Old 06-13-2004, 08:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Question 1971 airstream

I just bought a 1971 Airstream Overlander. Everything is original except for the front couch/bed. I am not sure about the carpet (orange/green/yellow mixture). Should I leave it original or update it completely? Thanks, first time restorer/owner.

Old 06-13-2004, 08:33 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
use it for awhile

Welcome! Mine 71 Safari was also very original when I bought it a few months back. Still is. It's growing on me. Very functional design and layout. Actually, I am repairing the various things that need repair or replacement and doing a general cleanup. But right now, other than possibly new upholstery, I can't imaging ripping it apart for a renovation - it works too well just as it came from the factory. Plus it is fun to be in something so retro! I plan to travel and use it for the summer and by then I think I will have a feel for what I want to do with it, which might be leave as is... I would suggest that before investing too much you see how you like camping in it.

Old 06-13-2004, 08:55 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Smile 1971 airstream

Thanks. I do have an odor problem (musty/mildew). I think it is the carpet. Maybe after replacement it will smell better. All the appliances work great- I don't think anyone has ever used the stove. I am alittle worried about what I can't see - under belly and under floor.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:47 PM   #4
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by happier
Thanks. I do have an odor problem (musty/mildew). I think it is the carpet. Maybe after replacement it will smell better. All the appliances work great- I don't think anyone has ever used the stove. I am alittle worried about what I can't see - under belly and under floor.
Well, here's hoping for no nasty surprises! The carpet in our 67 stank to high heaven (filth, not mildew). Removing it revealed interesting stuff:

1. Floor rot in the bathroom and at the door
2. A multitude of "nails" from pop rivets
3. Several very large concave washers (we'd wondered what those bumps were under the carpet)
4. A very small adjustable wrench

Lynn
Old 06-14-2004, 02:01 AM   #5
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Hi Happier:
I've removed the old carpet (certainly yellow -orange when new ) because, sure, there was an caracteristic odor, whith the humidity and the time...
Now, it's a red style wooden floor and it's marvelous; No more odor problems, no problems for the dust, for the water...
See on my Gallery; i think the look is great.

Welcome in your community.

Bruno.
My AIRSTREAMLIFE ning
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 04:11 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Congrats on your new A/S , To me the question weather to leave original or or update it lies soley in you .In my case I chose to clean up what I had but did replace the carpet and plan to do so again after this season ,the prevous owner did have it reupholstered ,but did an awsome job with it .Just as Lynn mentioned mine too the the famous bathroom rot .Here is a link to some pics of my Tradewind..... http://www.vintageairstream.com/arch...Tradewind.html
Old 06-14-2004, 09:10 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Question 1971 airstream overlander

great pics 71 tradesinds. Can anyone tell me how to find a replacement plastic rock shield from the front window. I have ther original one on it now, but it is very yellowed and brittle? Also, is the blue I see painted on the trim outside really a bright blue?
Old 06-14-2004, 10:16 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Happier, If your shield looks like mine ,you can find a local plastic shop and buy new Plexiglass or Lexan.I chose Lexan its alot tougher than Plexiglass.The paint I used was just bright blue Rustoleum.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:38 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Question 1971 Airstream

I pulled out the old carpet today and found a section of the original carpet in one of the small storage areas. It wasn't orange/green/yellow like the carpet I removed, but bright multi-colored green shag carpet. The piece I found looked brand new. I still can't believe that anyone would chose this color. Oh well, it was the 70's.

Can anyone tell me the best way to check for structural integrity under the floor without removing it? Is the undercarriage removable?
Old 06-17-2004, 10:57 AM   #10
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
You can drill out the rivets under the rear bumper, and drop a few feet of the rear belly section to check the bathroom floor. There is llikely to be soggy or otherwise yucked up insulation in there, so watch your face when you take down any section of belly pan. Installation is the reverse of removal - just rivet on the sections you loosened up.
Also, take a good look at the flooring right near the entry door.
Most other suspect areas ( like under the galley sink etc.) can be inspected by looking inside the cabinetry, and poking at the floor with an ice pick or an awl.
You can check for plumbing leaks at the same time. A nice bright flashlight and inspection mirror go a long way!
Good Luck,
Old 06-17-2004, 12:33 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Question 1971 Airstream

Is it safe to remove the entire underbelly? Pardon my ignorance, but is there a gray water holding tank on the 1971 airstream overlander? If not, can I install one? My bath is in the back. Should the black water tank be replaced if I take the underbelly off? What are potential problems?
Old 06-17-2004, 12:38 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Question 1971 overlander furnace

First time owner needs to know.
Is the gray box I see under my stove the furnace? There is a louvered vent in the side of the cabinet by the door. Is this where the heat comes out? I was told that the heat has never been used. I see two thermostats in the camper, one in living/one in bedroom, should they control the heat? The air conditioner is newer and is controled by a knob on the unit.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:48 PM   #13
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Is it safe to remove the entire underbelly? Pardon my ignorance, but is there a gray water holding tank on the 1971 airstream overlander? If not, can I install one? My bath is in the back. Should the black water tank be replaced if I take the underbelly off? What are potential problems?
You can only remove the center section, up to the "banana wrap" pieces, which are the curved sections that meet the lower rub rail.
Potential problems are stuff falling in your face, and the propane line connections. The front section should have a fair amount of copper tubing for teh propane appliances.
It should not be necessary to remove the entire section, ubless you have multiple problems to address.
I see no reason to replce the black water tank, as long as it is not leaking.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:56 PM   #14
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
First time owner needs to know.
Is the gray box I see under my stove the furnace? There is a louvered vent in the side of the cabinet by the door. Is this where the heat comes out? I was told that the heat has never been used. I see two thermostats in the camper, one in living/one in bedroom, should they control the heat? The air conditioner is newer and is controled by a knob on the unit.
The thermoastat in the living area is likely the one for the original ( if equipped) A/C. The olde Armstron A/C systems had a remote thermostat, much like the on in a house.
The thermostat in the bedroom usually works the furnace.
The furnace is located where you see the furnace vent on the outside skin, usually under the galley. It typically is a huge gray or tan box. You should be able to remove the front cover to inspect it.
I would have the furnace serviced and safety checked before before taking it into service. Rusted burner chambers kan kill people due to exhaust gas poisoning.
A search for " furnace on this forums will give you many posts with this topic in detail.