Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2019, 08:42 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2016 27' International
2021 30' Globetrotter
Nashville , TN
28' or 30' International?

Hello friends,

My question is if we are spending 6 months of the year in the AS and would like the L shape layout of the sofas in the 28' or 30' is there much difference in the towing, backing up, getting into parks etc between the two? I ask because neither of us were very good at backing even after a year and 35k miles in our 27'. We are in our 50's and 60's and have some physical limitations. We also don't want any less space therefore not going any smaller.

We will likely purchase a Nissan NV this time around to share with our business. Our '16 Ram 2500 was not a practical vehicle for us living in downtown Nashville.

Thoughts on 28' vs the 30' much difference in towing, backing and parks?

Many thanks!!
ewor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
I'm not really sure what the question is. Are you wanting us to say whether you will be able to do something?

No, I didn't have any problems between towing my 27 ft trailer or my 30ft trailer. The dents can be repaired. But then again I don't live in Nashville, drive dodges or Nissans. I'm pretty sure the interior layout has nothing to do with ability to back, or tow the trailer.

Unfortunately if you sucked at backing with the 27 the same result with the 30ft will likely be encountered.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:33 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
2021 30' Globetrotter
Nashville , TN
I guess I wasn't very good at framing my question. I was trying to give background, maybe too much. I'm asking if it is more difficult to tow, backup, etc the larger the AS? Will there be a noticeable difference between a 28 or 30'?
Old 10-31-2019, 08:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Personally, I think the longer trailer will be easier to back as the axles are further back. The geometry is such that angles change slowly and are more easily correctable.

My 31’ is easy. My 16’ boat trailer is a PITA at the beginning of the season...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
My comment is this: if you have never mastered backing up, then seriously... spend a little money at a truck driving school that also offers training for RV and trailer drivers. In addition to a couple of classes, spend a whole day or more practicing in a big empty parking lot. The benefit of formal lessons is that your instructor is used to Teaching! There are many well meaning people who can backup but cannot teach. They will yell, "turn right... no the other right" without ever thinking to explain that the goal is to put the back end of the truck in a gentle right turn.... grrh! And the flapping meaningless hand gestures! Gestures need to be explained and agreed upon between the parties giving and getting them. And the gesturer needs to remember that if she/he cannot see the driver's eyes in the rear view mirror, then the driver cannot see the guide.

Lessons. Cheaper than a panel replacement!
Old 11-01-2019, 07:57 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
2021 30' Globetrotter
Nashville , TN
I'm relieved to hear that! I'd rather have a longer trailer. Thanks so much.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:01 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
2021 30' Globetrotter
Nashville , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
My comment is this: if you have never mastered backing up, then seriously... spend a little money at a truck driving school that also offers training for RV and trailer drivers. In addition to a couple of classes, spend a whole day or more practicing in a big empty parking lot. The benefit of formal lessons is that your instructor is used to Teaching! There are many well meaning people who can backup but cannot teach. They will yell, "turn right... no the other right" without ever thinking to explain that the goal is to put the back end of the truck in a gentle right turn.... grrh! And the flapping meaningless hand gestures! Gestures need to be explained and agreed upon between the parties giving and getting them. And the gesturer needs to remember that if she/he cannot see the driver's eyes in the rear view mirror, then the driver cannot see the guide.

Lessons. Cheaper than a panel replacement!
That is a great suggestion! We were supposed to have training when we bought our first AS. As it turned out the trainer ran out of time and we had a "mini training" that lasted about 15 minutes as he dropped off the trailer. It was panic inducing to say the least! We had the help of many kind fellow streamers along the way, but it may have confused us in the long run. You're right, a class is in order this time. Thank you very much for the suggestion.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I have a 28'AS. So we really like the layout of the lounge vs. the 27'. I pull the 28' AS with a F150 3.5 liter Ecoboost 10 speed with a pro pride hitch just fine. I did also make some modifications to the suspension system by adding a roadmaster kit that made the rear suspension more stable (cost about $600). I think I could pull a 30' with it. The extra towing weight is well within the limits of my truck. The biggest issue is the payload as you are well aware of I'm sure.

The one issue with the 30' will be getting in and out of gas stations and maybe parking in some really tight campgrounds. We did have one instance were it was really hard with our 28'. But we got it done.

Also you will have more surface to catch wind, which could affect sway. That's why I would consider your hitch system carefully. You were pulling with an 3/4 ton pickup which gives you a bit more stability. You still had some sway, but you just probably didn't notice it much. You will notice it more on a lighter TV. That's why I went with the Propride hitch.

By the way I was having a hard time backing up and then my brother who has worked on farms for many years and drove trucks when he was younger said for him the key was simply always "turn toward the error." So if your trailer is going left (not where you want it to go), then turn left. That thinking has made all the difference for me. And now backing up is much much easier. What ever direction I don't want the trailer to go I turn that direction. I didn't like the hand at the bottom of the steering wheel method because for me it was awkward.

I agree above that backing up a 28' or a 30' isn't going to be much different. The biggest issue is learning to back up.

Before we bought our trailer the sales guy said if you are going to be spending months in your AS then you want a 30'. If you are going not be spending weeks then a 28' is fine. And that is largely because of the extra storage and a little bit more room to maneuver.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:15 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
I think the training idea is very good. FWIW I’ll offer a few observations/tips:
1. My wife and I use walkie talkies to communicate and have pre agreed understanding of terminology before backing up.
2. I find that it’s really helpful if I can see the rear of the trailer as I’m backing up. That’s not always possible, however, but having a visual on the issue is a big help.
3. I doubt you’ll see much if any difference moving to a 28 or 30 in terms of towing & backing up.
4. I did a quick search on the Nissan NV and saw a max trailer towing load of 6200 lbs. maybe there is an option for increased capacity that I didn’t see. Please check all your numbers (towing, payload, etc) before marrying up a new trailer and TV.

By the way we just moved up from a 23D to a 28 RBT Flying Cloud and love it.

Good luck to you.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
NV tow rating

The Nissan NV3500 van has a tow rating just under 9000 LBS. It has just under 400 HP 5.6 V8 engine and is plenty capable to tow a 30' AS. When searching for a tow vehicle a couple of years ago I did extensive research on all the available vans. The Nissan is a horse. Weighs over 6000 LBS empty so no tag waging the dog will happen.

We purchased 2013 Ford E150 XLT Premium van to tow our 23' AS and now tows our 25" AS. It is properly equipped to do so. Vans are really great tow vehicles.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:26 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
The Nissan NV3500 van has a tow rating just under 9000 LBS. It has just under 400 HP 5.6 V8 engine and is plenty capable to tow a 30' AS. When searching for a tow vehicle a couple of years ago I did extensive research on all the available vans. The Nissan is a horse. Weighs over 6000 LBS empty so no tag waging the dog will happen.

We purchased 2013 Ford E150 XLT Premium van to tow our 23' AS and now tows our 25" AS. It is properly equipped to do so. Vans are really great tow vehicles.
Thanks. That’s good to know. A van is a good TV option for folks who don’t plan on carrying noxious equipment like gas generators.
A friend of mine restored a ‘59 Chevy milk truck and uses it as a TV. Beautiful job, by the way.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:00 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
2021 30' Globetrotter
Nashville , TN
I have also looked at the Ford Transits, and the do have the Ecoboost, but they don't have quite the tow capacity. I think the Nissan is the safer bet. We went and took a look and it is quite comfortable and will suit our dogs well. It will be a great vehicle for my husbands business in its "off" time.
Old 11-03-2019, 03:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I say go for the 30 footer. When backing up I always ask my wife to yell BEFORE I hit something.....

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:13 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
2021 30' Globetrotter
Nashville , TN
Old 11-05-2019, 06:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewor View Post
Hello friends,

My question is if we are spending 6 months of the year in the AS and would like the L shape layout of the sofas in the 28' or 30' is there much difference in the towing, backing up, getting into parks etc between the two? I ask because neither of us were very good at backing even after a year and 35k miles in our 27'. We are in our 50's and 60's and have some physical limitations. We also don't want any less space therefore not going any smaller.

We will likely purchase a Nissan NV this time around to share with our business. Our '16 Ram 2500 was not a practical vehicle for us living in downtown Nashville.

Thoughts on 28' vs the 30' much difference in towing, backing and parks?

Many thanks!!
Couple of suggestions here: we have had 3 25's, different configurations, and now a 28' FC model for 2.6 years...I would not spend money on an International...if your really looking at a 30, get the Classic or don't get one! The 28' FC is great over the International model because you have easier access to the cupboards, plus you get 2 extra cupboards above the dinning area; International does not have....plus the cupboard access in FC is much more accessable without the sliding doors...don't wast your money. The 30 Classic is much more comfortable then anything else out there! Just sit in the couch and you will see my point! Also, which ever you decide, get the twin model....more outside storage and more sleeping area for each of you, plus more area to change in the middle...just sit in one and look down the middle...Good Luck!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:58 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
2021 30' Globetrotter
Nashville , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Couple of suggestions here: we have had 3 25's, different configurations, and now a 28' FC model for 2.6 years...I would not spend money on an International...if your really looking at a 30, get the Classic or don't get one! The 28' FC is great over the International model because you have easier access to the cupboards, plus you get 2 extra cupboards above the dinning area; International does not have....plus the cupboard access in FC is much more accessable without the sliding doors...don't wast your money. The 30 Classic is much more comfortable then anything else out there! Just sit in the couch and you will see my point! Also, which ever you decide, get the twin model....more outside storage and more sleeping area for each of you, plus more area to change in the middle...just sit in one and look down the middle...Good Luck!
Thank you so much for your suggestions. We will definitely take into consideration when looking.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:31 AM   #17
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
The RB twin in either the 28' or 30' have the panorama windows at both ends, whereas the queen in the does not have the panorama in the bedroom. The panorama windows are wonderful in providing more of an open feeling in the trailer and great views out the rear of the coach from the sitting area.

Don't be fooled by FC owners who don't realize that the Internationals have larger capacity overhead cabinets and the sliding doors allow access without the risk of shifted contents falling on the floor or hitting your head on the open swing up door.

The choice of interior finish is a personal preference. It is too bad when others denigrate the choice made by thousands of happy International owners.

If you can afford an Airstream then you can afford the decor that pleases you the most - especially as you are the one who will be living in that small space.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:52 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
2021 30' Globetrotter
Nashville , TN
[QUOTE=Adventure.AS;2305384]The RB twin in either the 28' or 30' have the panorama windows at both ends, whereas the queen in the does not have the panorama in the bedroom. The panorama windows are wonderful in providing more of an open feeling in the trailer and great views out the rear of the coach from the sitting area.

The choice of interior finish is a personal preference. It is too bad when others denigrate the choice made by thousands of happy International owners.

After having the 27 FBQ we think the twin is the way to go this time. Much more room for the dogs!
We had an International Sterling, so I think our taste is along the International or Serenity line. Like my father-in-law said "that's why there is chocolate, vanilla and strawberry".
Old 11-07-2019, 07:01 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
The RB twin in either the 28' or 30' have the panorama windows at both ends, whereas the queen in the does not have the panorama in the bedroom. The panorama windows are wonderful in providing more of an open feeling in the trailer and great views out the rear of the coach from the sitting area.

Don't be fooled by FC owners who don't realize that the Internationals have larger capacity overhead cabinets and the sliding doors allow access without the risk of shifted contents falling on the floor or hitting your head on the open swing up door.

If you can afford an Airstream then you can afford the decor that pleases you the most - especially as you are the one who will be living in that small space.
Not meaning to denigrate anyone; don't be so sensitive...everyone has a preference, right?...To us, the larger cabinets in the International are indeed a couple inches deeper but we believe the sliding doors are an obstacle to getting items in/out; the access in the lift covers of the FC and also in the new Globtrotter models, offers much easier access; never had a problem with anything "falling out" during travel...4 Airstreams with this type cupboards over 13 years.... Also, as ; I mentioned, the FC model in the 28' has 2 more cabinets above the dinette the International does not have...storage is everything in these.

If your going to spend more money for décor and want/need more storage, look at the 30 Classic! That couch, the extra storage, kitchen, and finish is awesome....
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:00 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
This is where folks will have to agree to disagree [emoji56]

For some the International offers the absolute best options for others it’s the Flying Cloud and for other Globetrotter or Classic.

No wrong choice - you just need to figure out what’s best for you. When someone says this is bad or great - it’s for them.

And for us it was the International layouts and decor. [emoji3]
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote