Old 04-07-2004, 12:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Exclamation A bambi, a boxer, and A BABY!

We're expecting our first child!
aaahhh....
the thoughts of camping (all FOUR of us) in our 19' bambi.
Any tips will be greatly appreciated

Panub and Yocomotion

Old 04-07-2004, 12:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Hmmm...suggestions from Ron

--Go on a diet
--Buy a bigger one
--Stay at home, and camp in the driveway, so the kid can sleep in the house with the dog
--Leave the kid at home
--Leave the kid with Auntie Ron
--Ditch the husband when the A/S is paid off

All kidding aside,
Congratulations!!! How exciting. I'm sure you're very proud...and you'll be a great Mommy....

Old 04-07-2004, 01:09 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin can luv
--Go on a diet
--Buy a bigger one
--Stay at home, and camp in the driveway, so the kid can sleep in the house with the dog
--Leave the kid at home
--Leave the kid with Auntie Ron
--Ditch the husband when the A/S is paid off

All kidding aside,
Congratulations!!! How exciting. I'm sure you're very proud...and you'll be a great Mommy....
ditching the husband is not an option!
Old 04-07-2004, 01:17 PM   #4
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Lightbulb been there, done that

first trip last year was when baby was 2 months old. granted, our trailer is bigger, but not by much. Baby slept on the front gaucho, in his bouncy-chair, which was wedged in place by the pull-out table.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

just sat this lenghwise on the gaucho. should work w/ a dinette, too, if that's what you have.

next year, it'll get more difficult. Jr. will be "1" in a couple of weeks..., too big for one of those bouncers now. not sure what we'll do yet. I'm thinking maybe the pack-n-play on one of the bunks (removing the mattress, first. I measured...there's room. but because of the hight of the walls, it'll be difficult to lift him in and out of it.). either that, or I have to come up with some other clever way to cage him into one of the twin bunks.

can't help ya w/ the dog although, I suspect that they are more "flexible" in this area than a baby.

congrats, and good luck!
Old 04-07-2004, 01:28 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

thanks chuck!

great idea! will put that on our registry/wish list...
we do have a dinette so we'll be able to use your idea/s!!
thanks
Old 04-07-2004, 01:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Congratulations!

Flob bed for the dog - toss it all over - blanket for outside - so he/she does not lie in the dirt and pick up sand fleas - if you are not tieing up your baby I mean doggie then one of those portable exercise pens are great - they fold out to what ever - 8 panels of 2feet. so make a perfect 4X4 or 2 X 6.

Can't help you with the Baby! don't have any and not about to now!! However thinking like a dog owner and protecting many a puppy in my day - why could you not use a small or medium dog crate (new of course) black laquer ones today are a little less "cagey" - with padded bumpers and a small foam mattres - you have instant travel crib and it comes with a lid built right in so they can't fall or climb out. Leave the tray in and you can just slide the little bundle in and out - easier on the back. ...I know it is a little be out there - but your not caging the baby perse - you are protecting it.

We boat with two great big dogs in a Cuddy 1/4 the space a new Bambi offers. And we have to be really careful they don't jump over board - nor bother fellow boaters running around - expandy leads and the exercise pen are great.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Good idea Sharon.. I was just chuckling to myself, we bought a used child carrier that you tow behind a bicycle. We took it all apart and put the dog crate on it so Toby could come with us.. his little legs would not keep up a bike. The first time we had it out.. people wanted to know what we were doing with kids in a dog crate.. had to explain to some.. Toby likes it .. his own personal Airstream.. Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 08:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Congratulations, Panub! A new little Missourian Camping with a baby-sure, you can do it. Why, you've even got an Airstream! Our first trip to Yellowstone was six summers ago with one of our sons, his wife, and their 6 week old baby!! --tent camping! I still cannot believe we did it, but we all had fun (We assume the baby did too), made wonderful memories, and have great pictures to prove we did it. Creative solutions will make it all work out for you in your Bambi with new baby and pooch! Best wishes!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 08:54 PM   #9
Vintage RV

1959 24' Tradewind
Atascadero , California
Send a message via Yahoo to plowboy
Solution: Boxer and husband share the bed in front; baby (in an anti roll ) and mommy in back bed. Just kidding...
We use the Pack and Play in our trailer for our 6 month old. It's a tight fit especially when you try to walk around it. We place the Pack and Play up front. We don't pull out the bed. We have a 24' foot 59 Tradewind. We have 2 American Eskimoes that also travel with us.
I would highly suggest getting one of those anti-roll pads that you place the infant in.

Congrads and have fun camping! Our son and doggies love camping!
Old 04-12-2004, 12:44 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Thank you!

Thanks for all of the nice comments
Old 04-12-2004, 03:10 PM   #11
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Chuck,

We were camping since my baby was around 6 months she is 26 months now.

Last year we used a portable playyard in our 23' Safari. I would set it up each night after converting the front bed. I would put it in front of the door next to mommies bed. It worked fine with just enough room for mom to get in and out of bed.

This year, actually leaving tomorrow , we are going without the playyard! She is going to sleep in the front double with mom and me and the boy will be in our own twin in the back.

I'm glad we finally won't need the playyard becuase setting it up and taking it down everyday gets old real quick. But it was worth it

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
first trip last year was when baby was 2 months old. granted, our trailer is bigger, but not by much. Baby slept on the front gaucho, in his bouncy-chair, which was wedged in place by the pull-out table.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

just sat this lenghwise on the gaucho. should work w/ a dinette, too, if that's what you have.

next year, it'll get more difficult. Jr. will be "1" in a couple of weeks..., too big for one of those bouncers now. not sure what we'll do yet. I'm thinking maybe the pack-n-play on one of the bunks (removing the mattress, first. I measured...there's room. but because of the hight of the walls, it'll be difficult to lift him in and out of it.). either that, or I have to come up with some other clever way to cage him into one of the twin bunks.

can't help ya w/ the dog although, I suspect that they are more "flexible" in this area than a baby.

congrats, and good luck!

Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote