Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2003, 07:45 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
'77 Airstream Argosy Minuet on eBay

I remembered that someone was looking for a Argosy Minuet and this morning one was posted on eBay #2411683403. I looks to be in really good shape. There seems to be a little paint peeling near the front to roof joints. The interior shows that it has been well cared for and recently has had all the seating recovered, new carpet, new miniblinds. The seller states that the awning is less than two years old and that everything works. Starting bid is $2750 and there is a reserve and with no bids as yet, it is hard to tell if the reserve is reasonable.

Anyway, just thought I would pass this along.

david
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 10:59 AM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'm looking for a minuet, but AZ is a little far from home for me to travel. I can't imagine buying a trailer off ebay without looking at it in person first. I wouldn't want to travel to AZ just to find out it wasn't what I was expecting, or worse decide it was and then have to bid high enough to win it. Buying stuff like that off eBay just seems kind of crazy. I've known a couple people who bought classic mustangs off eBay and really got ripped when the car arrived in worse shape than they were expecting.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 01:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Please be EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS when purchasing "ANY" Airstream or Argosy product on ebay.

A customer of ours bought a 1974 31foot center bath trailer for $6000.00, sight unseen, except for the posted photo's.

It was actually worth less than $100.00 (one hundred).

It would have taken about $40,000.00 just to put it back like it was built.

For starters, the previous owner painted the entire interior with white paint applied with a roller brush. The walls were not prepared at all. The paint is peeling off of all the plastic that was covered, namely, all the walls and the entire bathroom including the faucet, as well as the tambour doors.

It also had considerable exterior sheet metal damage, TV antenna chopped off, totally collapsed axles, shredded drapes, etc.

Of course the posted photos on ebay, didn't show any of those things.

This one was paid for by cash. Wrong.

Pay for it only with a credit card, so that you have recourse.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 03:22 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

I was skeptical of ebay for a few years but finally got something on it. A vehicle engine, no less. No idea if it even works. Or how good it works.

But there were a few circumstances which led to my decision. The seller had a business on ebay. It wasn't a one time thing like above (post it, sell it, take the money and run). Secondly, he had a ton of positive reviews. Something like 3 negatives replies out of 500 good ones. I don't think he would risk a few hundred for a negative rating.

So it is a bit scary, and I think if you deal with ebay long enough, you will inevitably get burned, especially with such complex machinery as Airstreams, car engines, and more - there is just no way to check out that stuff, the intangible factors. I for example am not obsessed to say the least with the condition of upholstery or curtains and things like that as long as everything mechanical works. Other people for example might have different priorities and want something super clean and reupholstered.

Seller ratings seem to be the key to the whole ebay concept.
Old 04-18-2003, 03:36 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
I agree, and I'm by no means afraid of using eBay, I myself have over a 1200 rating on there, all positive. But when it comes to buying something complex like a car or trailer, where there's so much that can go wrong, I'd rather see it in person. After all, I got ripped off buying my first mustang, and I did see it in person! What chance would I have long distance :-)

Also, the bidding is crazy sometimes. I recently sold two arcade pinball machines on eBay. One was very popular, and I had about 10 people asking me for more info about it. When it came close to the close of auction, some guy who'd never even emailed me ran the price up to over $3000 (I expected to get about $2200 for it tops). Then one of the people who'd been emailing with me, who really wanted it, got the last bid in with just seconds to go, got it for $3050. Sight unseen, I thought that was pretty crazy. But I guess they felt sure that I was good for it, and they were happy with it when they got it home. I just wouldn't have done that myself, and I don't think the pin was worth that much money. I'll be the next one on there doesn't go for that much.

Old 04-18-2003, 06:26 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
schaumburg , confusion
Send a message via AIM to Tikihut
I have sold 2 popup campers on e-bay the first was a 1966 Starcraft that I put a new canvas on and did a lot of restoring to a couple form International falls bought it from only the pictures I took of it. They emailed me last summer and told me everything is great their kids love it and they are very happy. The second one was a 2000 Coleman which I just sold after I bought my Argosy Minute on e-bay site unseen. The sell was very honest and told me the only thing he knew was wrong was that the furnace did not work. I have not found anything else wrong with it. The Argosy on e-bay looks clean, but I would have liked to seen a picture with its awning out. I have also bought many other things on e-bay for toys to concert tickets and have never been screwed
Chris
Tikihut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 01:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
eBay Minuet

The picture shows damage to the left side.

It also shows the paint peeling off the front galvanized cap. If you look carefully at the rear cap, it looks like most of the paint is gone.

It appears that the axle has seen better days as well.

So much for "good deals" on Airstream products on eBay.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Old 04-19-2003, 06:44 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
You amaze me. I saw the paint peeling off the caps and the damage to the side, but how can you tell the axel is bad?

Old 04-19-2003, 08:10 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
schaumburg , confusion
Send a message via AIM to Tikihut
I look at the pictures and I sure can't tell the axel is bad. How do you know it's seen better days. I looked at pictures of mine which is the same year and they look the same to me. I to have paint mine and I will start getting prices with me doing most of the work
Tikihut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 12:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
I didn't say the axle was bad. I did say "it looked like it had better days."

The wheel well molding is the new style.

With the new style wheel well moldings, and the trailer empty, you should be able to see the tire, almost to the top.

It does not appear to me, to be that way.

This unit has a 2600 pound axle. Therefore it can be overloaded, very easily. We have sold several axles for the 20 foot minuet.

Also the right rear quarter panel has been caved in by bottoming out. No Airconditioner, mold on the top of the exterior moldings.

Inside has been redone, looks nice.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Old 04-20-2003, 11:18 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Firth , Nebraska
Unhappy Argosy-buyer/beware

Hi all,

Well, I'm new to this world of Airstreaming. Just bought my first only about a month and a half ago. Every time I look at some of the other ones out there, I feel better about mine.

Really do have to agree with Andy, mostly about the body damage to both right and left . White paint will hide a world of sins , as far as body damage goes. Sure have looked at a lot of "MINT" cars over the years. Didn't know that A/S' were ever white.

After looking over the pics, I wouldn't call it ' "MINT" inside and out' . To take a phrase from the e-bay ad. Nice uphoulstry and carpet as well as a new counter top. IMHO, I'd think twice and still say no.

Well enough said from a new guy.

Loren
69 Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote