Old 03-14-2017, 01:12 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Austin & Santa Fe , TX & NM
OMG!!!! I am so sorry that this happened!!! Do make sure that the Sheriff's Department has the V.I.N. and issues a BOLO (be on the look out). Check the online sites, make sure you opt to search nationally.
I'm motivated now to take one of my old iPhones, with basic activation and leave it hidden on a charger with "find my phone" ON. Good luck and I hope you can recover her.

Old 03-14-2017, 01:24 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Hollywood , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscoMN View Post
Are there cities that the scumbags would have to drive through that may have traffic cameras that can be checked? Airstreams do stand out and your window is somewhat small to search. It would be great to get a license plate!

Great idea! Also, next time you might try and hide a motion detector camera somewhere in hopes of capturing an image of the perps.

Old 03-14-2017, 01:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashi View Post
Sorry my first post is a sad one but I thought to reach out to you all for any advice. I recently bought 5 acres of land in Joshua Tree and fenced off 1/2 acre for my newly purchased 1972 31' Airstream to have a weekend getaway spot.
The fence was locked. The Airstream had a hitch lock and the wheels/axles chained and padlocked. They cut through the fence, cut the chains and towed it away between March 6th and March 12th. I went to the property and the Airstream was gone and our little cottage burglarized. It was there for a total of 9 days. I filed a police report and will start putting up posters with a reward tomorrow. Any other advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Is there a reason you haven't provided US with the VIN and/or other identifying features? If it comes onto the market, one of us might realize we're looking at it. (I suspect the VIN plate will be exchanged with another stolen one. In the aviation business, it's not unheard of to steal an item like a radio... but then install it into a different airplane which has the same equipment... the actual theft being the second radio, which is never reported stolen because the owner/pilot didn't know his was taken.)
Another scam is to take the dataplate off a wrecked vehicle and place it onto a stolen vehicle. The authorities continue to look for the VIN/dataplate which was tossed. Only if an insurance-investigator happens to notice that a "totaled" vehicle appears on the registry in a different part of the country ...will the vehicle be found... and the perpetrator is already long-gone with the money... the latest buyer finding he's bought stolen property he must relinquish. (Incredibly, ... sometimes otherwise honest people will purchase a "deal too good to be true"... and later suspect it's actually stolen property-in-disguise... but keep quiet about it, reluctant to lose possession.)

A variation is when VIN/dataplates are swapped between two identical vehicles with no apparent reason. Only after one of the new owners finds the vehicle he bought months previously has a lien against it does he find he's bought a stolen or swapped VIN. (This can also happen when the vehicle is taken into a dealer for service and the dealership-network finds an unpaid invoice is outstanding and a mechanic's lien has been filed.... a really good reason when purchasing to run title-checks and insurance-claim records on the VIN... and also take steps to assure that the seller is obligated to perfect-the-sale and retain all obligations against the property. I'm not a lawyer... just have observed repossessions that I've been hired to transport.)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:36 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Stillwater , Minnesota
Dlaker

Wow, what a bummer. We have the same concerns as expressed by others regarding leaving AS for the day and coming back to find it gone. I have to ask, what type of hitch lock were you using and were you're safety tow chains protected. This information could be useful to many. So sorry for you.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:41 PM   #19

1976 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Gilbert , Arizona
man that really stinks

I saw your post on Craigslist.

You might want to use www.searchtempest.com - it allows you to search all of Craigslist (nationwide) for your unit.

This really got me thinking into security measures. Gonna do some research on that now.
Any additional pictures might be helpful. I live in Phoenix and if they are heading west with it they probably are coming (or came) through here.

Best of luck!

Tom
Old 03-14-2017, 01:45 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
Sorry to hear your trailer was stolen! Good idea about survailence camaras, I think every trafic light in California has many that view all directions at an intersection. Maybe the thieves drove through an intersection and were recorded. I don't know who you would have to visit to see the recordings or how long they are retained, they might not be kept for long unless there is an accident.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:20 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Los Angeles , California
GPS trackers from now on
Old 03-14-2017, 02:23 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
We have been using the GPS trackers on boats for several years, very good idea.
Those were some determined thieves. Might be a good reason to not polish an older trailer. Very sorry to hear about that. Checking cameras in nearby towns sounds like a good idea also!
Old 03-14-2017, 03:17 PM   #23
Classy Roscoe

2017 30' Classic
1969 31' Sovereign
Kerrville , Texas
Somebody traveling down your road local or someone at the dealership knew it was there. To much planning went into the heist. Bet you it is within 10 miles of you.

So sorry for your loss. GPS tracker is going on our Cloud tomorrow.

Hope you are made whole very soon.

J E
Old 03-14-2017, 03:32 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Haute-Aboujagane , New Brunswick
Sorry this happened to you. I would also check ebay and kijiji. I really hope you find it
Old 03-14-2017, 03:37 PM   #25
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
Very sorry to hear about your loss. If it was only there 9 days, then it may be someone local and may now be sitting on someone elses country lot. It might not turn up for years until someone tries to title it and get tags. Make sure you provide police with any pictures you have along with detailed description and VIN etc. Vin plates can be swapped, but, the legal number is stamped in the front tongue frame rails and that overrides the VIN.

I was on a caravan this fall boondocking and one of the younger couples who had installed a system with a cell phone link to keep track of their dogs. It was accessed with their phones and told them the GPS location and temperature inside the trailer so if they were out and the generator and AC quit they would know to go back. I wonder if that could be programmed to call you if the trailer moves and then give GPS info to track. You could also install a system like Lojack which is a theft deterrent system for tracking for cars.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:59 PM   #26
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , Ontario
Here is a thread on the SPOT Trace. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f317...ff-155115.html
WBCCI #6497

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:19 PM   #27

1973 25' Tradewind
Fullerton , California
Airstream Theft

A neighbor had their Airstream stolen from their driveway after months of construction work on their home. It was found in Riverside stripped and discarded. To be determined if insurance is going to total the rig.

It's one thing to plop your rig in a field, but it certainly is another when you take all those safety measures. I hate it for you. I detest people that take things that don't belong to them!
Old 03-14-2017, 04:51 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
I checked out TrackR...had a slow frustrating exchange with their online support person (Pauline). My initial question was simply, can the TrackR device be set up to send an alert if the item to which it is attached has been moved? Never got a direct answer after several exchanges with Pauline. But short answer is the TrackR works on Bluetooth technology. It sends alerts to your smart phone. So once you get beyond about 100' you are not gonna get anything. Get back within 100' and press the locator button on your phone, it will return an alert signal. It will NOT send an alert if someone moves your item. If the thief takes your item (your trailer, for ex) and you are not within 100' when you attempt to find it, you are out of luck!@

Tags
sovereign