Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2003, 09:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Thumbs up 5-year search ends. Bought my first Airstream!

Hi,

I thought I would introduce myself, also. I’m a 38 year old male from central PA. I picked “Silver” for my screen name since it matches my hair too.

I have been searching for an Airstream for about 5-years now. It may sound like a cliché, but I have admired and wanted an Airstream since I was a child. I am also a fan of all “classic” travel trailers and “classic” mobile homes. Spartan Travel Trailers are also one of my favorites, but I wanted something I can tow—realistically. I have never lived in a mobile home before and I’m not sure what my fascination is with them—It must be the “wheels.” LOL

I have already toured the AS factory two years ago, went to the Camping Museum, in Indiana, and scrutinized every single Airstream that has crossed the block on eBay in the past five years.

I always thought I wanted a “classic” AS, 25ft or less, but in the end, I purchased a 1999 27ft Safari. It’s funny how things turn out sometimes.

I ended up buying mine—on eBay, sight unseen, and I won’t be picking it up for several weeks. I don’t even know if I got a good deal or not…. I paid $18,000 for it. Some of you may have seen it on eBay last week, do you think I did ok?

Here's a link to the auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6727

I have been reading this site non-stop all week and I think it is a great place. I look forward to being a part of it for many years to come. I have NEVER even owned a “camper” before, or even camped in one, so I’m sure I’ll have many, many questions.

I’ll let you know when I finally pick it up and get it home. It’s about 1200 miles away!

Silver
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 09:18 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
schaumburg , confusion
Send a message via AIM to Tikihut
Talking

Have fun I know you will enjoy it.
Chris
Tikihut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 09:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Congratulations Silver. Keep us informed on your discoveries and adventures.

The only problem with your 1999 is that you will now have to wait 25 years to Restore it.

Best Regards;
-BobbyW

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 07:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Congradulations!

Welcome to the forums.

Well you should plan a few extra day's and camp your way home. It sounds ready to go. There is plenty of nice places to camp up the gulf coast. Spend some time enjoying the sun.

The price sounds reasonable. You should be able to get a great interest rate and the way you can finace them I don't think you went wrong. Our "Vintage" Caravanner is going to cost us Thousands before we will have a chance to enjoy it the first time. With what we have to put into ours in the next couple of years your actually going to spend less in the same time period with the finacing available LOL.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 07:51 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Golden Valley , Minnesota
You have bought a very nice Airstream at what appears to be a fair price. Im sure you will love it. There are advantages to buying a newer unit, the best one I think is to be able to enjoy it NOW instead of working on it to get it road worthy. Let us know how it turns out.

Have FUN!

Charles

1979 Avion Model M 28'
2005 Ford F-150
1962 Land Yacht Safari 22'--sold
1999 Yukon Denali Silver--sold
ColtSAA45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 08:15 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Wink Bought 1999 Airstream

Couldn't see the inside pix but the out side looks superb. The price is excellent. New 28 footers $58000. Big difference. Check tire pressures before leaving. Tom
Old 04-27-2003, 09:27 PM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Silver,
Check out the Safari forums. You will find some good tips for your new trailer. Specifically the 2001 Safari forum addresses some things that apply to your 1999 unit.

Congratulations on your purchase!

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 08:09 AM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Looks like a beauty. Nice catch. Keep us posted on your adventures.

I too remember seeing the Airstreams on the road as a kid. It's kind of surreal to have it in the driveway. I am still getting used to it.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 04:35 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for all the encouraging words!

I wanted it so badly I used “buy-it-now.” I was afraid I might lose the auction if I didn’t jump on it, so I wasn’t sure if I overpaid or not.

“One” of the reasons that made me pick this particular AS, is because it has the DARK GREEN carpet (and curtains), instead of the lighter colored carpets I see in most other newer Airstreams. I figured it wouldn’t show the dirt as much.

I can’t wait to go get it and have my-very-own-Airstream to drool over.

Jack, I checked out the Safari boards. Thanks for the recommendation. Yours looks like mine—on the outside anyway.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 05:35 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

5 years ! some dedication.

Anyway, sounds like a good deal!