Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2014, 08:47 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
2015 Classic Airstream

Has anyone heard what changes are in store for the 2015 Classic model?

I had heard rumors from dealers that many changes were coming for the Classic in 2015.

One rumor was that Airstream was going to a ducted ceiling. Insulating the ceiling and running A/C ducts to quiet down the inside cabin.

I had also heard that Airstream may go to something like Rhino liner to coat the outer skin from the inside. Supposedly to address water leaks.

Another rumor was upgraded electronics and a multi-stage charging system for a larger battery pack.

However, it is all rumor and I was hoping to hear soon. Some dealers already have 2015 Sports on order, so I thought the 2015 Classic should be announced soon.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:49 AM   #2
Airstreaming Pagey

2015 31' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Oooh - those changes would be nice. Haven't heard for sure. Ours will probably be a 2015.

May your days be filled with love and laughter.
Pagey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
Has anyone heard what changes are in store for the 2015 Classic model?

I had heard rumors from dealers that many changes were coming for the Classic in 2015.

One rumor was that Airstream was going to a ducted ceiling. Insulating the ceiling and running A/C ducts to quiet down the inside cabin.

I had also heard that Airstream may go to something like Rhino liner to coat the outer skin from the inside. Supposedly to address water leaks.

Another rumor was upgraded electronics and a multi-stage charging system for a larger battery pack.

However, it is all rumor and I was hoping to hear soon. Some dealers already have 2015 Sports on order, so I thought the 2015 Classic should be announced soon.
Airstream has sealed the insides of the outer shell for many decades.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Aren't you supposed to be on vacation Andy?
Enjoy yourself
Old 04-14-2014, 02:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
Aren't you supposed to be on vacation Andy?
Enjoy yourself
Vacation?

Not really.

But R & R yes.

Rest and recooperation.

Hawaii, is a different world with tons and tons of super nice people.

But the temperatures ?????

Daytime 80 degrees.

Night time 65 to 68 degress.

There should be a law against things like that.

Aloha.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Cool upgrades would be:
1. 16" wheels and tires
2. disc brakes
3. built-in wi-fi ranger
4. ducted air
5. small solar panel just for keeping the batteries charged
6. AGM batteries
7. stack windows, clear-view windows, and panoramic windows in the bedroom
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:41 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Airstream has sealed the insides of the outer shell for many decades.

Andy
Yes, but they used to use a sticky adhesive type sealant.

I had heard that they were actually looking at Rhino liner for the sealant. This is the same stuff used in truck bed liners. It is extremely durable, flexible, and creates a waterproof shell. It is not silicone based and won't react with aluminum.

In addition it insulates better than the previous sealant.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
i sprayed a truck bed liner in my 57 overlander we are renovating. not for sealing though - mainly to reduce condensation on interior of outside skin. it does have added value of slight sound-reducing and insulative value, and i would expect it might fill some gaps but i used trempro for that.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:10 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Hilton head island , South Carolina
Are all 2015s announced at once? They should be sending out a press release with model changes soon shouldn't they? I heard it's usually April or may.

I am interested if the EB will continue and what floor plan changes they may have.
coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:51 PM   #10
Firedog1

2018 30' Classic
Woodbridge Connecticut & , Venice Florida
They will make announcement, release all details and pricing after the May 15 meeting with all the Airstream Dealers.
Sold but not forgotten: 2005 Classic 25 Limited
2015 Classic 30 RB
Firedog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:09 PM   #11
'06 75th Winick Prototype

2006 19' International CCD
1968 22' Safari
The Swamps of Hell , Lousy-Anna
Rhino lining will do nothing to address the REAL places Airstreams leak...which is everything that is installed AFTER it would be Rhino lined. It's not like they are installing everything on the outside of the trailer, leaving the inside completely empty with no internal walls, taping off the windows and such and "sealing" it with Rhino liner. That's not possible, but it would be the ONLY way to have Rhino liner help with leaks. Airstreams just don't leak much through the panels themselves. They leak at the lights, vents, windows, awnings, antennas, etc...
ggoat!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:20 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggoat!!! View Post
Rhino lining will do nothing to address the REAL places Airstreams leak...which is everything that is installed AFTER it would be Rhino lined. It's not like they are installing everything on the outside of the trailer, leaving the inside completely empty with no internal walls, taping off the windows and such and "sealing" it with Rhino liner. That's not possible, but it would be the ONLY way to have Rhino liner help with leaks. Airstreams just don't leak much through the panels themselves. They leak at the lights, vents, windows, awnings, antennas, etc...
So why is it not possible?

They do it on trucks. They completely mask off, fenders, access bolts, hinges, vents, etc then spray on the liner which forms a hard shell. I have even seen it sprayed on the interior of camper shells that had windows, interior lights and hinged rear door. All were masked sprayed and the shells were all aluminum. The Rhino liner completely sealed the interior.

You could mount all the exterior panels on the monocote frame, seal all rivets and seams, mount all exterior lights, windows, A/C, heating, run wiring plumbing through the shell, etc. Mask all windows and spray the entire interior. Next add, insulation and inner panels. This would seal the entire exterior from the interior. Rhino liner is easy to apply, relatively cheap, light weight, and sticks on everything. Once hard is is almost bullet proof when used over steel.

The state department makes bombproof shelters by Rhino lining cement cinder blocks. Creating an almost indestructible building material.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:52 PM   #13
'06 75th Winick Prototype

2006 19' International CCD
1968 22' Safari
The Swamps of Hell , Lousy-Anna
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
So why is it not possible?

They do it on trucks. They completely mask off, fenders, access bolts, hinges, vents, etc then spray on the liner which forms a hard shell. I have even seen it sprayed on the interior of camper shells that had windows, interior lights and hinged rear door. All were masked sprayed and the shells were all aluminum. The Rhino liner completely sealed the interior.

You could mount all the exterior panels on the monocote frame, seal all rivets and seams, mount all exterior lights, windows, A/C, heating, run wiring plumbing through the shell, etc. Mask all windows and spray the entire interior. Next add, insulation and inner panels. This would seal the entire exterior from the interior. Rhino liner is easy to apply, relatively cheap, light weight, and sticks on everything. Once hard is is almost bullet proof when used over steel.

The state department makes bombproof shelters by Rhino lining cement cinder blocks. Creating an almost indestructible building material.
I'm not saying it wouldn't WORK; it WOULD. Again, I'm saying that it's not POSSIBLE, meaning LOGISTICALLY from a production and cost standpoint.

If you've seen how these trailers are made, you would realize that everything you stated above, while a good idea theoretically, would NOT be possible from a cost and feasibility standpoint. That's just not how the trailers are made now, and there is no WAY they would change their production assembly lines drastically to such an extent just to apply Rhino liner in that way such that everything gets sealed properly.

So, it's not possible...from a manufacturing standpoint.
ggoat!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:02 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggoat!!! View Post
I'm not saying it wouldn't WORK; it WOULD. Again, I'm saying that it's not POSSIBLE, meaning LOGISTICALLY from a production and cost standpoint.

If you've seen how these trailers are made, you would realize that everything you stated above, while a good idea theoretically, would NOT be possible from a cost and feasibility standpoint. That's just not how the trailers are made now, and there is no WAY they would change their production assembly lines drastically to such an extent just to apply Rhino liner in that way such that everything gets sealed properly.

So, it's not possible...from a manufacturing standpoint.
OK, that makes sense to me. I haven't been to the factory to see why current production practice would make this difficult to implement but I will take your word for it.

Well like I said it was just a rumor I heard, along with the ducted ceiling for A/C and the enhanced battery and charger electronics.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Neatstream photos

yesterday I was looking at the photos at the top of the portal page - and did a "what?".

Clicked on them - Neatstream, aka Patrick Botticelli of Colonial, had posted a couple of pictures of the Sterling - one with a Serenity floor, the other with an Eddie Bauer floor. The original Sterling with a choice of electric magenta or day-glo-mustard flooring was just too out there for my taste. I think all of the faux aluminum laminate leaves the unit looking a bit like an operating room, but still the alternate floors were a huge improvement. I PM'ed Patrick asking if these were photoshopped or really available. No word yet. Perhaps that's something else that will have to wait for May 15.

Paula
Old 04-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I like the faux wood flooring in my Classic, but maybe one day they will put real oak or heart pine or bamboo floors in the Classic.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:50 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
If this rhino coating fixes water leaks on these trailers and cost a little more I'm for it ! This will make the airstream a better trailer get rid of one major problem with airstreams , they need to start fixing some of these problems with these trailers! The cost of removing the rotted out floor from water leaks I'm sure cost more then changing the assembly line and coating with rhino coating if this fixes the water leaks , as others have said most of water leaks are from brackets ,Taillights ,vents etc , but if it fixes the water leaks at windows it's a improvement !
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:53 AM   #18
Airstreaming Pagey

2015 31' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We would like to have cork floors. Lightweight.

Sent from my HTCONE using Airstream Forums mobile app

May your days be filled with love and laughter.
Pagey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:01 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Kirkland , Washington
Water damage

Airstream & other TT companies, need to address the water vs plywood floor issue. Plywood should be marine grade plywood, heavily sealed like a boat deck @ top / bottom THEN flooring applied over it.

Maybe some kind of Recycled TREX GREEN decking on top of plywood then flooring?
AIRSTERLING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:02 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Kirkland , Washington
GREEN Flooring

Recycled rubber tile flooring like in exercise studios?
AIRSTERLING is offline   Reply With Quote