able to ship it back on my expense to get your deposit back. I am sure this will not happen, because it is a state of the art vehicle and you will have no reasons not to be content with it.
We will use eBay Motors as third party. First you will pay the down payment to eBay and you will send the receipt proving your payment to eBay. Please note that eBay will hold your deposit of $2,500 until you will confirm that you received the car and you transferred the title into your name.
If you agree with these terms, please send me your full name, home and shipping address, eBay ID so I can register the transaction with eBay asap.

Hi Silvertwinky; What a deal of a century. Perfect clean, garaged and hardly ever on the road motorhome. Who can ressist such deal? I wonder who would be enough of a sucker to give him the deopsit. First he talks about airstream motorhome and then about registering a car. Which one is he selling? Hope no one falls for that one. Thanks "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
...We will use eBay Motors as third party. First you will pay the down payment to eBay and you will send the receipt proving your payment to eBay. Please note that eBay will hold your deposit of $2,500 until you will confirm that you received the car and you transferred the title into your name.

Ignore all those replies above. This are legitimate. I be eBay motors. Please submit you down payment to me immediately - this deal will not last long.
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Well, let's see now about Dr. Andrew Hemril

I typed that into my search engine and got nothing.

I then typed the last name to see what popped up and now I now why the BS meters are pinging

HEMRIL®-30 Suppositories

Fitting, I suppose, since who ever sends him the money is getting it up the, uh, lets just say wallet..

Barry
Old 12-07-2007, 03:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
OMG! That is waaay too funny Barry!!! I'm sure the play on names is intentional!
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:36 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
the scammers are everywhere

Every time I have listed something on Craigslist from household items for sale to renting a room half the responses I receive are these broken English, "if you be so kind to forward x dollar amount I pay rest when I take delivery.." replies. I think they must be email phishing scams.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Thanks for posting this scammers email address.
These ebay postings are fun to beat on
Jeff
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:53 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
The allegations of fraud are, evidently, purely supository. He didn't even ask for your social security # or mother's maiden name. Let us know how you like the motor home.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:50 PM   #14
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
My non-refundable wire is on its way to GreatPumpkin. What was it I bought, again?

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:58 PM   #15
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin
Ignore all those replies above. This are legitimate. I be eBay motors. Please submit you down payment to me immediately - this deal will not last long.
You guys are all too late! I already sent him a cash money order and I'm just waiting for him to deliver my new MH. You'll be sorry for passing up such a great deal.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
If I got this right you this dude never answered your question where the AS was. I had big fun on a similar occassion pushing until I got a location and then telling the dude "Hey what a coincidence my brother lives there. What's the address I'll send him right over with the cash".
Old 12-07-2007, 07:06 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore
My non-refundable wire is on its way to GreatPumpkin. What was it I bought, again?

Pat
It was an
Quote:
RV
Quote:
car
, err..
Quote:
state of the art vehicle
yah yah that's it...
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 09:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
RV, you know RealValue

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 09:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Please don't report me to the mods

Don't knock it. Throw in another $10 and you can get both the Nokia phone and the Rolex.

Some distant countries work on the barter system. You might be able to get the moho if you trade some very valuable rhino poop on ebay (not kidding! $600-743 bid prices right now!!). If the link doesn't work, just use those priceless 2 searchwords. It's a strange world...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:05 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Y'all are all crazy. I bought it because he's kicking in some cash from a large sum he recently received through some banking business. I figured a deal that good - an Airstream MH and some extra holiday cash to boot was too good to pass up. He seemed on the level so I just gave him my bank account number and PIN so he could get it in with no trouble. Oh yeah, and I also gave him my SSN, because, well, he's a nice man, and a doctor, no less! Doctors are so nice and help people every day, so I wanted it to be easy for him, too!
Oh, it's so EXCITING!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote