Old 05-25-2005, 05:51 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
[QUOTE=

Problem is that the turntable in the convection oven never turns off when the convection or microwave is running. This causes problems with square or rectangular trays which fit into the oven but can't clear the walls if they turn.

[/QUOTE]
i hate when that happens.....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:03 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Brighton , Michigan
My wife had to have the oven when we ordered our trailer 9 years ago and has used it may be 4 or 5 times, we are now considering a new trailer and she does not want the oven and perfers the storage space. It became even more evident when we spent 2 months in the trailer this winter, storage is more important.
The skylights are nice for extra light, however MUST be inspected at least once a year for attachment. I had problems with both my skylights where the skylight cover broke around all the screw holes. The cover is held on with 12 #8 sheet metal screws, see my skylight photo album for what happened and my repair. The trailer we had before this current one had the Vista View windows which never leaked and now are avaliable again. We would now order with the Vista View windows and leave off the skylights.

Jim

Old 05-25-2005, 09:09 AM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
We've always struggled with the ovens in the past due to hot spots and issues of burning things, even though we cooked to recipie specks.

I'm having browine flashbacks!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:11 AM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple 1
The trailer we had before this current one had the Vista View windows which never leaked and now are avaliable again. We would now order with the Vista View windows and leave off the skylights.

Jim
I'm with you on that one. I've read that the vistas do add a good deal of front end light...for the rear, it's still a challenge without the skylight. When we ordered our '04 Safari, the front had a skylight option, for the same reasons you state, I passed, particularly after seeing some of the on the road repairs from ones that were not kept up and started to, or actually flew off in transit.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 05-25-2005, 09:33 AM   #19

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I'm having browine flashbacks!
For those who don't know this private joke, two years ago at the first Moraine View rally, my wife was baking brownies in the oven. Next to us was Twink and of course the delecate aroma was blown towards his trailer. Unfortunately the crack oven we had it the Safari managed to burn the bottom of the brownies while the top half wasn't finished. Needless to say our silver claded neighbor almost had a meltdown when he didn't get a taste.

Hopefully we made up for that last year, when Jack managed to figure out the controls of the convection oven in the new Classic, and provided a fair sampling of brownies to the Twinkmister.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:22 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
1992 25' Airstream 250
anywhere , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
I'm ready to order and I'm waiting for the dealer to get back to me on a revised price for a 2006 34' Ltd. based on any price increases and the new axles and have two questions. Should I order a standard oven or the cook top and convection oven? Also, does anyone have personal experience with Colonial Airstream? A third question,any opinions on the lounge skylight?

thanks
Craftsman,

We had an oven in our 2004 Bambi and used it to store pots. never baked in it. With our 2005 30 Classic, we went with the convection/microwave combo. We use them both a lot. It's good to heat up something quickly in the microwave or even make cookies (not burnt) in the CO. Just lower the required temperature by 50 degrees.
For the turntable in the Convection/microwave, I use the Kitchen-Aide Silicon bakeware (red). I trimmed the end of the square pan and it doesn't hit the walls of the oven. Plus it is soft and can be rolled up and put away. No more rattling of the pans.
Skylights were a must for us for the lounge and bath. They provide light when you are parked close to your neighbors and don't want to open your window shades.
Both our trailers were purchased from Colonial Airstream and they did a good job in delivering what we wanted, all the options, a very thorough walk-through. We would go again with them in 10-15 years when we get ready to upgrade again.
If you wish, you can send me a private mail.

Sonia
Old 05-25-2005, 01:59 PM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
For those who don't know this private joke, two years ago at the first Moraine View rally, my wife was baking brownies in the oven. Next to us was Twink and of course the delecate aroma was blown towards his trailer. Unfortunately the crack oven we had in the Safari managed to burn the bottom of the brownies while the top half wasn't finished. Needless to say our silver claded neighbor almost had a meltdown when he didn't get a taste.

Hopefully we made up for that last year, when Jack managed to figure out the controls of the convection oven in the new Classic, and provided a fair sampling of brownies to the Twinkmister.

Jack

Yummy!
Old 05-25-2005, 06:01 PM   #22
Craftsman

Just received the price quote from the dealer and it seems to be very good. I ordered the 34' with limited package ,queen bed, 15000 btu ac , larger refer, leather couch , both skylights ,generator prep, solor package and the cooktop with convection oven, stacked windows to the right of the door and left of the door. I didn't order the audio/video package because I would like a 17' or 20" in the living area and a 15' in the bedroom and I figure I would shop for a sound system. Deposit goes out tomorrow. Is there anything that I'm forgetting or missing? Kind of scary.... the big plunge.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:28 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
sounds like you are going to have a great coach....but i think you forgot the automatic peanut butter spreader...
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 01:55 PM   #24

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
Is there anything that I'm forgetting or missing? Kind of scary.... the big plunge.
I'm not sure what goodies the Limited Package includes, but you may want to order the spare tire (assuming its not standard). I know on my trailer the carrier was standard but not the tire and wheel. There really aren't too many more bells and whistles you can add that I'm aware of.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 07:33 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Post I realize many RVers disagree...

We have both gas oven and microwave.

I wouldn't want to go without the gas oven -- we've had the trailer less than a year and only use it for vacations and some weekends and we have used it a lot for baking... it's part of the camping experience for us.

My mother has the micro/convection in her motorhome and does use it successfully but the inside of the box is pretty small... I've suggested we add a gas oven for her.

Tom
P.S. Brownies are important on the road!
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 07:36 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

I assume the trailer you're ordering comes with two Fantastic Fans as standard. We get a lot of daylight in through them. And I wouldn't EVER want to be without them. Tom
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 04:36 PM   #27
Craftsman

Looking into insurance and got a quote of $1000.00 every six months for insurance on the 2006 34'Ltd. Could this be accurate?
Old 05-31-2005, 04:45 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Hobe Sound , Florida
We have an 02 Classic 31 and are thinking about trading for an 06 Classic 30 slide-out. We love the floorplan of ours, but no dinette. The credenza/corner table is perfect for our tv. Where does a tv go in the unit like you have???
Thanks.
Jen