Old 11-18-2017, 08:54 AM   #71
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Tazewell , Tennessee
I've been anxiously following the new Globetrotter, and after a month, I am not seeing any G's hit dealerships. One in Ohio, one in Vermont, one in New Jersey.
I know they are built by hand, but where's the beef? I am close to pulling the trigger, but there may not be one around to purchase. Where are they?

Old 11-18-2017, 09:25 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
$120k is cheap. Earthroamer just released a $1.5MM unit on a Ford F-750 platform. What does this remind you of?

Time to buy gold.
Unfortunately, gold and silver are at the same price they were 10 years ago. I think the market is controlled. As long as stocks are hot, precious metals aren't going anywhere.

I do think the globetrotter is really nice. But at a price point that's out of my sensibility range.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:35 AM   #73
Rivet Master

Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Love love love

I absolutely love this new decor. Our 2008 International has crisp white upper cabinets. When Airstream changed to the mushroom beige of newer Internationals, I was disappointed. I love all the white in the Globetrotter. It does look more like the European models, for sure. Our International has the "paprika" decor. The sofa upholstery is a light grey & white weave. After 9 years and 3 dogs, it still looks new without stains (even after experiencing a plethora of "yellow stickies" from poplar trees). I guess we aren't rougher on our stuff just because we are out in the wilds. I'm willing to bet that the white fabric on the Globetrotter is even easier to keep clean. As for lighter floors, when you have a Golden Retriever, that's a bonus! The hair won't show as much. This is the first decor that I've liked more than my 2008. How I wish my budget would allow me to get this model. Sigh.

Lisa

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod" https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
2002 Chinook Destiny | 1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler"
WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:25 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Looks great! A lottery win would have me ordering one - with an emergency exit door instead of a window in the bedroom. Very smart looking trailer and some nice feature updates since my 2012.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:04 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDsteel View Post
We cancelled the deal with the "show shister" and received a substantialy better price from Toscano in Los Baños. Now waiting for delivery around Dec. 12. Tons of pictures from dealers on RVTrader, our color is Barcelona Blue.
We would really like to see one "in person", especially the twin version. Colonial has 5 in stock and they are all with the queen bed. We have not even seen pictures of the bedroom with the twin bed layout. Especially how the headboard is handled. I'll see if I can find some pictures on RVTrader.

I guess the queen is much more popular. Just curious if anyone has any idea what the ratio of queen vs. twins.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:19 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
We would really like to see one "in person", especially the twin version. Colonial has 5 in stock and they are all with the queen bed. We have not even seen pictures of the bedroom with the twin bed layout. Especially how the headboard is handled. I'll see if I can find some pictures on RVTrader.

I guess the queen is much more popular. Just curious if anyone has any idea what the ratio of queen vs. twins.
I would guess overall that queens outnumber twins, but there is a dedicated customer base that require twins. Airstream generally (always?) releases the queen versions first when they introduce new models. Twin versions, if offered at all (they were custom order only on some models in the past, like the Eddie Bauer) typically come along a few months later. At least that was the case on the radically new 2015 30' Classic. The first twins (other than one demo model) were first built maybe 6 months after the queen version went on sale. I think there was much less delay on the twin version of the 33 Classic, but that was not so much a new model as just a new floor plan/length.

Bottom line, since they have advertised it on their web site, it will just take little patience until they appear on dealer lots.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:43 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post

I wonder about resale value, queen vs twin. Seems like most people go for the queen.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:14 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Our first Airstream was the cross frame queen bed 2013 25FB International Serenity. We knew after the first night this was a bad purchase decision for us. At that time twins were not an option on the International series and higher trim lines until the Classic model. It was rumored that somewhere north of $4,000 would enable a twin model International to be made at that time. Then they become a standard no charge option.

If we had been able to acquire a twin bed model originally in the International Serenity trim, we might still be in the 25FB.

Once we got into the 2014 31' Classic with twins, we would never consider a queen bed again on a wide body Airstream.

There is no way to put the twin bed option in the 2015 23D International Serenity, but at least there is no rear roof locker positioned to bean yourself on when sitting up.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:12 AM   #79
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
I would guess overall that queens outnumber twins, but there is a dedicated customer base that require twins. Airstream generally (always?) releases the queen versions first when they introduce new models. Twin versions, if offered at all (they were custom order only on some models in the past, like the Eddie Bauer) typically come along a few months later. At least that was the case on the radically new 2015 30' Classic. The first twins (other than one demo model) were first built maybe 6 months after the queen version went on sale. I think there was much less delay on the twin version of the 33 Classic, but that was not so much a new model as just a new floor plan/length.

Bottom line, since they have advertised it on their web site, it will just take little patience until they appear on dealer lots.
Hi

From talking to dealers, the queen / twin versions split about 50/50 when they are available.

Bob
Old 11-25-2017, 10:28 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Queen vs Twin experience...

We like the Twin versions for 4 main reasons:
1) more room to roam. The twins give you more room to dress and also make the beds easier.
2) storage. You have 2 more outside storage bins with the Twin models, plus 2 storage bins under each bed (4 total) inside for shoes, etc. Don't have to deal with lifting up a big 60" queen mattress to get to inside storage.
3) sleeping surface. With Twins, you have 34" each= 68" sleeping surface total, vs 60" with a Queen model. Plus, twins are easier to make up, from our experience.
4) wife likes the twin more than the queen!
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:40 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Still looking for pictures of a twin version of the Globetrotter. Has anyone seen any?

Thanks!
Old 12-09-2017, 08:54 AM   #82

Currently Looking...
Tulare , California
The Airstream website has 1 twin shot in Barcelona blue.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:59 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Interesting that most seem to not like the Globetrotter decor. To us it's the only Airstream decor we might consider other than the Classic. Of course, we're not fans of a rear door front queen floor plan, so we'd have no interest unless they added a 30' front door rear twin model. That said, we love our Classic, so won't be changing, but we do like the Globetrotter decor. I guess that's 1 like vs. many dislikes, but I doubt they'll have any troubles selling them.
Well I saw a Globetrotter in person today and that changed my mind. It looks nice, but loses too many points on practicality.

Biggest disappointment was the roof lockers. The door openings are so far above the floor of the bins that they had to put mirrors inside so that you can see what's in the bottom of them. At 6' 1", I could not see the bottoms without the mirrors. I wonder if the mirrors would work for someone significantly shorter, or if the bins were partially full.

Also, the curved roof locker doors have no handles. This is not a big issue when opening them, but presents a problem closing them. One option is to pull them down until the spring loaded hinge takes over and causes them to slam. The other option is to use one hand to pull them down and then the other hand to ease them closed. This is due to the curved nature of the doors that do not allow a good one handed grip. There would be no using one hand to open and close while retrieving contents with the other hand.

Next, the microwave below the cooktop is much too low to be used. No way to read the tiny labels on the buttons without sitting on the floor in front of the microwave. Some other models with a low mounted microwave at least have a dinette bench across the aisle from the microwave that can be sat on while loading, unloading, or programming the microwave. No such option on the Globetrotter.

Finally, the bedroom nightstands are abnormally low (at least on the queen bed model I saw), which would render them useless to us.

Others opinions may vary, but to us the Globetrotter is another case of style over usability. We'll keep our Classic.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:24 AM   #84
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Next, the microwave below the cooktop is much too low to be used. No way to read the tiny labels on the buttons without sitting on the floor in front of the microwave. Some other models with a low mounted microwave at least have a dinette bench across the aisle from the microwave that can be sat on while loading, unloading, or programming the microwave. No such option on the Globetrotter.
You can get the microwave in the pullout pantry option (which we have in our 27FB). This puts the microwave at approximately eye level. Then you also get the propane oven below the cooktop. I understand the new propane oven has electric lighting which is a huge improvement over the pilot light in our oven. You don't have to light the pilot every time you want to use the oven. We like having the propane oven when we are off the grid and can't use a microwave.