Old 05-23-2015, 05:37 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Here's more information by State. Some of these numbers are different than what I posted earlier.

Trailer Dimensions | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws

Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:21 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I'm in the chat room for a bit now. We have storms in the area, so I'll probably pull the plugs in a half an hour or so.

Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
Old 05-25-2015, 10:38 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Never heard of any issues with length when towing TT's
Old 05-25-2015, 11:40 AM   #32

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
One thought I would have about towing a 34' trailer is space considerations at some fuel stops. Many of these stations have pumps which are perpendicular to the building. To make it worse some of those buildings have parking in front. Pulling into or away from pumps can leave you some challenges for long trailers.

The other thing is dips when you pull off the road. That space behind the rear most axle is long and I've come very close with my 30" Classic to or have barely drug the tail of the trailer pulling into parking lots, gas stations, food stops that have a higher grade than the road. Same goes when going the opposite direction.

I remember one campground in Estes Park that had a downhill campground road. When I got to the bottom to the flat highway, I remember my 30' SOB trailer getting hung on the campground road. The rearmost axle wheels on the trailer were barely on the ground. I'm glad it was gravel and that I was going very slow. Nothing was damaged and I'm glad those drag bars were on my SOB.

With a 34' Airstream you really need to look out for those little things.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 02:54 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Thanks, Jack. I'm not too worried about gas stations since my practice is to set up and then go back for fuel and whatever else we need to buy. Not much I can do about campgrounds, though, since that's where we're going. Sounds like we ought to consider skids/wheels at the rear just in case.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
Old 05-25-2015, 03:15 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Actually, the overhang (distance from the rear axle to the end of the trailer) is shorter on a 34' than it is on a 31', but only by a few inches. I had both at the same time a while back and I measured it.

This is not to say it is not a concern, what I'm saying is it is no more of a concern on a 34' than it is on a 30' or 31'.

They all actually do have skids on the back of the frame for this reason. However, if you go thru a dip that causes the skids to hit the ground too hard, it will dent the body in the rear above the frame on the side that hits.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:04 PM   #35
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
Thanks, Jack. I'm not too worried about gas stations since my practice is to set up and then go back for fuel and whatever else we need to buy. Not much I can do about campgrounds, though, since that's where we're going. Sounds like we ought to consider skids/wheels at the rear just in case.

See those threads where Andy/Inland RV discusses why skids versus wheels on Airstream. Mine has wheels but I wouldn't have them on an A/S.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:25 PM   #36

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Yep, I wouldn't have wheels either. Airstream construction really won't support that kind of load. Steve, thanks for the update on the length behind the rear wheels. I always thought a 34' unit had a little more overhang. I take it very gently if I see that we could have a potential drag situation. I think its only happened to me twice with my 30'er and in both cases I was moving so slowly (because I knew it was coming) that I barely touched the skid.

I do size up these situations ahead and pretty much avoid any pull outs where this may happen. Unfortunately we tend to travel distances that require getting fuel in route. You never know what you will find pulling off an Interstate. I have however gotten off only to find a station with poor access or potential pump access or egress issues and have gotten right back on the highway and took the next gas stop.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:17 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
"I have however gotten off only to find a station with poor access or potential pump access or egress issues and have gotten right back on the highway and took the next gas stop." That's one of the reasons why I refuel at the end of the day. With this MH and toad I'm careful about where I go. If I can't find a decent station before we get to the campground I'll just forego the fill and fuel up in the morning at the next place.

Today we did it slightly differently. We got to the campground before we got to the town, so we left the Jeep at the campground and took just the MH in for fuel. Tomorrow night we'll be in North Platte, so there will be plenty of places to fuel up before we get to the campground.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
Old 05-27-2015, 09:06 PM   #38
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Sounds like a plan, kb0zke!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:09 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
And then today I couldn't get into either gas station, so we'll have to wait until we get to Riverton tomorrow for fuel. Fortunately I still have about 80 gallons of useable diesel left and less than 250 miles to go. Just means that tomorrow's fuel stop will be really expensive.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
Old 05-28-2015, 08:16 PM   #40
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I'd throw in on the fuel if I was up there where you are. And was on the road in my rig.

Don't you just use the truck fuel island at truck stops? That's the way I fill my truck solo or towing. I pull out of the way entirely when solo once fueled and park. Or just pull forward to the line if towing. Get my receipt and head out. Or find a parking place on the truck lot and head back indoors for whatever else. So long as one doesn't use the fuel island lanes for shopping or eating, it's fast enough.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:36 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
We generally prefer truck stops, especially now that we have the toad. Unfortunately, we're in Guernsey, WY and there are only two places to buy fuel here. Neither one will accommodate our 57' length, and it isn't all that far to Riverton tomorrow, so I'll just fill there.

When we get the Airstream I'll park it at the campsite and go back into town to get fuel for the truck. If we would have a really long travel day I'll just have to find a truck stop on the highway.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
Old 05-28-2015, 09:18 PM   #42
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
34' or ???

FWIW, I use the four hour or midday safety break of one hour off the road to fill the fuel tank. How much I've used is irrelevant. So, too, how much I buy. I run through a routine while the tank is filling of glass, tires, leaks, hitch, lights, etc.

I'd sure rather not once at the campground. At departure, yes, I have to check pressures, check lug nut torque, etc. but that's at departure, not arrival.

There is no such thing as too much fuel is the thinking. I've been in highway shutdowns where there is no retreat or alternative and had to idle the engine the next eleven hours due to temperatures.

So daily fill or top off keeps that at bay.

Even if I don't want lunch at a truck stop (I'm not immune), I've usually as a result of trip planning either chosen some roadfood legend down the road, or a park or rest area for a meal aboard. I've used my fuel card points more than once to get a long hot shower, even though I had an RV with me. Save my water, and indulge in an excess of water, relatively.

The rhythm of a fifteen minute break at two hours and then a one hour break at the four hour mark works well for feeling rested. A safety rule, as mentioned. Buying fuel and then setting about lunch with maybe a local newspaper makes a great way to break the highway miles apart.

I can't recall what truck you'd choose for towing, but with a Cummins of the appropriate year (and a towing fuel cost of 15-16 cpm at the present $2.50/gl price) and a 56-gl tank, a good range is possible. With a 20% reserve -- on the flats and on the Interstate -- the range is up to 700-miles when towing.

That reserve represents 11-gls. At a 1.15/hr consumption rate (high, it's probably .8/gl-hr) it's an easy 6+ hrs of idle time with some left over if necessary.

Not hard to trip plan when that is the case.