Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2004, 08:24 AM   #1
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Thumbs up 59toaster ROCKS!

Just a quick note to express how much I have come to appreciate this forum and its membership. On our recent trip to FL we planned to stop in Atlanta and visit with 59toaster. He had won my "FreeBay" auction for my old 454 manifolds off the 345 and we planned an I-75 exit meeting so I could hand over the goods and spend a few minutes chatting about how cool our AS's are.

Well by the time we got to Atlanta we had been having fuel filter problems climbing hills in Tennessee. When we finally made it to Atlanta, 59toaster had already been thinking about my problems and offered to drive me to a parts store to pick up new filters. Not only did he drive me to one, but he drove me to four in order to find the "rare and mysterious" frame rail mounted filter on the P30. Even when I was ready to just replace the two easier to find filters and limp to FL, he would not give up and went to more stores until we found a replacement.

Then he hung around, while I replaced the filters, and chatted with Suzanne and the kids, explaining how fuel filters work and why they go bad, how much work he's put into his 59, all about working on old trucks - generally making them feel better about this whole experience.

Once the new filters were installed, he gave me some directions that allowed us to make good wide right hand turns back to I-75, we shook hands and we were on our way.

The fuel filters did the trick...we made it to FL with no loss of power.

When I told our family in FL about this whole experience they simply could not believe that I was connected to 59toaster only through this forum and that was enough for him to provide so much help to us. I tried to explain that AS owners are...well...all cut from the same block of billet aluminum but they just didn't understand. Experiences like this remind me how much I’ve come to depend on this forum and its members for advice and help and support. I hope I have many opportunities to return the favors.

To 59toaster: Thanks for spending a few hours on a Sunday helping us get our rig back on the road. We all appreciate it!
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 08:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
No Problem. It got me out of mowing the yard!

Nothing stinks worse then having a problem on the road when you have the family to worry about. Glad it worked out and you could enjoy the rest of your trip.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 09:30 AM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Steven,

The forum saves another one!

I carry the proper filters with me. When I change one out I replace it as soon as I get home. They take up a minimal amount of space in my repair parts bin. The issue is that the units are old, with old gas tanks that have rusted. The filters will clog, you just don't know when
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 09:37 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
You are a good samaritan, 59 toaster- kudos to you!! silver suz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 10:49 AM   #5
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Brett - hindsight and all that! I'm buying extras today. Certainly a must have in the "why won't the RV go, rest stop repair bag of tricks"

Also thinking about dropping that tank...yuk
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 12:48 PM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Steven,

I have considered the tank drop, but I would much rather spend money on filters. Some have done it and I hear it is not a fun task

59Toaster, Thanks for keeping the rep alive! We have to stick together, we are outnumbered by the white boxes!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote