Old 06-02-2015, 06:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
25,000 BTU Max Limit on Propane Grill Supply

My trailer has a quick-connect for a gas grill which is great, but my Camp Chef stove is rated at 90,000 BTUs. Not sure why it is limited to less than 25,000, I plan to keep the flame low and will only use 2 of the 3 burners. I can get the stove wide open on a 5lb bottle. My trailer has much more capacity.

Any thoughts on this? should I look to mod the propane connection?

Old 06-02-2015, 06:32 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
My trailer has a quick-connect for a gas grill which is great, but my Camp Chef stove is rated at 90,000 BTUs. Not sure why it is limited to less than 25,000, I plan to keep the flame low and will only use 2 of the 3 burners. I can get the stove wide open on a 5lb bottle. My trailer has much more capacity.

Any thoughts on this? should I look to mod the propane connection?
With most gas grills, you connect to a high-pressure source (no regulator at the bottle), and regulate the flow at the grill. With a grill hooked up to an RV's propane bottles, you're tapped into the low-pressure side, and flow has already been regulated at the tank, so trying to regulate it again at the grill is problematic.

The normal modification routine is to modify the grill to remove the regulator and go with a simple valve instead of a regulator, so that your trailer's setup is unchanged. Modifying the trailer's regulator setup instead is risky and could void your insurance coverage in the event something goes wrong.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
It has to do with the flow rate available from the regulator. I don't know the rating of my grill, but it is a small single burner, so probably less than 40,000 BTU/hour. Twice now my water heater has failed to light when using the grill and the stove in the trailer. I suspect insufficient flow through the regulator as the cause. It is easier and substantially less expensive to restart the water heater than to change the regulator or add another one for the grill. The propane system is designed to support the stove, furnace, water heater and refrigerator. Adding a grill increases the demand for propane significantly but should be OK as long as you don't run it wide open along with everything else.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Resolved.

Wanted to follow up. I have been using the grill from the trailer supply for some time with good success. I don't run it on hi, just medium.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
Wanted to follow up. I have been using the grill from the trailer supply for some time with good success. I don't run it on hi, just medium.
We have a 2 burner Camp Chef stove, and ours works great too when connected to the AS provided quick connect propane outlet in the front. I normally use either low or medium, and can't imagine needing to cook on high. Great stoves by the way.