Old 06-25-2003, 12:14 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Hmmm....another thought. Since my fridge is AC only, maybe I should just run a 120 cord from the Airstream to the bed of the truck, and run the EU2000i in the eco mode while enroute. The fridge draws 1.9 amps and starting current is 9 amps. Hard part would be positioning the Honda so it does not roll over during transit, while maintaining proper venilation.

2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 D/A Ext. Cab
Propane Powered Honda EU2000i
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 01:34 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Igloo cooler and dead battery issue

Jeffand Suzanne,
Sorry that you had a bad experience with the Igloo (sounds like we have the exact same setup). Maybe part of it was expectation. This type of unit is not meant to be a freezer, but rather a cooler without the use of ice. Comparing it a ice chest with 10#s of ice is exactly what this this type of cooler is capable of delivering. Not sure why the voltage cutoff did not work to prevent running down your truck battery, as it has worked perfectly for us ('02 Ford Explorer SportTrac) over several trips. The Igloo draws about 3 amps, so overnight use should only drain 35-40 amp-hours max (assuming 12 hours) and that should not have killed your battery. (vehicle batteries are typically 80-100 amp-hour). Not knowing the age of your truck battery at the time of the incident, it is impossible to know what happened, but batteries in vehicles are meant for starting (ie short, high current drains, followed by quick recharges). With vehicle batteries even a year old, draining them over a longer period and to a deeper level, can often expose issues that would not have shown up until later in the life of the battery. Older vehicle battery's current capacity degrades over time as sulfer builds up in the plates. This process means that the remaining current capacity of a battery at any given voltage (voltage is what the disconnect unit monitors) degrades. There is a point in a lead acid battery life cycle where there is precious little capacity beyond the needs of starting. So, you allow a device such as a cooler to pull 35-40 AmpHrs out, on top of what the residual vehicle electronics draw (even when the vehicle is off), and you have the situation where there is insufficent current capability to turn over the starter.

BTW, there is a way to greatly extend the life of a lead acid battery (beyond the normal stuff such as water, corrosion, etc). Pushing the battery voltage to 15.5V or so for several hours every couple of months (known as equalization) results in the build up of sulfur in the plates to reverse (ie the sulfur in the plates goes back into the sulfuric acid solution where it belongs). This makes more of the lead surface of the plates available for the chemical reaction. Unfortunately, car alternator systems do not push the voltage much above 14V, so the way to perform this on a tow vehicle battery is using an external charger with the equalization capability.

david & bret
'02 Bambi LS
'99 34' Limited
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 11:08 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
electric cooler

Our daughter had a Koolatron first and we liked hers so much we bought our own. It gets good and cold and we, too, use ours for food shopping on hot days and while taking food to the cottage. We have an extension cord and can put it in the way-back of the Suburban. Cupcake has two 12v plugs so we could use it in there also. Has anyone tried the heated mode yet?

sue and ike
'75 Tradewind - 25'
"Cupcake" air-912
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 07:40 AM   #18
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
heated mode

I tried it as an experiment when I first bought the cooler. It got nice and warm. Except for maybe heating something like baby bottles, I don't see much use for the heated mode. It didn't really get hot enough for food.
John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 03:57 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
We've used the heating mode

on several occasions. My wife's mother lives about an hours drive from here and we have picked up warm trays of lasagna or eggplant and the such for family functions there. I did a good job of keeping things warm until we got there, even in a CT December while it was in the trunk. The food wasn't hot, but at a very warm serving temperature, just the way I like it.
Stan and the Lou
Together Forever
BTW, that's MaryLou
sjptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 11:20 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
12v cooler - heat

That's good to know. You could wrap an oven dish to protect the interior of the cooler and arrive with a still warm dish to pass etc. This is good to know - I pretty much forgot about the heat feature and will have to test it out.

sue and ike
'75 Tradewind - 25'
"Cupcake" air-912
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote

12 volt