Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2002, 05:28 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to plentycrafty
1972 Tradewind

Hi Everyone! I'm totally new to this Airstream game and I'm hooked on them. I'm considering buying a restored 1972 Tradewind 25 ft. and I just can't seem to find how much the thing weighs!! I drive a 2001 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8, auto. trans. Thanks in advance for your help.
plentycrafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 07:27 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Tundra

Ok, Let's try this again (I started a new thread with this response a minute ago)...

You should be fine with that setup. I have 2001 Tundra 4X2 V-8 as well and am pulling a 72 Ambassador which is 29ft and weighs 4950 dry (7100GVWR). Of course the trailers running gear will need to be in good shape because you will need the braking help. Load equalizing hitch. Change the factory 4 pin wiring harness to a standard 7 pin (check the trailer to make sure). Add a brake controller to the truck, which is easier said than done as the Toyota's apparently don't come pre-wired for them. I use a Tekonsha brake controller. Oh, and make sure to add a transmission cooler if your truck doesn't have one.
That's all I can think of for now and I am obviously not the most experienced so I am sure others will chime in and fill in any gaps.
Dave-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 08:50 PM   #3
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Trailer weight

Hi plenty,

Check out this link
http://www.airstream.com/cgi-bin/faq...&id=1017111694

They have a complete table with trailer weights and tongue heights available.

I own a 1971 Tradewind, and I tow it with a long wheelbase van. It is a trailer that tows very easily, but it has a pretty high tongue weight. I think it can safely be towed with a Tundra, so long that you get the right setup. An weight equalizing hitch with sway control will be a necessity, not a luxury witht eh short wheelbase of the Tundra. Also, I would follow Dave-O's advice and get a good brake controller and am auxilliary transmission cooler. Check out the other threads in this forum on tow vehicles. There is a lot of information on the subject already.
My trailer weighs about 4300lbs empty. I am estimating 5500lbs travel ready with a few gallons of fresh water and empty holding tanks. Maybe more......gonna have to take it to the scale one of these days. The Tradewind is a good size trailer for travelling, big enough to be comfortable and private, not too big to get into smaller camp ground spots, and easy in traffic. We love ours. Welcome to the Airstream Forum.