Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2011, 11:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
1981 Airstream International 31' Trailer

I just agreed to purchase a 1981 31' Airstream International trailer. It is in great condition with the flooring replaced with linoleum and everything working great. Is $6200 good price? Also, will the 80's models keep their value the way the earlier models do? Please let me know if there are any concerns for this period in the Airstream production timeframe. I really appreciate any help everyone can provide.
lubbockgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Sounds good to me. Everything working great is especially nice.

Soft or deteriorated flooring (under the floor covering) has been what I had problems with on my other trailer. Slow (or bad) leaks eventually cause rot, and insulation issues.

The furnace is probably also old, so carbon monoxide is a concern, even if it seems to work perfectly.

Tires and bearings and brakes are usually neglected by sellers. Just be aware. Tires will rot just sitting there, even if they are not wearing out the tread.

Someone else will have to tell you more about the axles sagging and how to gauge the life left.

Post pictures if you can.

Good luck, and have fun!

(Buffett RIP 9/15/08, Gus RIP 12/22/15)(Roger RIP 12/30/20, Penny RIP 6/14/21)

1997 34' Excella WBCCI 5936
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubbockgolf View Post
I just agreed to purchase a 1981 31' Airstream International trailer. It is in great condition with the flooring replaced with linoleum and everything working great. Is $6200 good price? Also, will the 80's models keep their value the way the earlier models do? Please let me know if there are any concerns for this period in the Airstream production timeframe. I really appreciate any help everyone can provide.
The price sounds good,Through some pictures on if you can. Anything 30 years old will have some issues weather it has been sitting or if it has been used. Definitively have it checked over. Enjoy your trailer!
Keep Stream'n
Doug

https://tinman54.blogspot.com/
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:16 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1987 34' Excella
Bonifay , Florida
I have an 87. Check around the floor in the rear of the trailer, I have split twins and found a little bit of floor rot from water coming in b/w the outer skin and bumper.
jsapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:19 AM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
lubbockgolf,

I'm not sure why, but there seem to be very few early 1980s Airstream trailers out there. I'm guessing that AS was going through market difficulties then, but perhaps someone can enlighten us on that.

I agree with the other posts, put up some photos, maybe there's something we can see to give you some things to look at.

Also, there are a lot of Airforums members in Texas, so I would encourage you to look on the Portal page (the one you land on when you log in) for the little box on the right hand side that talks about getting help; an Airstream Inspector.

To your question, I am not aware of any particular problems form that time period, but as has already been pointed out, any thirty year old vehicle is bound to need work, and the help and inspector can give you can be invaluable.

Best of luck!