Old 05-15-2019, 05:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

California , MD
2020 Model Info Should Be Out Today

My understanding is today, at the Boston Dealer Conference, was the reveal of all 2020 updates/upgrades to the Airstream model line up.

Please post if you hear anything of interest

cru-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:29 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Grand Junction , Colorado
I’ve had an ear out today, only thing I’ve seen is one post on Instagram, I’ll share it here. It’s regarding the Globetrotter. I’m particularly wanting to hear what if any kind of minor updates to the 33...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5794.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	340915

Spartanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:29 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
No changes, only improvements.

Yes, I hope they make the 2020s even better!

Would love to see better insulation than fiberglass batts which have relatively low R-value, hold moisture and invite rodents, birds, insects to make cozy nests. Maybe they could even make the trailers 4-season! Winter camping in the High Rockies!!

Maybe they could install smart wiring conduit so when you want to run A/V cable, CAT 5, or even new electrical, you can do so easily and customize or update your trailer as technology changes over the coming years.

Wonder if they figured out that suicide doors are insane and hung the doors like every other trailer manufacturer such that when the door latch fails in transit, the air stream holds the door shut so the door isn't destroyed.

Wouldn't it be great if the subfloor was built out of some light-weight material that never rotted or got soft, even if under standing water and was bug and mold resistant, and would last as long as those legendary aluminum shells?

Those would be real improvements!

But, [sigh] how much you wanna bet they probably just changed the fabrics and color of the wood stain, and added some complicated gizmos they don't quite yet know how to fix when they break.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:49 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Miami Springs , Florida
The new Globetrotter 23 FB twin is on Colonials Facebook
Gallego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:37 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Miami Springs , Florida
Did the factory tour today.
They have a new model called Caravel (not a new name thought). Single Axle on narrow body 20’s base a basic look.
Caravel, Bambis and Classic have new round retro style braking lights
All trailers except Basecamps have rear camera
It seems that also more wood tones are coming to the FC
New Short 19FT Mercedes with Tommy Bahama interior
New colors for the Atlas
And our long awaited Globetrotter 23 FB twin. The new floor plan definitely fells more spacious!!!
That’s what I could get on my non expert eye
Gallego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:37 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallego View Post
They have a new model called Caravel (not a new name thought). Single Axle on narrow body 20’s base a basic look.
New colors for the Atlas
And our long awaited Globetrotter 23 FB twin. The new floor plan definitely fells more spacious!!!

Wow, thanks for this! Gotta see these braking lights. Wood tones on the Flying Cloud, huh...love the calm creamy look of the Flying Cloud cabinetry, hope that hasn’t been changed.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:40 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post

Would love to see better insulation than fiberglass batts which have relatively low R-value, hold moisture and invite rodents, birds, insects to make cozy nests. Maybe they could even make the trailers 4-season! Winter camping in the High Rockies!!

Maybe they could install smart wiring conduit so when you want to run A/V cable, CAT 5, or even new electrical, you can do so easily and customize or update your trailer as technology changes over the coming years.

Wonder if they figured out that suicide doors are insane and hung the doors like every other trailer manufacturer such that when the door latch fails in transit, the air stream holds the door shut so the door isn't destroyed.

Wouldn't it be great if the subfloor was built out of some light-weight material that never rotted or got soft, even if under standing water and was bug and mold resistant, and would last as long as those legendary aluminum shells?

But, [sigh] how much you wanna bet they probably just changed the fabrics and color of the wood stain, and added some complicated gizmos they don't quite yet know how to fix when they break.

Maybe would have better luck with one that wasn’t built in the 60’s or SOB.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:26 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Milford Center , Ohio
This youtube video is mostly shots of dealers, but there are a few new trailers in there. One of them may be the Caravel that was mentioned earlier?

DPRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:41 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

California , MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallego View Post
New colors for the Atlas

Could you elaborate on the more wood tones coming to FC?

We are trying to decide on getting a 2019 or ordering a 2020. We would appreciate any info on changes to the 2020 FC.

Thanks
Dan
cru-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:45 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post

Do you actually type this out or just copy and paste every time you post it?
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:58 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Well, I guess it's good to know someone is reading these posts I take the time to type!

My hope is that someone at JC will take these to heart. Consider for a second that AS pays folks good money whose job it is every year to study the market and design trends and select colors and fabrics for the trailers.

But anyone who reads these forums will soon discover common issues trailer after trailer.

Now, if I worked for a company that had a free user forum where I could glean free market research that would give insight on how to improve the product I sell, you can bet I would be reading it and have a team invested in it.

So I hope Thor is reading this forum and gaining insight into how to genuinely improve a good product and make it better. Some improvements like insulation and improving the floor would cost money, but not require a huge investment from design and engineering. AS FB models have already eliminated the suicide door, look at the FC 20 or 30 bunkhouse and ask why not these as well?

So much of the RV industry is filled with cheap trailers not designed to last. Few rolling out today will be in use come 2040. Certainly the interior design by then will be outdated. But the shell might still be valuable, if only the frame were not rusted out because the plywood floor leaked and rotted through.

So my hope is AS will make improvements in quality design and construction to better meet the brand promise it enjoys today. Something that takes a bit of effort, yes, but something worth so much more than annual cosmetic changes.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:03 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Well, but they’ve expanded the factory twice in the last 5 years. They’re selling at historic levels. Until people stay away in droves (thank you, Mel Brooks ), enjoy the cosmetic changes
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:48 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Yes, probably true. Too busy cutting down trees to sharpen the axe.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:11 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
Do you actually type this out or just copy and paste every time you post it?

Ha ha, nice! #killjoy