Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2016, 09:47 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Port St. Lucie , Florida
1984 31' excella

So my wife and I have been looking for an airstream for a few weeks now. We thought we finally found "the one", although I had some concerns. I noticed when I initially inspected it, that it had some half assed repairs done to the holding tank covers. It looked like it had sheet metal screwed onto it from the inside, with duck tape around the edges to hold who knows what. We tested them out by filling up the tanks and found that the grey and fresh water tanks began gushing. The black water tank seemed to be fine.

How much do you all think it'll cost to have those replaced? Parts seem reasonable, but I imagine labor to be much more. TIA
Stuartsnook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Just so happens I had the fresh water tank on my '86 31' Sovereign replaced in the fall of 2014. The total for parts and labor was $751.82 and was split 60/40. Labor vs parts.

That was at JD Sanders in Alachua, FL (always quality work).

Since a lot of the labor is getting the cover on and off, I suspect you could do all three for about $1500. The tank itself was only about $150.

My 31', which is essentially identical to the one you are looking at, has turned out to be a delight to own and tow.

Look for softness in the floor, especially under the front and rear windows and just inside the door. One of the previous owners of my rig got behind on his preventative maintenance and had some chronic leaks so I had to replace about a third of my sub-floor. Not expensive but really tedious and time consuming.

If you do buy an Airstream, do yourself a favor and get it leak checked by someone with a SealTech machine first thing and then every other year. Costs about $200 but it will save you so much time and potential grief that it is money well spent. The big Achilles heal of any RV is the hull. Keep things dry and you will be a happy, happy camper.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:43 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Port St. Lucie , Florida
Cool Mike thanks for the advice... didn't end up getting the camper it was nice but far from perfect. i called a few places today and they all said minimum 2,000 if everything was perfect. I know the tanks are cheap.but it would take quite a bit more time then i was willing to put into it. Also, Noticed the flooring was coming up around the toilet. And Noticed a few other damp areas and found the two tanks to be shot..and the owners told me it was perfect. So I drove three hours to Tampa fl. To find those issues.. and the owner wanted $14,000. So I dont think it was a good deal to start with. What do y'all think?
Stuartsnook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
$14k is a mite pricey considering the tanks and the floor.

The search is always tedious but if you are patient, I think you can do a lot better.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
The right rig will come up at a fair price. Be thankful that you could look before you bought. Many people don't have that chance and end up with a nightmare. Be patient!!
Chris
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:54 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Port St. Lucie , Florida
Thanks guys. Y'all are right...
Aaron