Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2005, 05:59 AM   #1
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Northborough , Massachusetts
20's 30's Where are you?

As "the Mom", I intentionally stayed out of this discussion initially to see what the response would be. Interesting. Some supportive, some suspicious or threatened. Hmmm.

We are very active in WBCCI and the NE Unit. We have grown our Unit and are interested in attracting members in the "younger" category, say the 20's and 30's. We seem to be low on those members from a percentage standpoint and would love to see those numbers grow. The New England Unit has seen its membership decline over the past years and is now experiencing an explosion of active and new members. We are so fortunate and have a great mix of working people, some 20's and 30's, some retired and lots of families. Our youngest AS owning member is 16, then 18 and Jeep at 22, with several member families in their 30's. We now have other 50 something members interested in hooking their kids up with vintage AS trailers and getting them on the road with the club.

As an active member of the Unit, Jeep is trying to find ways to contact other "younger" members and find out what would make them join, what rallies or activities they might participate in. Their expendable cash situation may be different, activities may be different, expectations may be different. (I remember being this age and tied up with college, career, buying a first home and having very little extra time and money).

I am wondering what would bring the 20 and 30 somethings into the WBCCI? How do we bring multiple generations into the club? For the future health of the club we need the interest of the younger members now.

Great effort, Jeep.

You're causing discussion on this issue and that's always a good thing to raise awareness. Keep up the good work and let us know what WBCCI can do to interest these age groups in joining. I hope this gets off the ground.

"The Mom"
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 06:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
I still have not voted. Not sure if I want to weigh in and have my "vote" counted.

Kimber and I are in our mid-thirties. That may make us too old to be included in the Youngsters, I'm not sure.

What I do know is that we have found that although many of the WBCCI members have higher numbers in their year count, they are all very young at heart when compared to other people with the very same year count. I think there is a magic at play here that self-selects people that enjoy life and think "young", they stay more active and make the most of everything.

I also agree with Rivetdude:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetdude
I don't think for a second that young people can't get along with older people. The fact that a young person is an Airstream owner by itself I think shows a higher level of maturity in the first place.
I certainly think that the "younsters" that own a trailer and participate in this forum, parks, rallys, etc. have certainly (in my biased observation) proven to be self selected in the area of maturity. ok, well sometimes.

Do the youngsters need a special area? Maybe. I just don't know. I'm not feeling a huge need for one personally. Maybe a separate chat area might work, but we could do that just by selecting a different chat night.

Hmmmm..... this post wasn't much help at all.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 06:56 AM   #3
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Hi, thanks for the feedback. You are in the much sought after age group, so your insight is valuable.

The basic question is really; How do we attract more of the 20 and 30 year olds to the WBCCI? What would be of interest? One of the great things about this age group is how high-tech and plugged in you all are. So that's why the forum is so important as a venue for communicating. The idea of a particular forum for the age group isn't to discriminate in a negative way, but to direct to interaction toward a "like minded" forum. But, still the bigger question is outside of the Youth Forum idea.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
Youth forum! Youth forum! Youth forummmmmmmm........................

Sounds like a great idea Jeep! I'm sure my 20's something daughter would become more interested in the forum and attending more rallies with her family if she knew there were people there she could relate to.

So..........let's ALL vote YES for a Youth Forum. It would definitely keep the AS thing alive for generations to come!

Gail

BRN-2905
NEAC of Region 1
AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 05:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam
Hi, thanks for the feedback. You are in the much sought after age group, so your insight is valuable.

The basic question is really; How do we attract more of the 20 and 30 year olds to the WBCCI? What would be of interest? One of the great things about this age group is how high-tech and plugged in you all are. So that's why the forum is so important as a venue for communicating. The idea of a particular forum for the age group isn't to discriminate in a negative way, but to direct to interaction toward a "like minded" forum. But, still the bigger question is outside of the Youth Forum idea.
I'd be more than willing to talk more about this topic. I'm not sure we should hi-jack this thread for that conversation, but I find it very interesting to think about how the WBCCI can compete with all of the other opportuities that lie in front of 20/30 somethings.

Kimber and I have talked about all of the knowledge that we can gain from everyone in the WBCCI and how important it is to capture that knowledge of great places to visit on rallys and even what it takes to set one up. There is so much to learn from all of those who are young at heart.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

Old 09-28-2005, 05:55 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Moved from "Youth Forum"

I have split this thread off from the original, so the youths and young adults can better follow their subjects of interest.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:07 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
Not to digress but Airstream is selling more trailers now than in quite some time but the WBCCI is shrinking. I am with Pam on asking how to attract this newer younger Airstreamer. It seems like everyone from the VFW to the Boy and Girl Scouts are in the same boat. Is life too busy today to get involved in clubs and organizations? Sorry for not providing any answers but I will be giving it thought and looking for responses from others.
Bradjun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 10:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradjun1
Not to digress but Airstream is selling more trailers now than in quite some time but the WBCCI is shrinking. I am with Pam on asking how to attract this newer younger Airstreamer. It seems like everyone from the VFW to the Boy and Girl Scouts are in the same boat. Is life too busy today to get involved in clubs and organizations? Sorry for not providing any answers but I will be giving it thought and looking for responses from others.
Brad,

I think you have touched on a major part of the answer, or at least the problem.

Keeping in mind that the following may sound like generalizations and I am fully aware that there are always families that are exceptions in all generations. Please feel free to disagree with my perceptions, as the experiences and observations I have had are not the same as everyone elses. I'm putting these out there as ideas to shoot at for the sake of starting a discussion that hopefully will help bring some ideas.

I think there is a serious impact on the WBCCI and other social organizations (read: Knights of Columbus, Rotery, etc...) all based in the fact that the adults in families are putting in between 100 and 120 hours a week at work. (I know your family had two working adults, Brad)

I think there is a lot more available today for entertainment. I think there is a lot more competing for a families dollars. I think travel has grown global over the past few decades (for the average American) than it has been. The world has shrunk for 20/30 year olds, as travel abroad, although not free, has dropped as a % of annual household income.

I believe that families today have their children involved in many more organized activities than ever before. This is also impacting available time for families. I can't tell you how many parents I've discussed this with. Parents have been bombarded with stories of kidnapping and other unspeakables, which impacts the way children are raised today. Anyone who thinks this is a new problem, vs. a newly revealed problem and newly publicly broadcast by faster more pervasive and global media, may well be fooling themselves.

I've had several discussions about how much time we used to spend unsupervised away from home, etc. If we were board, we were told to go play outside, or go to the park, or run to the store for me. Parents today have been scared away from some of the things that were acceptable just 25 short years ago.

I also think there is a bit of an impact associated with a loss of social planning with both adults working long hours.

In my family, Kimber and I also spend many weekends traveling several hundred miles to see and visit parents, grandparents, brother's and their families. We have a hard time having free weekends, and holiday weekends tend to be used for these family trips so there is more family time and the weekend isn't consumed with driving. We put a lot of effort into attempting to stay close with our families. Is it fair to say that the average family in the US is spread over greater distances now than it used to be?

There really isn't any logical thread to my thoughts here, other than I think all of these things play differently and many times additively for families today than they have in the past.

We are members of WBCCI and have attended as many of the parties as possible (e.g. Christmas and Valentines), but have not managed to attend any rallies to date.

Not having the history of WBCCI, have 20/30 year-olds ever been a significant segment of WBCCI? I know the Airstream has been considered the Cadilac of the trailers for decades, and would have to assume it was priced that way. It is safe to assume there were fewer used trailers available. Were 20/30 year-olds able to purchase an Airstream? Is the ownership of Airstreams fairly new to the 20/30 year old segment?

Old 09-28-2005, 10:03 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
1961 19' Globetrotter
Phoenix , Arizona
I think its important to maintain the balance, but more importantly have the outlet for "Generation X" communication available. Overall the value and reason I found this forum is based on the knowledge and information AFTER I purchased an Airstream...or two, now.. As an early thirty something, I think its cool that folks my age that have started families have a common interest in finding each other, since we share a similar interest. I dont doubt that all of you are alright to hang with at rallies. But today, my interest is to find ways to re-do my 'streams, and if a rally should be close enough to our neck of the desert, I'd go over a weekend. But to find ways to take a road trip to spend a week on vaca, like you younger guys with families, my kids always want to go to Disneyland. They like the camping gig for weekends. So we would look for regional type get togethers that are short term and planned in advance. My two cents.. And thanks for the karma last month overlander63.....I'd camp with you anytime ...
jsmith351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 10:20 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

I'm 39 and holding (until this November anyways), does that mean I can consider myself included in this demographic?

According to what I found online:

Generation X is considered those born between 1965 and 1975...

Generation Y is considered those born between 1979 and 1994...

What about the unfortuante ones born in 1976, 1977, or 1978??
toddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 10:24 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
1961 19' Globetrotter
Phoenix , Arizona
Funny.... I thought "X'ers" were 1970-75 and the "e-Generation" was 80+. Where did youfind that???
jsmith351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 10:32 PM   #12

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I think the 'youth' are spread too few and far between to look forward to running into each other at rallys, but if they can feel more involved by finding people their own age to talk to here, then more power to them. I'm on the upper edge of 'youth' as defined, we work and don't have time to get in too many rallys. It's great to run into people our own age when we do, though we enjoy all the people we've met in the club with only a very few exceptions.

I think it is interesting that all social clubs are hurting right now. I was shocked when I took my car to the local mustang club show last month. I was surrounded by 60 year olds, for the most part! Now I think of Mustangs as something young people do, in fact I regularly tell myself I really should outgrow them sometime. Turns out even the Mustang club is struggling to figure out how to bring more young people back into their club! You know at least half the Mustangs on the road are driven by the under-40 crowd, but they don't join clubs. So the club is growing old and dying, just like the elks, moose, WBCCI, etc! It really is a shift in the way we live.

When I was a kid my Grandpa was an Elk, and a member of the Moose Lodge, and I think the Lions too. He volunteered, and he and Grandma loved to go down to the lodge and play cards and meet their friends on Friday night. People just don't do that sort of thing anymore.

It's a shame because we really enjoy getting out and going to a rally now and then. I have to admit the annual dues are hard to pay, knowing we'll only make it to a couple rallys a year. I can see that stopping people who don't participate much, and don't have a lot of cash to spare.

Another thing is the entertainment at WBCCI activities. It can be a little old. We had a cowboy poet at one rally, and he was very good (I bought his CD and I enjoy listening to it) but he encouraged everyone to sing along with "Strawberry Roan", and I felt really young, because we were the only ones in that room who'd never heard of it. Then at dinner one night we made a Simpson's joke, and it was clearly lost on the people around us. Normally we communicate with friends our age via Simpsons jokes

So, I don't think I have any answer, I'm just rattling on. I guess it will take someone smarter than I to put it all together and unlock the key to this problem.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 10:47 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Actually, there are a lot of us (and I can back this up with some study or another) who think that the break between Baby Boomer & GenX came between 1961 & 1962.

There is a huge generational gap between me & That Man I Used to Date despite him being born in '57 & me in '62. I've found that difference to play out with most of my friends' & relatives' families as well.

As for the "youth" thing, it might be tougher to pinpoint that demographic than you might think. Those of us who are 40-something, single & childless, for instance, might have more fun with a bunch of similar 30-year-olds than we would with a bunch of couples our age with 3 kids apiece.

and if it's the joy of playing & running & making a game with whatever ball is to hand & chasing with the dogs ... if that's what historically separates the younguns from the other 'uns whose hobby is sitting on a folding chair & watching & getting fatter, well, let's ALL get a little bit younger!
Old 09-28-2005, 10:56 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
Mark,
When our kids were little we used to send them out to play just to keep them busy without any fear, But later we were into highly regulated team sports like Hockey and Volleyball. When we traveled it was a family event and we all went togeather even if it was to watch the boy shool pucks or the grils play volleyball we did it togeather, But our camping in those took a real beating There was no family time.I also have a large extended family as does my wife. Last summer we new baby's birthdays and a few funerals to top everything off wwe even had a wedding to attend. these alwasy happen when the unit has a great week end planned, What's a guy to do? I have tried to made a unit event for over 2 yers and it just aint happening. We bring our children down to the Airstream park and they love it but they just don;t have the time to spend their.They are starting careers and the need to buy homes and wally Byam is way in the back of their mind.Does the unit have to start providing events that interest this group at a time when they can be available to participate? Maybe even more geared to school childern and younger children. Look what's selling out there today. It's the small family camping units not the 34 Limited.I think these folks want to go weekend camping and take thier kids. Sounds like a good plan. I'll bet a good local 5-6 day sight seeing tour would attrack several younger menbers, This must be done over a spring break or corispond with other school vacations Evevnts would have to br planned for children Good Luck Brad
Bradjun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 10:11 AM   #15
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
All good comments

All good thoughts to read.... We have been in WBCCI for 10 years and I was just turning 40 at that time. We were the kids in a Unit with an average age of members being about 70. Our son, Jeep, was 12. We didn't make every rally, but, managed about half of the ones offered every year, then went to international and headed south for a week or two in February. Initially we bought the AS and called it the "escape vehicle", because my office is attached to the house and the only way to escape work and clients was to head out for the weekends. We were able to escape the rat race, spend time outdoors together and slow down. No real tv, no real telephone, etc.

(We do travel with tv, cell phone and laptop/printer. With the idea that I could work if I had too. It never seemed to happen though...once out of town for a couple hours my stress level dropped instantly.)

We had gotten through our 30's with a pop-up and had owned a home since we were in our early 20's, so our money was in our real estate and our time was in our professions, childs school, after school activities and sports. Now at the age of 50, we make most every rally and truly value every moment we can be away relaxing, hiking, touring, kayaking ...or whatever. Maybe everyone is truly too busy in their 20's and 30's to make a major commitment to a club like WBCCI, but participating in one or two rallies a year can be the hook and pave the way for when 50 hits you head on and you have more time and money.

Jeep is in his 20's, getting the business off the ground and tries to make a rally or two a year. Not too much time is available for rallies at this point. He is restoring the Tradewind and finds the club and the forum a vast resource for information and helpful hints. So, I think there might be other people his age, who can afford a vintage trailer and may tackle a restoration, as opposed to having the funds to purchase a brand new AS.

Now I am rambling toooo....

At any rate, I don't have any answers yet, and am just thinking out loud. I for one enjoy our New England Unit of WBCCI, as it has a truly great mix of ages, backgrounds, experiences and professions within the membership, so that we are never bored. The club would not work nearly as well if we were all the same age and background.

So, I encourage all ages to join in and attend when you can.

Keep posting your thoughts on attracting this age group. I am enjoying the reading.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:04 AM   #16
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
I don't qualify in this age group either - but as a boomer I still feel like a kid at WBCCI events I've attended. I guess age is a relative thing.

If there's concept that has been reinforced by the people I've met it's that interesting folks of any age are fun to hang around with. The common threads in this community seem to be a love for adventure and inherent wanderlust.

I haven't met a single "streamer, of any age, that is just along for the ride; they are all fully engaged, living in the world rather than on it.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 11:48 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Then at dinner one night we made a Simpson's joke, and it was clearly lost on the people around us. Normally we communicate with friends our age via Simpsons jokes
Oh man, Stef, you gotta get back East for a rally with us. I think Doug (my Doug, the other half of dougjamie -- doh!) is the king of Simpsons humor/trivia. He's started my 7y.o. on it already. Help! -J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 12:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Great thread so far...Thank you to all for your thoughts and ideas.

Spending more time thinking about our life...

We have a vintage trailer. It is in pretty good shape, but will always have something to fix. Many younger 'streamers will start in this price range to see if they can allocate enough time to the lifestyle.

I think one opportunity might well lie in "working on trailer improvement rallies" that have happy hours and unstructured campfire social evenings. These could be single or double night events. Who can pass up the opportunity to have someone with AS knowledge help fix something on your trailer. Who can pass up free labor? I'd love to learn about polishing from Brad, even if it wasn't on my own trailer. For those who don't know, I hear Brad has a beautifully polished trailer.

These rallys (or "informational / recruiting opportunities") could employ many of the learnings we have right here in this forum. The challenge is to find a way to also invite those folks not in WBCCI, or this forum. (Marketing & Sales function).

OK, so the idea has only talked about vintage or the secondary sales market so far. Let's turn to the new trailers buyers. I'm not sure what to do here. I don't have any data on the volume of new trailers being sold in any given region. WBCCI "should" (nice guilt word) be in constant communication with the local dealership and know when a new trailer sells. What an opportunity! Win/Win/Win.
- Dealership gets post sale support (without major cost I might add)
- New owner gets exposure to WBCCI, gets tips and training on camping in their new Airstream, gets instantly welcomed into the AS family (all assume new buyer is willing or interested)
- WBCCI has the opportunity to help spread the Airstream value, name, reputation, and present itself to new owners

Part of the key for WBCCI is to get to a critical enough mass of 20/30 somethings so that they can decide as a group what events best fit their lives. Just like Jeep and his suggestions for the forum.

WBCCI has morphed to its current form as the generations have chosen directions that make sense for them. Until we can get a critical mass of a new generation there wont really be enough pull to create events, gatherings, etc that work for this new group. The key is to hang on to those that show interest long enough for them to get "re-enforcements" This is the part that I struggle with. I know there has been a lot of debate in this forum about some of the traditions of WBCCI. I completely agree with Steph: it is hard to pay dues for something that may not be providing me with obvious value. (It hasn't been bad for me because I love to learn from others, and WBCCI has some great people to learn from.)

I know what Steph means when she talks about situations like "Simpsons".

Quick Quiz:
1) Who knows what this references?
2) Anyone? Anyone? <----- another quiz question (hint: movie reference)

The winners: Please state your decade. 30's, 40's, 50's, etc...

Old 09-29-2005, 01:01 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Send a message via AIM to JeepinAudiophile Send a message via Yahoo to JeepinAudiophile
WOW, what a great Thread- this is exactly the discussion I was hoping to evoke.

I have read through it all and have a few comments.
The comment by stefrobrts about dying younger involvement in the groups is right on... it's true, but I don't feel that it's out of disregard for the groups. For example, I have been driving jeeps since I was 16, loved them used the first one off road almost every day. It wasn't until I was 20 when I chanced upon another jeeper that told me about an online Jeep cherokee XJ site (naxja.com) I had a love for the jeep, and wanted to modify it- I had no idea there was a group that existed both online with forums and offline doing meets, rally's, shows, and offroad trail runs... turns out this group was over 12,000 members strong.

I was able to meet others with the same interests, find deals, get tips, etc. Had I known of it earlier I would have been involved sooner. My point is that to this day, had that person not stopped me, talked to me expressing his similar interest I might not know to this day about the group. It's the same comeraderie, and feel I get with the Airstream groups and I feel that if we can reach out and show people that there is a group that is willing to help them with their troubles and guide them along the way- I KNOW they would be more likely to tackle the job of owning and taking care of a piece of vintage american heritage.

Wow I guess everyone is wordy today...

I would really like to continue but I have some work to do at the shop... I will try to get back on later today if possible, but I hope this was a tasty little morsel to chew on until I get back....

Keep up the excelent thread... at this point Im not necessailly pushing a youth section specifically... instead I hope that this will continue and touch many members of the club and open them up to push forward. By this I mean to take the extra step to show "youth" of all ages that there is a wonderful and inviting group of people here that would very much like to see them bcome interested in a lifestyle that we love so much- that we wish to share it with all around us.

Lets bring some new members in and show them what it's like to have thousands of inviting, helpful and loyal friends.(as long as you don't switch to an SOB...lol)

WBCCI # 13657
++Take a look at my restoration photo album++
https://picasaweb.google.com/ChadsAirstream
JeepinAudiophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 01:10 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Send a message via AIM to JeepinAudiophile Send a message via Yahoo to JeepinAudiophile
Just to add a little bit extra, once you know people are out there to help you and interested in the same things... you keep coming back... This weekend I will be driving up to NH to attend a GMC Sierra Denali meet from www.Denalitrucks.com at epping raceway, next weekend I will be attending the wine rally with the WBCCI... I'm still an active member on www.naxja.com as well as another local jeep club called Weekend Jeepers.... You just need to be shown the light, and you will forever have friends in these clubs.

WBCCI # 13657
++Take a look at my restoration photo album++
https://picasaweb.google.com/ChadsAirstream
JeepinAudiophile is offline   Reply With Quote