Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2003, 08:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 with no title

1965 25 foot airstream with no title, what are the risks? Is it worth a gamble.
fish eyed fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 09:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I'd check with your...

...state department of motor vehicles.

You might also offer to buy it thru an escrow, with payment made if you get the title, and the seller gets the trailer back if you don't.

The risk, of course, is that you have a trailer you can't legally use on the road. In that case, you're in the Airstream Parts business....
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 06:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Is title required?

North Carolina's DMV website says you can get a replacement.

Quote:
How do I get a duplicate title? If the original title has been lost, the registered owner can apply for a duplicate title by following these steps: Complete the Application for a Duplicate Title (MVR-4), in the presence of a notary. The application must be completed exactly the same as the original title was issued. Furnish a $10.00 duplicate title fee. If the original title has a lien on the vehicle, the lienholder must complete the bottom portion of MVR-4 in the presence of a notary or furnish a lien release. All applications for duplicate titles must age 15 days.
Tell the owner to go get it and then you have no problem. Don't let this become YOUR problem!

If registered in another state, check their regs. My state doesn't title vehicles over 25 years old.

-- RL
rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 07:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
I'm in GA and GA doesn't require a Tittle on cars or trailers after I think 15 years. You about have to beg them to get them to transfer a tittle. Contact your DMV and see what they require. I doubt they are much different then GA. They should be able to do a tittle search but the average person at the counter may not know how. If so speak to the Supervisor.

I recently sold a 1970 Suburban to a gentleman in TX. His state requires a tittle. Since it was a out of state vehicle They wanted a Bill of sale and a copy of the GA code stating "no title needed due to age". I called the DMV and they were able to fax me a copy of the code to give the buyer. TX then generated a new TX tittle to comply with their code.

Might check into that if your buying the camper out of state.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 09:30 AM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
During my hunt for an airstream I came across a fixer-upper locally with no title. I told the guy that I would buy it if he got the title. He continued to contact me with lame excuses for why he didn't have the title yet, but wanted me to come buy it. I held out and finally he either gave up or sold it to someone else. Either way, no title, no money changes hands in my opinion. If it's easy to get, then the seller can get it. If it's not, then there might be a reason you don't want to get involved. All I know is that the DMV is a stickler for details, and you don't want the headache they can make for you if you show up with a vehicle and no title, at least not here in WA!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 06:17 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Depends on the state, check with your DMV or where ever you get your title tranfered. most will look up the VIN and give you the last registered owner. I was thinking of doing this with a VW in SD.
In South Dakota you had to mail the last reg owner a certified letter stating your intentions( getting the title) If the letter is returned by the USPS then your would beable to get a duplicate title.
In NY state the last owner had to request the dup title.
you could see about a homebuilt trailer, there are ways to do it.

Tim
Airstreamlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 06:51 PM   #7
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
I agree with everyone else. Check with your local DMV folks. They'll let you know what you need.

I had a similar situation a few months ago where I nearly bought a pickup truck for storage fees from a mini-storage. There was no title, registration, or plates. I checked the VIN, and it apparently hadn't been registered in any state for six or seven years. There was no information on file anywhere.

Iowa said that with a valid bill of sale and a VIN verification that they would issue a new title.

Best of luck!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 10:37 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

There are companies that do this for you for a fee{$150} AS I RECALL....one on the east coast and the other in La...'net search them....geof-in-Cincinnati
geof is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags