Old 11-07-2019, 10:07 AM   #21
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Not meaning to denigrate anyone; don't be so sensitive...everyone has a preference, right?...To us, the larger cabinets in the International are indeed a couple inches deeper but we believe the sliding doors are an obstacle to getting items in/out; the access in the lift covers of the FC and also in the new Globtrotter models, offers much easier access; never had a problem with anything "falling out" during travel...4 Airstreams with this type cupboards over 13 years.... Also, as ; I mentioned, the FC model in the 28' has 2 more cabinets above the dinette the International does not have...storage is everything in these.

If your going to spend more money for décor and want/need more storage, look at the 30 Classic! That couch, the extra storage, kitchen, and finish is awesome....
It isn't a question of being sensitive - I must object when an owner of any other AS model says that thousands of people have "wasted money" by purchasing the International trim level which they wanted. As you have acknowledged it is personal preference; however there are also benefits to be gained from upgrading to an International model.

Storage is not 'everything' in an Airstream. I prefer to have the additional light from the Vistaview windows over extra overhead lockers. IMHO the lockers, while good for storage, if needed, make the space darker and not as open feeling as the International with more light.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:18 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Pick the decor you like. Other than the obvious length difference, the biggest difference is which side you want the dinette/windows on. We like our 28 with the big windows campsite.

brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:56 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDNC View Post
This is where folks will have to agree to disagree

For some the International offers the absolute best options for others it’s the Flying Cloud and for other Globetrotter or Classic.

No wrong choice - you just need to figure out what’s best for you. When someone says this is bad or great - it’s for them.

And for us it was the International layouts and decor.
yea, your right...likely will upgrade to something else after a few years anyway, right?
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:27 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
nashville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
Pick the decor you like. Other than the obvious length difference, the biggest difference is which side you want the dinette/windows on. We like our 28 with the big windows campsite.
Thank you for that. I can't believe that I thought I had researched and figured it all out before we bought our first AS, a 27' International Sterling, but you just told me something that I had never realized before. It never occurred to me to think about which side the dinette windows would be on! That makes great sense. I can see why it would be better (for us) to have them on the campsite side. (to watch the dogs, of course!) I will now pay attention to that in the floor plans. Thank you!
ewor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:46 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewor View Post
Thank you for that. I can't believe that I thought I had researched and figured it all out before we bought our first AS, a 27' International Sterling, but you just told me something that I had never realized before. It never occurred to me to think about which side the dinette windows would be on! That makes great sense. I can see why it would be better (for us) to have them on the campsite side. (to watch the dogs, of course!) I will now pay attention to that in the floor plans. Thank you!
We are finishing up the 2nd season with our 2018 Serenity 28 RBQ. One more weekend trip before thanksgiving and we will be at 108 nights total. Would pick the 28 again. For us it is the best layout. Would prefer the rear pano windows, but not a fan of twin beds.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:38 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
nashville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
One more weekend trip before thanksgiving.
Happy travels!
ewor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:31 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Backing up with Ford’s computerized backup assist on the F150, new F250, and Excursions is a completely different experience and worry-free. You just twist a knob in the cab and the back goes where you tell it. The computer works out all the geometry.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:00 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
I used to have a Safari 28W and now I have a Flying Cloud 30, which is 31 feet long. The difference in backing and parking is insignificant. The floor plan is reversed and we really prefer the 30 layout with the dinette on the road side. The 30 is noticeably heavier, and I towed both with my GMC 2500 Duramax. Remember that the tow rating of a vehicle is reduced by the payload carried. I towed my 28 with a Hensley and my 30 with a Propride (which I prefer). Remember that the GCVR is very important for estimating the load on the TV. My GMC is rated at 24,000 and the 1500 about 14,000. The 2500 has much bigger brakes. The tires are load range E with a max inflation of 80 psi, which produces a much stiffer sidewall. You have to decide how much stress you want to put on a TV. Your Ram would be happy pulling the Flying Cloud 30. I think the 8,800 gross weight maximum of the Flying Cloud 30 is pushing a 1/2 ton truck.
2012 GMC Denali HD Duramax
Pro Pride hitch
rp709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:57 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
30 ft international

I have owned my 30 for 3 seasons. Love it. Never had a problem with over head cabinets as nothing falls out. The short wife uses a step stool. Problem solved.
We will also be converting half our large hall closet in to a pantry.
We have a queen RB and would probably get the twins had we to do it over again.
Great layout with a separate dining area and lounge area. No putting a table up and down.
Wife wishes we had kept the oven instead of micro-convection. But that seemed like a good idea at the time.
On the plus side we picked up extra drawers.
Another 3 perks to having the twin beds 1) trailer looks longer/more spacious
2) If you want to do a guy trip you can share the bedroom w/o sleeping in the same bed.
3) easy in and out of bed with center wide open. Also good if you travel with dogs.
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
Backing up with Ford’s computerized backup assist on the F150, new F250, and Excursions is a completely different experience and worry-free. You just twist a knob in the cab and the back goes where you tell it. The computer works out all the geometry.
There is no knob in the F250.
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
Remember the International 30 is missing the entire overhead cabinet above the dinette that is present in the Flying Cloud. The wrap around windows in the rear bedroom make it harder to keep it dark for sleeping.
2012 GMC Denali HD Duramax
Pro Pride hitch
rp709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:33 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp709 View Post
Remember the International 30 is missing the entire overhead cabinet above the dinette that is present in the Flying Cloud. The wrap around windows in the rear bedroom make it harder to keep it dark for sleeping.
We prefer the “no cabinet” above the dinette. Opens up the area, and you get two extra small windows above the big side windows. Personal preference.
Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp709 View Post
True about the cabinets. But they are larger in the international and are better for storage.
Never has a problem sleeping due to light infiltration from the wrap arounds.
Do wish however that the shades did a better job of blocking light on the side windows. May have to install silver bubble wrap as a light blocker.

Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote