Old 10-13-2016, 02:08 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
For everyone insterested in using an AppleTV, I believe I misspoke earlier when I said you did not need wifi to AirPlay with the newer appletvs.

It must have been a feature allowed only on IOS 8, I had assumed they would continue it but my recently purchased Apple TV does not support Bluetooth AirPlay. I apologize for any confusion I may have caused.

Kelvin, do you use a hotspot to connect to your Apple TV?

Old 10-13-2016, 02:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Apple TV gen 3, model A1469 and above support Airplay peer to peer. If using an iPad you have to determine if your model will support Airplay. I have the iPad Air (1st gen). Enable WIFI, even if there is no WIFI available (hot spot not required) and BT on the iPad. Start the movie and pull up the menu from the bottom of the screen and Airplay should show the AppleTV to select. I may be wrong about WIFI enabling but try it on and off even if no WIFI network is found

Airplay apparently won't let you stream Netflix, Amazon from some research. I only play content installed in iTunes.

Kelvin

KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Found this article.

http://www.imore.com/mac-help-stream...le-tv-no-wi-fi
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:12 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Check out this video regarding AppleTV 3 Airplay without wifi. I installed to my TV's and use Airplay all the time. One less cable and when you do have some sort of Wifi you have lots of streaming options on the AppleTV without any extra cabling and such.

3rd generation rev A model A1469. If you don’t know your model number, just look on bottom of Apple TV. Works with IOS 10 too

AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:06 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
You guys are the best! It took about 5 min of me watching the movie before the Apple TV showed up as an option to air play. I guess I just wasn't patient enough.

AirstreamNerd, your video was what made me want to try it. Thanks for the info!

Kelvin, thanks for the article!
Old 10-14-2016, 07:38 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Matt View Post
You guys are the best! It took about 5 min of me watching the movie before the Apple TV showed up as an option to air play. I guess I just wasn't patient enough.!
It should not take that long - make sure you have latest updates on both the AppleTV and the ipad/iphone. I have found that if you are not up to date on both you tend to have the sort of issue you have. Airplay should pop right up...just swipe up from bottom of your screen and select Airplay. Once the Airplay option window pops up you should see it fill in with your devices. In my case I would show iPad / Trixie BR / Trixie LR. I just click whichever TV I want to use (or iPad to turn off) and go from there. Occasionally it does not connect but I just click it again and it normally works just fine.

BTW - I am glad our video helped you out.

TV: 2013 Ford Raptor SVT
Build Page: http://www.shaggycentral.net/bigeffr/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote