Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2003, 04:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
3 musings (refrig, brake controller, emergency supplies)

I didn't feel like putting these in separate messages so I thought I would combine them.

I. Before our last trip (Red Rock Canyon, CA) I fired up the refrigerator (electric) to cool it down a day or two before. When I pulled it out on the street about 1 hour before leaving, the fridge was not running (gas). So I go watch the flame. Flame looks fine but the spark unit is constantly sparking. Shouldn't do that after it is lit. I see the thermocouple in the flame and am thinking that it is not working. So I feel the conduit part of the thermocouple about two inches behind the flame. OUCH! Pretty hot there. I feel the conduit where it attaches. Not too hot there. I look and see the conduit is touching part of another assembly before it gets to the attached part. I don't think it should do that. So I gently and carefully bend the conduit so it is not touching. The sparking stops. All parts of the conduit is hot. I feel very smug having figured that out.

II. This trip was the first with my new Tekonsha Prodigy. Previous was a Reese Brakemaster. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! I no longer feel like I won't be able to stop and I feel that I am not taxing my tow vehicle like I was. Highly recommended.

III. With the powers that be, suggesting that people have a X number of days supply of water on hand. I thought, why not keep the Airstream filled? We could last a few days in there if we needed to. We have a very good resource of emergency supplies parked next to our driveway.

Oh well, just some thoughts.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 08:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
On board water

An Airstream trailer fresh water tank should always be kept "full."

As pointed out, it's a great source of water in an emergency.
But, when traveling, a full water tank "lowers the center of gravity" of the trailer, therefore making it more stable when in motion.

Secondly, it's a great place to get water should a radiator hose decide to go south. With some duct tape and a source of water, you can tow your trailer many miles until you can replace that hose.

The fuel cost to carry that water is minimal compared to it's benefits.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 11:23 AM   #3

Good point about stability.

We always thought that the added weight would stress the tank supports on the road.
We always carried a minimal amount of water, enough for whatever numbers of nights we will have to dry camp before being able to refill.
femuse is offline   Reply With Quote