Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2017, 09:24 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Vermont
25' FB Twin vs RB Twin

Would like to hear pros and cons from owners and their decision to go with one over the other. Like the extra toilet/ bathroom size... but is it worth giving up the extra couch size and window in the main area? Also, with the rear bedroom, the window in the bath seems to help with claustrophobia! Advice? Really like both models.
jrenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:36 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Kingwood , Texas
FB vs RB

We liked the FB so we could have the campground views from the dinette. We like the FB Twin because it gives us a larger sleeping area (basically a king), it makes the trailer look larger front to back, and the area between the two beds is a great dressing area. So far we are really liking our 2014 25 FB Twin Flying Cloud.
DoubleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:37 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
2003 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 330 hp w/2slides
Shelby , North Carolina
You'll get a lot of different opinions, because this is largely a personal preference decision. Both layouts have pros and cons.

We chose a FB because we like the view out of the rear pano windows.
NCMEDIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
We went with rear twins for a few reasons.

We thought the extra length in the sofa was unnecessary and liked the larger bathroom. Didn't like the floor level micro wave in the FB. But the biggest reason was access to the big rear outside storage. In the FB the LP tanks get in the way.

YMMV.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Take a measuring tape with you to the dealership and just go over everything. Sit everywhere. Go outside and access the storage, etc. You will come away with an objective decision.

I prefer rear bedroom for the outside access. The beds are the same size in both. i have a rear bedroom model (older) and there is 2-3" total of space between the walls and the mattress ends.

Look at the little details like you mention- where the micro is, is there an oven in one and not the other, etc. Size of wardrobe and pantry versus the other. These are very preferential. Have fun making the decision.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:01 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
St. Paul , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post

We thought the extra length in the sofa was unnecessary and liked the larger bathroom. Didn't like the floor level micro wave in the FB. But the biggest reason was access to the big rear outside storage. In the FB the LP tanks get in the way.

YMMV.
How big is the outside storage area on the RBT?
rothse99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:02 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
This topic has been done many times in previous threads. You might click on "Search" and go through Google search to find more opinions.

For us, we went with the FB twin for pretty much the same reasons the previous posters mentioned. Probably our biggest reason however, was the view from the dinette at most campsites from the rear of the trailer.

You did mention one thing about no window in the bathroom. My wife was also unhappy that the FB didn't have a window. Our solution was to order the window from Airstream that is found in the International and install it in the door. It definitely made the bathroom not quite as claustrophobic.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164...dow-36740.html
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:03 AM   #8
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Ordered the 2018 FC 25RT mainly because the wife and I don't want to wake each other going in and out of the bed. When we go out, I tend to stay out with the guys, and she hates it when I go back to bed smelling liquor on me AND waking her up in the process of getting in bed, barely. Likewise, she tends to use the bathroom throughout the night and would wake me.

There were other factors but this was the MAIN reason.

But to your original Question, I want rear because I can store heavier items towards the tongue. I've experienced sway because I was rear heavy, look up my post OUT OF CONTROL SWAY. So IF I have bring something heavy like my artillery of firearms or gens, I can store them in the front much easier.
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:17 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
We have an 2014 FC25FB twin. We like the additional seating and windows in the "salon".

But be advised that the hitch weight of newer 25 FBs tends to be significantly higher than RBs. Ours is 1252 or more, ready to roll. I could not get my F150 to be reasonably within load specs (there are numerous posts by me about this) so we considered ordering a new RB but we would have changed so many things that it just wasn't worth it. I now tow with a 2500 GMC Duramax. It was an expensive lesson.

The hitch weight of RBs that I know of are much closer to Airstream's spec weight of 837.

Good luck.
BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:47 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Even with a rear bedroom you can see the lake view from the couch in the front.
I've had both front bedroom and rear bedroom and liked them equally.
In my personal experience I can't say either one is better or worse for any reason.
Is there a possibility that one or the other might cost slightly less?
If so, get the less expensive one.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:04 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Selbyville , Delaware
If you get the rear bedroom you can also have both a microwave AND a regular oven. My wife wouldn't be without both, YMMV. The others for us - love the 14 inch longer bathroom with a porthole window, great outside storage, so much easier to move around inside with twins.
And winterizing is a snap - water pump very accessible under the wardrobe with the inlet facing out. As far as the view is concerned, we haven't been anyplace that would have made us choose a FBT for the view.
It does have the smaller lounge, but haven't had the opportunity to use it as a bed yet, just a seat.
Love the 25 RBT!
WBCCI #9026 Delmarva Unit
jamieb1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:20 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Waynesboro , Virginia
We chose rear bed because I liked the window in the bathroom and the great outside storage (total of four handy outdoor compartments none of which are back of the propane tanks). As far as views and couch space, when we camp we are eating and relaxing outside as much as possible and only use the inside space for poor weather and sleeping! As with the post from Jamie, winterizing is very easy. Lastly, I like having the camper door just back of the tow vehicle. All this is personal preference and I think one gets used to whatever the layout is.
jkhoover2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:21 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
We bought the 27 over the 25 because of the extra room, which we have enjoyed. (If you haven't spent time in both a 25 and a 27, comparing them, I would commend doing so. In our & many others' experience, the 27 is an ideal "couple's trailer.")

We bought the FB over the RB because we thought we would prefer the "living room" views from the rear of the trailer as opposed to the views if the "living room" were in the front of the trailer.

After having put 30K miles on the 27FB in the last two seasons, both decisions have been confirmed, and if we were to look for another trailer, it would be another 27 FB.

BTW, the 27 came with both a stove with oven and a microwave (although its microwave is pretty anemic, so we replaced it with a Panasonic).
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:51 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothse99 View Post
How big is the outside storage area on the RBT?
I don't have the dimensions- if you really want them I'll measure. But it is the full width of the trailer. I store a Honda 1000i, a BBQ and (mostly) all of Sam's fishing gear in it- rods, waders, etc. She has a lot. And room to spare.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
The front bed/rear bed thing has been debated on many threads. To us it's a non-issue. It's a crap shoot every stop which one gets the better view. And as J Edgar Hoover's brother said earlier, we are not in the camper for the view. We are out all day, and home for meals and sleeping.

YMMV.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:45 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
I'm also ruminating over this decision. Leaning toward the rear bedroom for increased bathroom size and storage; willing to give up a bit of lounge length. We'll likely eat outside most of the time anyway. I like having the door toward the front, and perhaps the rear bedroom might give a little more quiet and privacy in many campgrounds if one likes to leave Windows and curtains open a bit.

As BillfromWI mentioned above, I'm a little leery of the tongue weight on the 25's, particularly if I end up with a 1/2 ton as TV. The AS dealer tells me that the 25's really do come in around the specified tongue weights, and there isn't much difference between the FB and RB, but I've seen people describe horrendous weights on their FB's when actually measured. Is it true the RB's have lower tongue weight? Can anybody post their actual measured weight on a recent model trailer?
Dan P G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I wanted to buy 1 Airstream-
I wanted to get my "forever" Airstream the first time.
This led to a Classic 30...
And it will most likely end up an Heirstream...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:48 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
We had 3 25's before going to the 28' this past year. We had FB Twins in the last 2, as we wanted the rear dinning. Many places we camp have back in locations over looking water, is what drove our choice in the 25' FB Twin models. Wife does like the window in the Twin Rear bed unit; also the Microwave above the fridge and I believe you get a 4th storage compartment outside as I remember. We went up to the 28' Twin as we were tired of the dead space with the lounge for watching TV. Looked hard at the 27' and that is a nice unit also, but same lounge issues as 25'. The 26' is also very nice layout. As others on this thread have said, both are very nice and have slight advantages. Either Twin however, is much more functional unit with more storage outside then the queen models so not sure you can go wrong with either choice.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:19 PM   #19
Toaster

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Langlois , Oregon
Exactly

2015 5.2 Suburban
2016 25 FC RB Twin
tmacor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:38 PM   #20
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post

YMMV.
^ x2

We also liked having the microwave AND the propane oven. The larger bathroom with a window is also a plus - especially the window.

The pano windows in the bedroom are great for enjoying the scenery with a coffee in the morning. As for a view from the dinette - if the view is that great we will be outside for most of the day, not sitting at the dinette. We also like the door at the front which allows a lot more accessibility in many campground parking spots.