Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2004, 03:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Cool 1500 miles +++ And we ARE ALIVE!!!!

Well that was just too much fun - a whack of driving and a way too short holiday in the sunshine - but a well worth trip to pick up our new "Life-Style"!!! - Not to mention a great time meeting our "life-style savers" in Lafayette La.

Oh by the way - it has been eating me since the post back on ground hog day - but I had no time to rebut - so this picture is for the sole benefit of "Silvertwinkie" who just might have eaten far too many twinkies that day. Don't always believe what you read - and really be sure to do all your homework before you try and scare off people with those "pathetic little V-6 SUV's.

(And to those who do have a V6 all is not lost...)

Stay tuned for the good photos and some funny things along the way!
Attached Images

05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 04:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
I know this should probably be under towing but it is all part of our story of coming home.

With a little research and common sense we found out that the Kia Sorento actually has a towing capacity of 5000lbs. As they are so new the specs listed are actually from the Sedona Mini Van - even fooled the "Lemon Head"
Edmonston.

Nevertheless...with lots of relentless help from forum member "gymes" we rigged up the Sorento for her ride home - about to tow some precious cargo as gymes neighbour - fellow streamer put it as we were pulling away.

Package included: Class III Reese hitch direct mount to the Sorento "truck- frame" (not a unibody frame - as with many midsize SUV's) Installed by Kia along with a Custom RV wiring harness with some pretty peculiar wiring schematics - a total other story preferred not to tell in public - as there would be some choice words for Kia's wiring abilities)

With a brand new Prodigy brake controller (that fits perfectly in the left change cup when removed), 550 pound load levelers, with a single way bar mounted on the right - we were off. With a dry weight of 3300 pounds and 390lb at the tongue we have lots to spare when we get loaded up for future adventures. (now I don't think we will push the 10,000lb mark ha ha but 4000-4500 is not out of her league as one might put it.) She will be heading in for appropriate shocks, and additional coolers and her wiring sorted out before we head out on a loaded trip - not to mention we have a bit of restoring to do

The Kia travels great at about 70-80- miles per hour at 2500 rpm and could probably "fly" even more - but the pocket book from speeding tickets would get a little thin As we drove for over 700 miles in the poring rain the Sorento's AWD system was fab... when we hit the "hills" of Tennessee I-65 she managed a respectable 60-65mph at about 3500-4000rpms and coasted without a blink on the back side.

All in all we had a great ride home - but we will have to put together a little story book for you to read. But for now this is "Moon Unit" at the end of her trip waiting to be backed into her new home. In the spring a fancy new open air roof structure will be built to protect her from the elements - might even pave the spot to get her feet out of the soon to be mud in the spring!

Again to all who helped us with our multitude of questions two weeks ago - Thanks! I am sure we will now have 100's more.

Sent away for the owners manual today, and signed up with WBCCI - even got the same number - it was available. A bit unlucky on the service manual though - do not make them for the 69 - any suggestions? what about going to each appliance manufacturer??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kiacanto.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	4854  
Old 02-17-2004, 04:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Great update and images. Good luck on the trip.

Update us again on your trailer model?

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 05:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi Gus;

A little confused? - our trip has finished - left Lafayette at 11:30 am this past Saturday Stopped at a rest area at the state line of Tennessee and Alabama and braved the cold - caught some zzzzz's in the trailer - hoped there was nothing crawling in it- - has not seen anyone in it for quite some time I think? Got up at 7:30am and drove straight till we got home - North East of Peterborough arriving in the wee hour of 4:30 am Monday morning.

Gus she is a 1969 Globe Trotter - single axle, rear double with wet bath, parallel galley/entertainment and forward dinette - with all the bells and whistles. Will need to work on a few things but pretty much all original.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:36 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

someone mention my name?

Glad you had a safe trip. We had to drive about 1400 miles to get ours. It was quite a experience, didn't know how well everything would go, on its first voyage. Like you we used a 6 cyl Isuzu to tow with. Our trailer was a little smaller. Didn't know it was even back there. Good luck with your new A/S. Hope it was everything you thought it would be.

whistler
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 07:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Love my V6

Yeah, good to see that others have figured out that a good V6 is just fine for many vintage (lightweight) trailers. We don't all need big honkin' trucks.

I envy you that Globetrotter -- it's the trailer we really wanted, but then the Caravel showed up and we just couldn't resist ...

-- RL

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 07:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Did miss that you were finished. Thanks.

Am also glad it was a safe one. Hope there are many safe ones ahead.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
Old 02-18-2004, 07:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Congratulations on getting home! I brought my Argosy home six weeks ago and the biggest challenge was the hills and snows of West Virginia. Isn't it great how much more you can count on better roads up north....?

All the back-and-forth on tow vehicle and potential trailer research I did was greatly assisted by the generous and experienced participants in this forum. I didn't want to go above a half-ton truck and I can say new 25-footers that gross out at 6300 pounds push 1/2-tonners' GCWR. Just pay attention to that figure on your tow vehicle!

Other matters of import to a tow vehicle are as follows:
1. Transmission temperature gauge. Get one and stay out of the red to avoid premature destruction of your tranny.
2. Try to keep your Airstream's weight 10-15% below your tow vehicle's pulling capacity. Performance will be better but, more importantly, your tow vehicle will last longer.
3. Watch automatic transmission shift points if you tow in top gear (overdrive). Read your Sorrento's manual carefully. Some folks do fairly well with overdrive on descents and long flats. There is much advice on shifting down to 3rd in rolling country. Certainly do this if the tranny shifts up and down in such terrain --done repeatedly this raises operating temperature and is tough on transmissions. Dropping out of overdrive will keep you honest on the question of best driving speed for your load.

Your introduction to these forums was widely watched and welcomed last month. Please stay with us and share the adventures you will certainly enjoy in your area!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 08:37 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Thumbs up Hi Canoe Stream

Thanks for the kind words - you can bet we are here to stay - our humor may be a bit dry (English background) and our points a bit windy (Welsh background) - we won't mince words (Scottish background) and we will tell it like it is - for us that is.

"Our way or the highway" is not what we are all about - hence the billion questions on the forum.

We know we are going to have a lot of fun and hope to meet and make a lot of new friends in the world of Airstreaming - (be they white, square or silver bubbles).

We are young at heart - and still well under the 65 mark - but look to the experienced retiries and fulltimers for the recommended stepping stones of our new lifestyle to be.

On your tow vehicle advice - bang on! Kia has advised us the best way to drive in various conditions based on their particular engine and the use of the OD on or off conditions. This engine is a fiesty little thing that apparently loves to work hard - give it a slow life with minimum exersion and it will die sooner Kia says. (sort of like us humans).

Great idea on the temp guage - will get Kia to install along with the other items.

Looks like she will take the better part of the Spring and Summer to get ready (depends on how fast I can sew and clean) (cause I know Peter will have everything running by next week

We have lots of little stories just getting home - and I'm sure as we start to dismantel her for her referb we will have many more.......

This was the storm we so desperately tried to get a head of - however our first night in the "Moon Unit" we were so comfortable a two hour powernap turned into a full 8 hour sleep!!!! so guess what caught up to us!
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2004, 08:45 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi Gus

Just noticed that you are from Texas - we are strating to track down the history of our A/S.

We get to keep the WBCCI number and found out that the previous owner of the # is from Oregon. However, the person we just purchased her from came from in Louisiana got her from his Uncle in Texas.

We have found a few cards and names inside the trailer and it looks like it is going to be fun researching her history.

Cheers

SPK
Old 02-18-2004, 09:07 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Texas connection

Sounds like fun historical research.

Plenty of places in Texas to use her once you get ready. And rarely do you see that white stuff down our way.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
Old 02-18-2004, 09:09 AM   #12
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Be sure to post some pics in your gallery. I'd love to see how the front dinette looks.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags