Old 01-16-2019, 09:46 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Victor , New York
27FB or 28RB

We are looking at purchasing our first Airstream and like both the 27fb and the 28rb, which are the same size but different layout. We are a retired couple looking to use it on weekends in the summer in NY and 2 months (Mar-Apr)in the South, maybe So. Carolina. Also, my wife likes the Serenity series. Is it worth the difference in price( about 10,000).
Thanks

realejourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:56 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by realejourney View Post
We are looking at purchasing our first Airstream and like both the 27fb and the 28rb, which are the same size but different layout. We are a retired couple looking to use it on weekends in the summer in NY and 2 months (Mar-Apr)in the South, maybe So. Carolina. Also, my wife likes the Serenity series. Is it worth the difference in price( about 10,000).

Thanks

We’ve had both. First the 28 then the 27. We think the 27’ is the best. Panoramic windows front and back. Also we have found the best view is usually at the rear of the trailer, after we back in to our spot. We have a Flying Cloud, not sure about the Serenity Series.

Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I have a 25' RBR, basically the same plan as the 27'. If I had to do over again I'd purchase the 28' mainly because the dinette is separate from the lounging area, just more space to spread out.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:08 AM   #4
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
We chose a rear bedroom. There are several advantages:
1. The entry door is more easily accessible - especially on sites where you have to back all the way.
2. Quieter as the bedroom is away from the road.
3. Most campsites that I have been to have an equal view front or rear. We have panorama windows in the rear of the 25' so if the view to the rear is fabulous we can enjoy it in bed with a coffee in the morning. (The 28' RB doesn't have the pano windows.)
4. The lavatory has more room in the RB and a window for light.
5. The lounge is shorter (giving you the space elsewhere.) We wouldn't use the extra long lounge.

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Thanks
I've lived in a Classic for a few years now and my thoughts:

1. Only ever buy an Airstream with front AND rear panoramic windows. Large window views are key to enjoying a small space.

2. I love my 30 Classic, but if I could choose an ideal layout, I would simple reverse the floor-plan. Have the living area in the back and the bedroom up front. Almost all back-up campsites have the best views at the back. With the living area up front, 99% of the time you are looking at your tow vehicle, other peoples tow vehicles and RV's, road traffic and people walking by. I guess if you are more of a "social" camper, that could be good.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:48 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
We have owned our 27FB for almost ten years. We have no plans to get anything different but there are some things about the RB that we like. The couch area is much more usable. Watching TV in our unit isn't that comfortable. Also, the space on the FB next to the TV is wasted for us. It's just me and the wife so this space doesn't get used. The dinette seems to be a more appealing option. We do not have the Pano windows on the front and occasionally I wish we had them but often times Im happy for the extra storage.
We stepped into a 26U a couple of years ago. We both really liked the layout and thought it would be more functional for us so that might be worth looking in to. (just want to make your decision more complicated!)
Whatever way you go Im sure you will be happy.
Cheers,
Old 01-19-2019, 02:51 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
We have a 28 RBT. Others have mentioned no pano windows in 28. You do have them in the twin setup. As far as front bed best as views out the back, 50/50 on that one. First off we spend most time outside so no biggie. When I'm inside its dark outside so again, no biggie on views. We like rear bed as when backed up to a stream, etc and sleeping with windows open its nice to get that breeze. Like the door closer to tow vehicle. Like bed far from road and noise of road. Like storage access better as front bed models has the storage partially blocked by propane. I replaced couch on our 28 and have two recliners with a tray that pops up between. 28 still allows me to have a dinette area when we do end up eating inside with others. It's the individuals ultimate decision, but we have been extremely happy with the two rear beds we have had.

Chuck
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Along the lines of what silver labs was saying, it may depend on if you are getting the twin or queen bed set up.

We have the 25 rear bed with twins. We love the set up for the many reasons listed by silver labs, in that our beds are looking over the lake or stream when we back into a campsite. If we had a queen instead, then our bed would be looking over the side of the neighbors camper. We often have the side shades closed for privacy, and the back wraparound blinds open for the view. So I do think where you head will be is important.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:20 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Quote:
Thanks
We went through the same dilemma, and purchased a 28 Serenity RBQ last April. Super happy with our decision. We probably would have liked the 27, too - hard not to like any Airstream! We like the separate dinette, full width couch, door at the front, and full access to the exterior storage compartment at the rear (storage is at the front on a 27, and blocked by the propane tanks). We prefer the colors and other upgrades of the International Serenity series. Our Airstream has been perfect so far, with 45 nights spent in it. We did get the dual A/C 50 amp service, roadside awning and convection/microwave. Passed on the solar and power awning (power awning is now standard).
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:29 PM   #10
RVATOR

2018 28' International
Dallas , Texas
Not sure you can go wrong either way. RB has slightly more tongue weight and like another poster mentioned 50/50 on site views. We have a 28’ RBT Signature. We choose less than 30’ floor plan for site restrictions in some state parks. We removed the dinette and added washer dryer and built in a desk. Never a right answer. Good luck and happy hunting!
RV-7 (N23KT) VANSAIRFORCE.NET
Toornburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:50 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
As others have pointed out, there are reasons to like either one. Something not yet mentioned (we just moved from a 27 signature to a 28 Serenity) is that the 28 doesn’t have the same great kitchen storage with the pantry. However, the living area is better in the 28 and we like having the big windows on the door side as we try to pick sites with the best view on the awning and dinette side. Both are great trailers - you just need to sit in one at the dealer for an hour and imagine yourself living in one.
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
We have a 25FB and I really like having the bed in the front. When we go to bed, the curtains are closed and we don't miss out on the view. As far as noise goes, I really don't think there is that much difference between the front of the trailer and the back if you are in a loud environment.

I still claim that most of the places you go, the view out the back is far better than what you will see out the front. We like sitting at the table and looking out on the lake, forest or beach.

The "living" area in the FBs does leave something to be desired. If you spend a lot of time watching television then the RB with the couch would be a much better choice. When we are on long road trips I think the RB would be an advantage.

They are all nice. When you pick up something here, you lose something there. Just part of the game. If I had lots of money I would look at a 27FB. I actually preferred the FC until I got a look at the new Globetrotter. Whosa, that is a nice unit.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:55 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Our thought process mirrored Brick1 on our decision to go with 28RBQ. Our RB is used for sleeping or dressing, so not having wrap around windows in bedroom is not an issue for us. DW did not want to sit at the dinette all the time. We, including the dog, like having the couch. We choose the Flying Cloud in the 28' because of the additional cabinets over the dinette. At the end of the day, you can't go wrong with either floorplan.

StuartsDad is offline   Reply With Quote