Old 07-26-2010, 09:47 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I kind of like that the Sport 22 is an updated version of our Argosy Minuet. We love towing narrow trailers, and the floorplan works for us. (Wish it had the full-opening windows though - I've seen that the Safari windows can be changed, but haven't seen any one do that mod to a Sport.)

Sport 22 trivia: The panaromic window was added as an option in 2009, and an additional streetside window was made available late in 2008. (Colonial has installed those windows in some Sports.) Looking at the pics, the 2010 model lost the earlier fuzzy-covered walls, instead going for the aluminium. The front bed in a 22FB is a little smaller than the convertible front-dinette in the other floorplan.

Curious question - without a bumper trunk, where does the stinky slinky go? Is there a tube under the trailer that holds it?

mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:43 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
2007 20' Safari
Montrose , Colorado
We have a 2007 20' Safari SE and love it. Plenty of room for two of us with a dog, lots of storage, and the most usable kitchen space of any AS floorplan. It is the same as the current 20' Flying Cloud. We bought ours used (very slightly, like new) and saved a bunch over a new Flying Cloud. And there are double windows at the dinette, great when you can park it with a view. We can tow it easily with a half ton pickup. We like to boondock it in out of the way places on public lands, and have towed it into a lot of places others proabably wouldn't. My wife and I could full time it in our 20', but then we like to spend a lot of time out-doors. For many, the 23'-25' might be better. Beyond that, you really get into the need for a heavy duty 3/4 ton tow vehicle. Something to give some consideration.

48Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:19 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
In these smaller Airstreams, one has to prioritize space, I believe. There is only so much of it, and how is it best used.

Need a large kitchen? 20' Safari, at the sacrifice of a walk-around bed, or separate lounge.

Need a walk-around bed (sort of) and larger bath? 23' Safari front bed, at the sacrifice of living space (it's tiny).

Need living space? 23' International has lounge and dinette, but the bed is tight for some.

In small trailers, look how much space is used only for passageway (Navy term) to one feature to another. Not efficient. Also examine storage space, load capacity, and liquid capacity. Is it enough? One or two batteries? Can you tow it, or need to spend almost as much for a stronger tow vehicle? Will it meet my future needs? Am I a traveler (smaller) or a destination camper (larger)?
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Mike, there are 2 dealers in Colorado—one is in Colorado Springs and may be better than the one you are probably talking about. I don't know how many they have on the floor but you can check. I don't think Airstream is financing trailers on the dealer lots, so dealers carry very few of them. When we were looking in 2007, each Colorado dealer had about 10 Airstreams.

If you want to buy new, consider going out of state where there are some highly respected dealers—Airstream of Arkansas is probably the closest. From my experience, if I were buying another new one, that's what I would do.

Going from 19' to 22'—check the specs because the name (19', 22' 23', etc.) may not be the same as the length. A 25' is 25' 11'' for example. The company website will give you all that info.

Since you have probably had your trailer for some time, I expect you have become knowledgeable about Airstreams. Perhaps it would be a good idea to look for a gently used one that is bigger—even a 25' FB. The 25' FB is the biggest seller (or close to it) and by now some may be available at a good price.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:14 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Erie , Colorado
Thanks, everybody

Thank you everyone who responded to the Sport 22"FB query. Your replies have helped us decide to pursue a gently used 2005-2007 25' Safari, hoping we can find one in our price range. We like the idea of a little more space than our Bambi can offer because we plan to spend a little more time on the road in our retirement.

mdh is offline   Reply With Quote