Old 04-10-2005, 05:03 PM   #1
Craftsman

2006 Airstreams

When do the 2006 Airstream begin production?
Old 05-24-2005, 05:47 AM   #2
Craftsman

I'm ready to order and I'm waiting for the dealer to get back to me on a revised price for a 2006 34' Ltd. based on any price increases and the new axles and have two questions. Should I order a standard oven or the cook top and convection oven? Also, does anyone have personal experience with Colonial Airstream? A third question,any opinions on the lounge skylight?

thanks
Old 05-24-2005, 07:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
hi craftsman!
concerning kitchen configuration, i would venture to say, it depends on your lifestyle. do you or your significant other like to cook? i myself do roasts, casseroles, make bread, and biscuits. this type of cooking can be challenging in a magic chef, but not impossible. a good dutch oven does wonders. with the cooktop config. i believe the microwave has an elctric browning element. if you plan on adventurous restaurant quests most of the time, then, the choice would be a matter of cost.
the skylight option would give extra light inside, which is nice, though it also adds heat gain, and loss considerations.
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 08:01 AM   #4
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
When do the 2006 Airstream begin production?
I understand that they have begun production or at least anything ordered at this point will be an '06 model.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:30 AM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
When I was at the factory about 3 weeks ago, the rumors were that 2006s were about 6 weeks away. That would put 2006s coming in around 3 weeks from now...if the rumors are true.

I would agree 110% that any order for an Airstream placed today will clearly be titled as a 2006. When I was there, all Classics now have disc brakes and the models that got the upgraded axles also had it. Additionally, the new rock guards (higher than previous models) on select models also is in full swing.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 12:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Should I order a standard oven or the cook top and convection oven? A third question,any opinions on the lounge skylight?

thanks
I envy you getiing an '06 with the disc brakes and beefier axles.

My wife and I have the convection oven and skylight in the "lounge" - I would have called ours in the living room, but maybe this is the same.??

My wife is not a big time chef, so the convection oven suits us just fine. It has taken her some time to get familiar with it (I just use the microwave) but now that she's more familiar with it, she seems to like it. We don't fell like we gave up anything by getting it, and appreciate the extra drawer space instead of the conventional oven.

I kind of like the skylight, but in hindsight I'm not sure I would get one again. I got it thinking we'd appreciate the extra sunlight, but everything seems to be plenty light enough even when we close the shade on the skylight, which is pretty often. Even though we spent last summer in MT where the summer sun can be blazing hot in mid-day, I can't say that I felt it was getting too hot with the skylight -- of course we often close the shade, as I already said.

Of course it's just one more thing to have problems with, plus we found that the shade material used on the skylight is a "bugger" (no pun intended) to clean, when my wife swatted a mosquito that was on the shade one day - the spot will never come out, I'm afraid.

If you are thinking of getting this skylight, I would suggest spending time on a dark, dreary day in an Airstream similar to what you are ordering that does not have this skylight. Open the other window shades and see if it seems light enough for you. If so, then you probably don't need the skylight.

John
Old 05-24-2005, 05:56 PM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
With the new sidelights I wonder whether the skylight has the impact it used to? You might want to visit one and see.

I know on my '04 the skylights make a big difference, albeit any time you put a hole in the roof, you have a possiblity for a leak. As a matter of fact my Classic is at the dealer right now because my center bath skylight developed a tiny leak during the last trip. I'm not sure whether it is a defect in the skylight itself or potentially is just a bad job of initial caulking.

Just understand that the annual roof inspection and maintenance becomes extremely important since those roof penetrations will eventually have their caulking crack. Its just a matter of time and weather.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:32 PM   #8
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Should I order a standard oven or the cook top and convection oven?
thanks
Most people don't use the oven while camping. There are a few exceptions, but most want to be in the great outdoors, doing great outdoors things, not baking stuff. Fulltimers may do more baking, if you are planning on living in the trailer, you probably should get an oven. Our little trailer that was primarily used for weekend jaunts, looks like the oven was never used since 1972.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Guess I'm an exception!

Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
Most people don't use the oven while camping. There are a few exceptions...
I love to have fresh baked cookies for an Open House, hot snacks for Happy Hour, Cinnamon or Orange Rolls for breakfast, cobbler or pie for dessert. No, I don't bake everyday, but it's one of the great pleasures of having a trailer vs a tent.

And yes, I do get out & do all the 'great outdoor things' too!

Stop by anytime!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:52 PM   #10
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
You've got company! I use the oven as well. I even figured out how to make great toast in the oven - one less appliance to tote. The thing I avoid doing in the trailer is frying - it took forever to get the sticky off the ceiling from years of neglect - I'm not about to redo that job!

My culinary goal is to successfully cook a souffle in that old oven - screwing up courage - still.

On edit: propane ovens make great fresh baked french bread - it needs a moist heat to be really perfect!

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
Most people don't use the oven while camping. There are a few exceptions, but most want to be in the great outdoors, doing great outdoors things, not baking stuff. Fulltimers may do more baking, if you are planning on living in the trailer, you probably should get an oven. Our little trailer that was primarily used for weekend jaunts, looks like the oven was never used since 1972.
Most people don't use the oven in there house, so why do they have one. We use the oven because it makes the happy hour dishes that everyone loves.

Never tried bread, but will have to.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 08:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet

On edit: propane ovens make great fresh baked french bread - it needs a moist heat to be really perfect!
interesting thought...is there more moisture content in the combustion of propane vs. natural gas...
janet: im sure you will succeed with that souffle just take into consideration that a cu. ft. of propane does not have the same b.t.u. content as that of natural gas....that said, you may have to adjust the oven temp.
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 10:16 PM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Both convection and standard are good in my book, just that if you boondock and you don't bring a gen, then the convection oven isn't going to be too useful. I like the standard oven and we've found several work arounds when it comes to the BTU issue of Propane.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 10:46 PM   #14

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We've always struggled with the ovens in the past due to hot spots and issues of burning things, even though we cooked to recipie specks. Thought the convection would be a nice change of pace.

Problem is that the turntable in the convection oven never turns off when the convection or microwave is running. This causes problems with square or rectangular trays which fit into the oven but can't clear the walls if they turn.

This plays havoc when attempting to heat or cook prepackaged food in aluminum trays.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote