Old 08-31-2003, 10:01 PM   #15
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
My Trade Wind was a so-called "park model" although that term came about later. It was kinda funny to look at the ground through the commode while standing in the bathroom. Digging a gopher hole was not an option for me. I located a black water tank from a '60 Traveler and built a box above the floor for it just like the factory did it. Now it has a leak. Get to go in there again and make the necessary repair (yuk).

4CU 2699 / AIR 10 / TAC AZ-1

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 07:54 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
As I understand it there was not such thing as a park model. The standard series Airstream back then did not contain a number of the features that would be used boondocking. The land yacht serices did come with more self containment. Wally really intended his trailers to be used - not sitting in a park for any lenght of time.

The hole in the toilet thing was more a thing of the times. You were encouraged to dig a "gopher hole" to dump your stuff. The reason for the valve being directly under the toilet was so you could use the toilet without it getting clogged - therefore allowing you to dump directly on the ground. I'm not making this up - things were a little different back then. I can remember as a boy scout we were encouraged to trench our tents - thats a big no no now.

Ken J.

Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 08:19 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Let me expalin what I mean when I call something a "Park" model. I mean a coach designed to be used in RV parks or campgrounds.
Our unit is self suficient. It has a 12v electrical system and camewith RV propane powered Reefer and water heater. It has a black water tank and a freash water tank and a way to operate the water system while boondocking.

A "Park model" would be a unit that needs full connections to function.
Our newest owner has a "Park model". His came with 110v water heater, reefer, and lighting. It has no battery provision that seems factory. Propane only used on stove and heater.

I never intended to sound like it would not be on the road.

1959 22' Caravanner
1988 R20 454 Suburban.
Atlanta, GA
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote