Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2016, 06:36 PM   #1

Phoenix , Arizona
2017 25' tv Netflix connect, etc.

What do I need to do to connect for Netflix, other apps on the TVs in the new AS?
dlec123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:47 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
First off, welcome to the forums!

The newer tvs are smart tvs. But in order for that work, you need wifi. If there is no wifi available, you can do this by using a hotspot.

We just plug our iPhones or iPads into the tv using an hdmi to lighting adaptor. This allows us to watch predownloaded movies and shows. There is a YouTube videos by a member here showing how to hook up an Apple TV. The newer versions do not need wifi, but use Bluetooth. This allows you to AirPlay from your apple devises.

I apologize that all my experience is with apple products, I'm sure there are great hardware and software solutions for other OSs as well.

Good luck!
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:16 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Redmond , Washington
You can buy a 3 port HDMI switch from Amazon that's about the size of a deck of cards. Take the HDMI cable coming from the DVD player and more connect it to the switches output, then connect the DVD output to one of the switches input.

Then you can connect any HDMI device you want, Apple TV, Android, iOS etc.
Mgieselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:02 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I have a 2017 Serenity 28. I have an Apple iPhone 6 with amazon prime and downloaded movies. How do I stream movies either downloaded or via wifi. I have not been able to get it to work.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
2017 25' tv Netflix connect, etc.

I went to the Apple Store and got a cable with an HDMI plug on one end and the connector that plugs into my iPhone 6 on the other end. When I download or rent a movie from Amazon that I want to play on the AS TV, I connect the cable from the iPhone to the back of the TV. Then I use the remote control that came with the TV to find the menu of input options, and select HDMI. Then as soon as the movie starts on the iPhone, it starts on the TV. By pushing certain other buttons on the remote control for the sound system, I can get the sound to play through the AS sound system, rather than just through the TV. I'm sure these buttons are slightly different from unit to unit, but that's the general idea. If a 72 year old Luddite stuck in the 20th century can figure out how to do it, I'm sure you can too.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:23 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Washington , Utah
McDave,

How does one download a movie from Amazon onto an iPhone or iPad?

Ron
RonaldC303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:04 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Hi Ron,

You need the Amazon Video app to download movies and tv to your IOS device. Once that's installed and you have purchased Amazon prime, it's a pretty simple procedure.

Good luck!
Old 10-08-2016, 05:04 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlec123 View Post
What do I need to do to connect for Netflix, other apps on the TVs in the new AS?
You will need a way to get internet to the television. You can use an Amazon stick, Apple TV, or one of several other access sources. Most of them will connect using either USB or HDMI. Once connected, all you need is a high speed wifi signal without data caps.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Matt View Post
Hi Ron,

You need the Amazon Video app to download movies and tv to your IOS device. Once that's installed and you have purchased Amazon prime, it's a pretty simple procedure.

Good luck!

Correct. The advantage of using an HDMI cable from iPhone to TV as opposed to Apple TV, etc, is that no wifi signal is necessary. I'm sure there are other advantages to Apple TV, etc, but if all you want to do is to play downloaded movies away from a wifi signal, this is a pretty simple way to do it.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:19 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
It is also possible to pair your phone as your wifi. On an iPhone it's called Personal Hotspot. Turn it on under settings. Pair your TV or DVR with your phone and you can use your data plan to stream video. Warning!! You can burn a lot of data. But if you're careful and have a decent data plan, you can watch netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime etc. We watched Longmire the other night on Netflix.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveswenson View Post
It is also possible to pair your phone as your wifi. On an iPhone it's called Personal Hotspot. Turn it on under settings. Pair your TV or DVR with your phone and you can use your data plan to stream video. Warning!! You can burn a lot of data. But if you're careful and have a decent data plan, you can watch netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime etc. We watched Longmire the other night on Netflix.

Do you need to have a cell signal to use your iPhone as a personal hotspot, or can you use it that way even when you have neither a cell signal nor a wifi connection?
Old 10-08-2016, 12:19 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
Do you need to have a cell signal to use your iPhone as a personal hotspot, or can you use it that way even when you have neither a cell signal nor a wifi connection?

Yes. A cell signal would be necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:52 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Washington , Utah
Many thanks to McDave and NorCal Matt for your advice on how to play downloaded movies through my iPad. It works great.

During my quest for the Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter I learned there were two versions; an older version and a new and improved version. I bought mine through Amazon and the Apple item number is MD826AM/A.

Ron
RonaldC303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
We went with the Apple TV (3rd generation). I rip rental DVDs then put them on a external hard drive. Since my MacBook Air is too old to support the Airplay directly to the AppleTV I have to sync the desired movie from iTunes on my MacBook to my iPad Air. From the iPad we can use Airplay to the Apple TV connected to our TV. Seems to work well. We often use a BT transmitter connected to the TV so we can pair two BT earbuds and listen to the movie that way. Works well when the A/C is running which may not be a concern with the duct air model Airstreams.

Kelvin
Old 10-13-2016, 01:08 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
For everyone insterested in using an AppleTV, I believe I misspoke earlier when I said you did not need wifi to AirPlay with the newer appletvs.

It must have been a feature allowed only on IOS 8, I had assumed they would continue it but my recently purchased Apple TV does not support Bluetooth AirPlay. I apologize for any confusion I may have caused.

Kelvin, do you use a hotspot to connect to your Apple TV?
Old 10-13-2016, 01:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Apple TV gen 3, model A1469 and above support Airplay peer to peer. If using an iPad you have to determine if your model will support Airplay. I have the iPad Air (1st gen). Enable WIFI, even if there is no WIFI available (hot spot not required) and BT on the iPad. Start the movie and pull up the menu from the bottom of the screen and Airplay should show the AppleTV to select. I may be wrong about WIFI enabling but try it on and off even if no WIFI network is found

Airplay apparently won't let you stream Netflix, Amazon from some research. I only play content installed in iTunes.

Kelvin
Old 10-13-2016, 01:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Found this article.

http://www.imore.com/mac-help-stream...le-tv-no-wi-fi
Old 10-13-2016, 02:12 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Check out this video regarding AppleTV 3 Airplay without wifi. I installed to my TV's and use Airplay all the time. One less cable and when you do have some sort of Wifi you have lots of streaming options on the AppleTV without any extra cabling and such.

3rd generation rev A model A1469. If you don’t know your model number, just look on bottom of Apple TV. Works with IOS 10 too

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:06 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
You guys are the best! It took about 5 min of me watching the movie before the Apple TV showed up as an option to air play. I guess I just wasn't patient enough.

AirstreamNerd, your video was what made me want to try it. Thanks for the info!

Kelvin, thanks for the article!
Old 10-14-2016, 06:38 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Matt View Post
You guys are the best! It took about 5 min of me watching the movie before the Apple TV showed up as an option to air play. I guess I just wasn't patient enough.!
It should not take that long - make sure you have latest updates on both the AppleTV and the ipad/iphone. I have found that if you are not up to date on both you tend to have the sort of issue you have. Airplay should pop right up...just swipe up from bottom of your screen and select Airplay. Once the Airplay option window pops up you should see it fill in with your devices. In my case I would show iPad / Trixie BR / Trixie LR. I just click whichever TV I want to use (or iPad to turn off) and go from there. Occasionally it does not connect but I just click it again and it normally works just fine.

BTW - I am glad our video helped you out.

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote