Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2016, 08:41 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Russellville , Arkansas
1972 Ambassador international Center Bath

New to this whole process, I posted in the specific model forum and then noticed that most of those haven't had a post in months or a year so I am moving it here.

I have a chance to buy a 1972 Ambassador international with center bath for 1500.00 and wondering whether it is worth it. I am wanting to redo the whole inside the way I would like it. Stove, fridge, and bed and couch are missing. All cabinets are there and look to be in good shape and bathroom is intact with a hole in the floor pan. And the curbside window will need to be replaced. The two main things I am concerned about are the floor rot in the back curbside with a possible spot in the frame loose from the wall and two small holes in the exterior curbside and one on the roof silver dollar size. Its musty smelling in there due to the leak so I figure I will have to pull the walls down and replace the insulation. Just trying to get an idea for all I have to do if this price is reasonable. And what someone who has gone this route thinks of the repairs to be done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160819_122436.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	394.5 KB
ID:	269570   Click image for larger version

Name:	as1.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	606.1 KB
ID:	269573  

Name:	AS2.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	545.0 KB
ID:	269574   Click image for larger version

Name:	as3.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	596.7 KB
ID:	269575  

Name:	as4.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	325.4 KB
ID:	269577   Click image for larger version

Name:	As5.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	269578  

Name:	as6.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	374.8 KB
ID:	269579   Click image for larger version

Name:	as7.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	269580  

Name:	as9.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	357.2 KB
ID:	269581   Click image for larger version

Name:	as10.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	269582  

amberlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Center baths are uncommon, but not rare. Center baths in Ambassadors I bet are more uncommon than Sovereigns. Given that, $1500 is a great price. If worse comes to worse you could flip it. The rot is not that bad, but will probably need replacing that floor panel. A lot of the prep work is done.

Don't let your emotions get the better of you. If you do the work yourself plan on spending 15 to 20K and a couple of years in restoration.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
That is not bad. Center bath is easier to repair since you don't have to remove the bathroom to fix the rear floor.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 01:37 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Russellville , Arkansas
Not really sure what you mean,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Center baths are uncommon, but not rare. Center baths in Ambassadors I bet are more uncommon than Sovereigns. Given that, $1500 is a great price. If worse comes to worse you could flip it. The rot is not that bad, but will probably need replacing that floor panel. A lot of the prep work is done.

Don't let your emotions get the better of you. If you do the work yourself plan on spending 15 to 20K and a couple of years in restoration.
Not really sure what you mean by don't let your emotions get the better of you. I am asking for sound advice from those who have been there done that. Are you saying its not a good idea? Or I shouldn't do the work myself that it would be less or more to have someone else do it? Just want to make sure what you are saying.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberlink View Post
Not really sure what you mean by don't let your emotions get the better of you. I am asking for sound advice from those who have been there done that. Are you saying its not a good idea? Or I shouldn't do the work myself that it would be less or more to have someone else do it? Just want to make sure what you are saying.
It's a great idea if you have the time, money, skill and determination.

There are a lot of project trailers out there half finished because the money and time involved are grossly underestimated. It is not rocket science, but it is a lot of grunge work. Has to be a labor of love and not a financial investment, because you probably won't get your time and money back out of it.

But there is a lot of advice out there. You are wise to seek advice "from those who have been there and done that". Especially before you start without knowing what you are getting into. There is also a lot of well meaning but useless advice from those who don't know what the hell they are talking about, so keep your BS alarm on.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:43 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
That price is reasonable. You should be expecting to do a full frame off restoration on that, 'the full monty.'
Expect to repair the frame, replace the floor, all tanks, install grey water tank and re-insulate as you've already mentioned. Then build it out as you like.

Lots of searches you can do here for info.
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza View Post
That price is reasonable. You should be expecting to do a full frame off restoration on that, 'the full monty.'
Expect to repair the frame, replace the floor, all tanks, install grey water tank and re-insulate as you've already mentioned.
IMHO There is not enough information yet to indicate a complete frame off restoration is necessary. While not a bad idea, the only damage reported in the thread is a fairly small area of subfloor rot. Undoubtably, there will be undiscovered damage that also needs repair.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:17 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
IMHO There is not enough information yet to indicate a complete frame off restoration is necessary. While not a bad idea, the only damage reported in the thread is a fairly small area of subfloor rot. Undoubtably, there will be undiscovered damage that also needs repair.
Very true but, years of old auto restoration experience and a old steel frame surrounded by lots of green lush vegetation would suggest to me that the frame will need some work regardless what the inside floor looks like. Just a guess.
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:52 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Russellville , Arkansas
Thanks for all the wonderful thoughts. We will be getting it next week. And yes I think there will be a spot on the left back frame that needs repaired for sure. My husband works at Automotive Body Repair Shop and we have access to the tools we need so he said he isn't scared lol. And since I just got it bought for me as a gift now I am super excited. So we will have no money in the initial purchase. We definitely plan on making it our own and taking our time. Would you all recommend replacing the panel on the curbside front that has the two holes and large scratch. I think I saw one for 500.00.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	as9.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	357.2 KB
ID:	270563