Old 07-16-2004, 09:14 AM   #1
76 25' Tradewind on eBay

Can anyone give me some advise on this coach? I'm only about 30 miles away and going to try and take alook at it today. Anything I should be looking for ?
Old 07-16-2004, 09:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Probably the most important issue is the floor. Take an icepic so you can probe near the door and any hatches for softness in the wood. Be expecially worried if there is rot near the shell as that is harder to repair.

Look for leaks, especially from plumbing vents.

Check the axles to make sure the axle to spindle arm is pointed down and the tires are not up in the wheel wells.

Bounce the rear bumper and make sure the shell bounces with the frame.

Sight along the sides looking for any patterns in the skin that indicate potential problems.

Check the DOT date code on tires and also look for cracks.

Pressurize the water system - make sure there is not water heater bypass so you test it, too.

Look for signs of water leakage from tanks on the underside.

Look for rust on the frame (especially at the front where the A frame goes into the trailer) and on the steps.

other things are easier to fix:

Check all appliances for proper operation.

floor covering, upolstery condition, cabinet and door latches and tambour door condition.

loose rivets?

cracks in front inside shell plastic liner?

Have fun, good hunting!

bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 09:57 AM   #3
Just a member
1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
One thing I spotted is that on the Ebay description he left off the fact that the AC does not work. He mentions this on his photo site. Also on the photo site the background wallpaper looks to be the same coach, but it has an awning. i would ask if the waning is still available, even if it is a carefree it costls less to reinstall than buy a new one. Look for proper repair of the holes in the skin where the awning arms were attached. There will be 2 holes at the least at each end of the awning rail.

Also by the pictures I would bet that the tambour under the kitchen sink is either gone, damaged, or stuck. No shots that show it closed.
Looks like a nice coach, the polish job does look good in the pictures.
Brett G
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 09:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Nice looking trailer - just like my 75----

As far as rot goes, they are famous for leaking in from the rear trunk - also the vista views tend to leak down into the belly, then the water sits there and rots the frame from the bottom up. So take a little hammer or something and tap the bottom and listen for rust pieces in the belly. As far as axles go, I would just budget in the cost of new axles - most of that vintage are toast - even if they look good, may not have much flex in them. Other than that - I think Bryan covered it well above.

1956 Flying Cloud
Founder :
Four Corners Unit
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is online now   Reply With Quote