Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2008, 07:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
A cool story about help when you need it

We've been on this forum since about September and we can't quantify how much help we've gotten from everyone here. From the beginning stages of looking and figuring out which model we wanted to tow vehicle advice, hitch info, and everything else in between everytime that we have a question we usually get the answer here. There are one or two members here who have been particularly helpful and who's advice we have come to depend on. One of those members went above and beyond to help us today. I recently broke a bone in my lower leg which was a bummer in itself and having to miss a trip to Myrtle Beach was a bigger bummer. We had our AS at the dealer for some service to get ready for the Myrtle Beach trip when this happened which was no big deal except I realized with a broken right leg and a big cast I can't drive!! If I couldn't drive I couldn't tow our AS back from the dealer. My wife Donna has yet to try towing and she was nervous to try if I couldn't bail her out. So now what? I was a little nervous about asking family or friends to try it if they had no experience so I was stuck. Then I thought of asking a fellow forum member who lives somewhat local to us to help. Well he and his family took most of their day today to drive to the dealer to meet us, hook up our trailer to our TV, spend alot of time checking our hitch setup, tow our AS back to our home and then make sure everything was put away and ready to go when we're ready. We also got plenty of advise and questions answered from an experienced AS'er. How cool is that?? So if you're on a thread and you see BillTex on it please send him some well deserved karma!!
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Great story with the exception of the broken leg. This has been a great site for me as well, I know some of what you are feeling. Thanks for sharing with us.
BillTex - way to go!!
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
We all love to hear good stories! Way to go Bill Tex!

Hope your leg heals quickly!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi ~ traveling in S Tardis from the Great State of Jefferson
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:35 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It's great to hear about our forums members helping each other. We got lots of help when we really needed it.
So, are you going to walk into your hitch again?
Old 04-06-2008, 08:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Please take care with that broken leg! BillTex rules!!!! Nice of them to help you out!!

I love this forum and the people on it. I have gained so much courage for tackling the various projects associated with my Airstream.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
It's great to hear about our forums members helping each other. We got lots of help when we really needed it.
So, are you going to walk into your hitch again?
I wish it was as glorious as running into the hitch!! I actually slipped and fell in the drive way. I rolled over my ankle and then snap. It's ok cause I'm on the road to recovery.
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
Old 04-06-2008, 05:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Brian

I as well have gained much value from this Forum and many of the members have been extremely helpful with ideas and photos when requested (and sometimes just volunteered - even better).

Rotten thing about the leg. It does raise the point though that having the other family member somewhat comfortable with towing is almost mandatory. My wife, also Donna, has had to assume the driving duties for us. It would have been a sad day for us had she not stepped to the drivers side of the car and just taken over.

Words of caution - if you don't want a cast on other parts of your body, or duct tape over your mouth and eyes, and your hands duct taped to something so they can't be used to point and grab hold of things - then keep your driver coaching and sage advice for another time. And do not, under any circumstances, get out and kiss the ground when you pull into a campground or rest stop. Don't ask me how I know these things...

Now get better so you can get camping.

Barry
Old 04-06-2008, 05:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Very sound advise Barry I'm sure
Donna will definately learn to tow. We haven't
even gone out once yet so as soon as we get out
we'll get to work with "advice free" tow lessons
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
Old 04-06-2008, 08:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Sorry About the leg, Hope it heals quick for ya. I remember when I had a private pilots license(too old now) they had pinch hitter programs were the wife learns also.Many a good ole boys rear has been saved by that program. I am lucker than most I guess ,my wife is a good driver and tows very well.She had towed our flat bed and I am sure she will do fine with the 27ftr.
Please heed above comments, buy several rolls of tape and reserve unconstructive comments. Highschool parking lot or shopping center might be a good place to start. Let her feel the weight and how it stops and turns. Be gentle. She will do fine. Good Luck!
Mike
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote