Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2019, 05:42 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
California , MD
2020 Model Info Should Be Out Today

My understanding is today, at the Boston Dealer Conference, was the reveal of all 2020 updates/upgrades to the Airstream model line up.

Please post if you hear anything of interest
cru-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:29 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
San Francisco , California
I’ve had an ear out today, only thing I’ve seen is one post on Instagram, I’ll share it here. It’s regarding the Globetrotter. I’m particularly wanting to hear what if any kind of minor updates to the 33...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5794.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	340915
Spartanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
No changes, only improvements.

Yes, I hope they make the 2020s even better!

Would love to see better insulation than fiberglass batts which have relatively low R-value, hold moisture and invite rodents, birds, insects to make cozy nests. Maybe they could even make the trailers 4-season! Winter camping in the High Rockies!!

Maybe they could install smart wiring conduit so when you want to run A/V cable, CAT 5, or even new electrical, you can do so easily and customize or update your trailer as technology changes over the coming years.

Wonder if they figured out that suicide doors are insane and hung the doors like every other trailer manufacturer such that when the door latch fails in transit, the air stream holds the door shut so the door isn't destroyed.

Wouldn't it be great if the subfloor was built out of some light-weight material that never rotted or got soft, even if under standing water and was bug and mold resistant, and would last as long as those legendary aluminum shells?

Those would be real improvements!

But, [sigh] how much you wanna bet they probably just changed the fabrics and color of the wood stain, and added some complicated gizmos they don't quite yet know how to fix when they break.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:49 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Miami Springs , Florida
The new Globetrotter 23 FB twin is on Colonials Facebook
Gallego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:37 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Miami Springs , Florida
Did the factory tour today.
They have a new model called Caravel (not a new name thought). Single Axle on narrow body 20’s base a basic look.
Caravel, Bambis and Classic have new round retro style braking lights
All trailers except Basecamps have rear camera
It seems that also more wood tones are coming to the FC
New Short 19FT Mercedes with Tommy Bahama interior
New colors for the Atlas
And our long awaited Globetrotter 23 FB twin. The new floor plan definitely fells more spacious!!!
That’s what I could get on my non expert eye
Old 05-18-2019, 12:37 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallego View Post
They have a new model called Caravel (not a new name thought). Single Axle on narrow body 20’s base a basic look.
New colors for the Atlas
And our long awaited Globetrotter 23 FB twin. The new floor plan definitely fells more spacious!!!

Wow, thanks for this! Gotta see these braking lights. Wood tones on the Flying Cloud, huh...love the calm creamy look of the Flying Cloud cabinetry, hope that hasn’t been changed.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:40 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post

Would love to see better insulation than fiberglass batts which have relatively low R-value, hold moisture and invite rodents, birds, insects to make cozy nests. Maybe they could even make the trailers 4-season! Winter camping in the High Rockies!!

Maybe they could install smart wiring conduit so when you want to run A/V cable, CAT 5, or even new electrical, you can do so easily and customize or update your trailer as technology changes over the coming years.

Wonder if they figured out that suicide doors are insane and hung the doors like every other trailer manufacturer such that when the door latch fails in transit, the air stream holds the door shut so the door isn't destroyed.

Wouldn't it be great if the subfloor was built out of some light-weight material that never rotted or got soft, even if under standing water and was bug and mold resistant, and would last as long as those legendary aluminum shells?

But, [sigh] how much you wanna bet they probably just changed the fabrics and color of the wood stain, and added some complicated gizmos they don't quite yet know how to fix when they break.

Maybe would have better luck with one that wasn’t built in the 60’s or SOB.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:26 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Milford Center , Ohio
This youtube video is mostly shots of dealers, but there are a few new trailers in there. One of them may be the Caravel that was mentioned earlier?

DPRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:41 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
California , MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallego View Post
New colors for the Atlas

Could you elaborate on the more wood tones coming to FC?

We are trying to decide on getting a 2019 or ordering a 2020. We would appreciate any info on changes to the 2020 FC.

Thanks
Dan
cru-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:45 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:

Do you actually type this out or just copy and paste every time you post it?
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:58 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Well, I guess it's good to know someone is reading these posts I take the time to type!

My hope is that someone at JC will take these to heart. Consider for a second that AS pays folks good money whose job it is every year to study the market and design trends and select colors and fabrics for the trailers.

But anyone who reads these forums will soon discover common issues trailer after trailer.

Now, if I worked for a company that had a free user forum where I could glean free market research that would give insight on how to improve the product I sell, you can bet I would be reading it and have a team invested in it.

So I hope Thor is reading this forum and gaining insight into how to genuinely improve a good product and make it better. Some improvements like insulation and improving the floor would cost money, but not require a huge investment from design and engineering. AS FB models have already eliminated the suicide door, look at the FC 20 or 30 bunkhouse and ask why not these as well?

So much of the RV industry is filled with cheap trailers not designed to last. Few rolling out today will be in use come 2040. Certainly the interior design by then will be outdated. But the shell might still be valuable, if only the frame were not rusted out because the plywood floor leaked and rotted through.

So my hope is AS will make improvements in quality design and construction to better meet the brand promise it enjoys today. Something that takes a bit of effort, yes, but something worth so much more than annual cosmetic changes.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:03 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Well, but they’ve expanded the factory twice in the last 5 years. They’re selling at historic levels. Until people stay away in droves (thank you, Mel Brooks [emoji3]), enjoy the cosmetic changes [emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:48 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Yes, probably true. Too busy cutting down trees to sharpen the axe.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:11 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
Do you actually type this out or just copy and paste every time you post it?

Ha ha, nice! #killjoy
Old 05-18-2019, 02:54 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Miami Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cru-in View Post
Could you elaborate on the more wood tones coming to FC?

We are trying to decide on getting a 2019 or ordering a 2020. We would appreciate any info on changes to the 2020 FC.

Thanks
Dan
I am not quite sure, remember what I saw was half built trailers, some things are obvious others you have to guess. Anyhow, it seems the FC are coming with a light grey imitation wood vinyl flooring and the wood instead of the imitation bamboo is going to a slightly textured maple tone.
But please do not take my word for granted. I was sneaking in the trailers really fast.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:19 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Milford Center , Ohio
Quote:
Well, I guess it's good to know someone is reading these posts I take the time to type!

My hope is that someone at JC will take these to heart. Consider for a second that AS pays folks good money whose job it is every year to study the market and design trends and select colors and fabrics for the trailers.

But anyone who reads these forums will soon discover common issues trailer after trailer.

Now, if I worked for a company that had a free user forum where I could glean free market research that would give insight on how to improve the product I sell, you can bet I would be reading it and have a team invested in it.

So I hope Thor is reading this forum and gaining insight into how to genuinely improve a good product and make it better. Some improvements like insulation and improving the floor would cost money, but not require a huge investment from design and engineering. AS FB models have already eliminated the suicide door, look at the FC 20 or 30 bunkhouse and ask why not these as well?

So much of the RV industry is filled with cheap trailers not designed to last. Few rolling out today will be in use come 2040. Certainly the interior design by then will be outdated. But the shell might still be valuable, if only the frame were not rusted out because the plywood floor leaked and rotted through.

So my hope is AS will make improvements in quality design and construction to better meet the brand promise it enjoys today. Something that takes a bit of effort, yes, but something worth so much more than annual cosmetic changes.
Notice that Airstream doesn't do any marketing here. At all.

This forum is mostly for people who already have Airstreams, and those few who really research their purchases before they buy. I you really want to promote these quality control issues, post comments where Airstream's new customers will find them - Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, etc.

I noticed in the dealer meeting video (above) that improving quality control is one of their goals with the new factory. It doesn't hurt to push Airstream to keep going with that.
DPRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:09 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Miami Springs , Florida
And then you have romantics, you might call them foolish like me, that are happy to have one of the last Airstreams coming out of the last factory.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
What's new; I'll tell you what's new. PRICES.

Hi, according to a Trailer Life article.

The new 30RB at 31' 3"s for $152,400.00.

The new 33FB at 33' for $166,900.00.

And if you can't afford one of those you can buy a new Nest 16'er for only $45,900.00.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:35 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Miami Springs , Florida
As an owner I am happy that prices keep going up, it really helps to maintain resale value. Anyhow, it is difficult to explain the price rise when the main material used i our trailers, Aluminium, is 25% down. We just did the factory tour and they keep saying that all the material except the appliances are made in the USA, therefore tariffs are not affecting either. So it just seems that the increasing demand keeps pushing prices up. They have to be doing really well with the AS and really bad with the rest of the brands, because the drop of Thor Ind stock is unexplainable on this context.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	355ED823-505D-47C7-A5FC-0DFB47761900.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	353.1 KB
ID:	341108  
Old 05-20-2019, 09:08 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, according to a Trailer Life article.

The new 30RB at 31' 3"s for $152,400.00.

The new 33FB at 33' for $166,900.00.

And if you can't afford one of those you can buy a new Nest 16'er for only $45,900.00.
Heaven help Airstream if any disgruntled Nest owner ever does a YouTube video comparing it point by point against a Casita, Scamp, Oliver or any other "egg" trailer. Price would be crushingly obvious, except for Oliver, but even then feature by feature... there is that pesky "value" proposition. What do you GET for that $46K?

Heaven help the DEALERS when the potential buyers find out that other most other "egg" manufacturers have a 3 to 6 month waiting list, and a list of happy owners who voluntarily do "show and tell" demos of their brands.

Airstream does a LOT of ad promotions, mainly product placement (raisin brand), and clearly has made a SMART decision to slant its efforts to first time RV buyers rather than to its existing niche. (It is TRUE. Even people who have owned 3 or 4 Airstreams do not buy a new one every year or two, and you widen the pool of buyers or go under. And unfortunately, a sizable number of Airstream buyers are so unhappy they switch to other brands or abandon camping altogether.)

I really wanted to love the Nest when it was announced. I am aging out of full timing. Would still want to have a weekender and take a dozen short hops a year... with a low maintenance, light weight portable bedroom... but I have visited more than one dealer and am underwhelmed. I have seen better gelcoat and construction on 10 year old fiberglass tubs! Guess I'll hang onto Eddie.

BTW saw a Can-Am Spyder towing a craftsman's home made mahogany Teardrop last week. Geezers last stand!